New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster"
Jul 11, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #61 of 584
Its not a special cable. Its literally your normal everyday 3.5mm to 3.5mm IC. If you look at your ibasso cable, the rught side is a TS 3.5mm jack. The one iBasso offers is a cable with two TS.

Theyre same size is the reason why they fit. Im just not sure if itll short anything... Which i dont think it will

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #62 of 584
It's finally done! Review of the D14 for those interested!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-audio-d14-bushmaster/reviews/13544

Also a question for those that know more about EE or stuff like that than I do. I like the DAC section of the D14 better than the DX90, so I would like to connect the D14 and DX90 via SPDIF, so I can use the DAC of the D14, rather than use the line out of the DX90 and use just the amp of the D14. The SPDIF cable that iBasso provides is bulky as hell. The connectors are the same size as your average 3.5mm jack, except theyre TS rather than TRS. If you use TRS and connect the two via SPDIF, it works and fits, but is there any sort of problems that might occur?

Very accurate review! Nicely done.

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #63 of 584
 Can you please provide a picture of this coaxial TRS to TRS coaxial cable? I own a custom coaxial cable to connect my DX50 with my micro iDSD and the DIY guy from which I got this cable, used an TRS plug instead of the TS plug which is used by default from iBasso. I have zero issues with this TRS plug on the coaxial connection since months.

And big thanks for your great review!

Very accurate review! Nicely done.

Thanks for the support on the review guys!

Also, here's a pic of what im talking about. The iBasso one is TS, the small profile IC is TRS

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #65 of 584
Its not a special cable. Its literally your normal everyday 3.5mm to 3.5mm IC. If you look at your ibasso cable, the rught side is a TS 3.5mm jack. The one iBasso offers is a cable with two TS.

Theyre same size is the reason why they fit. Im just not sure if itll short anything... Which i dont think it will

Hi,

thanks fo the reply, a coaxial cable has always an impedance of 75 ohms. My custom coaxial cable has also special coaxial 75 ohms impedance plugs, that it support to transport the digital signal.

The short 3.5mm to 3.5mm is only an analogue cable, normally this analogue 3.5m IC you got doesn't work if you connect this cable to the DX90 and the D14 on both coaxial outputs. It would really wonder about that if that would work, because it's no coaxial cable with 75 ohms impedance. My DIY cable guy did a deep research that I got this kind of very short coaxial cable. So currently you need to use that bulky TS to TS iBasso cable if you want to use the DAC from the D14, but I'm pretty sure like my custom coaxial cable you can get a short flexible coaxial cable, like my example but only with two TRS plugs instead of one TRS and one RCA.

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #66 of 584
Ya i was reading up and did see that theyre generally 75ohms. However the normal IC works with no problem and i dont hear any difference in sound. Which is why the only thing im not sure of is if im shorting or overloading anything unknowingly lol.

Im using it to connect coaxial out of DX90 with spdif in of D14

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #67 of 584
Ya i was reading up and did see that theyre generally 75ohms. However the normal IC works with no problem and i dont hear any difference in sound. Which is why the only thing im not sure of is if im shorting or overloading anything unknowingly lol.

Im using it to connect coaxial out of DX90 with spdif in of D14

Yes, coax digital cables are 75ohm and better shielded.  You will only run into problems with long distances in reference to dropouts using an analog cable in spdif applications.  Have you tried both cables (the ibasso one (coax) and the jds labs IC (analog)?  Any sound differences or dropouts?

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #68 of 584
Yes, coax digital cables are 75ohm and better shielded.  You will only run into problems with long distances in reference to dropouts using an analog cable in spdif applications.  Have you tried both cables (the ibasso one (coax) and the jds labs IC (analog)?  Any sound differences or dropouts?

Seems it should be ok then. No drop outs or difference in sound that i can detect

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #69 of 584
Seems it should be ok then. No drop outs or difference in sound that i can detect

You're good then. 
beerchug.gif
  For long runs especially in the video realm dropouts and lags occur.  That short distance in an audio application it's all good.

I recently caught this thread and am really curious in pairing this with my DX50 via coax.

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #70 of 584
Ditto.

Now that I have given up on gapless ever being supported by my HM-650, I may sell it and return to my old DX50 (with the new FW and a D14).

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #71 of 584
BTW, true gapless is not exclusive to Apple devices!

My Shinrico digital transport has perfect gapless support (and has never been anywhere near Cupertino).

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #72 of 584
Gapless works on DX50/DX90 with Rockbox with all formats perfect. I don't go back to Mango FW.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #73 of 584
Yes, but I would like to be able to play HD files...

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #74 of 584
How well do you think the D14 will fare with harder to drive headphones such as the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog?‘

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #75 of 584

You're good then. 
beerchug.gif
  For long runs especially in the video realm dropouts and lags occur.  That short distance in an audio application it's all good.

I recently caught this thread and am really curious in pairing this with my DX50 via coax.

The sound of the D14 is a pretty big step up from the DX50. I think you'd be happy with the results you get!

How well do you think the D14 will fare with harder to drive headphones such as the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog?‘

I dont havent anything super hard to drive, the HE560 being the most difficult, and the D14 did fine with that. Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back