NEW! iBasso D-Zero Mk2
Apr 9, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #226 of 334
  True, but in audiophile realm some people are willing to pay double-triple $$$ swapping gear to achieve only a marginal increase in sound quality. Micro iDSD costs more than Mk2 but it really surpasses the Mk2 in everything except its size. For those who afford shelling out $500 to get a wonderful (not necessarily portable but standalone) DAC/AMP - this is one of the best choices that currently exist on the sound market.

aye, hands down

May 5, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #227 of 334
This thread is going inactive, I know, but I just want to ask if I should get this when the E17k is just $20 more here in Singapore. I read reviews that the E17k is quite warm, which I don't like, and the reviews I read of the ibasso say that it is relatively neutral, and I want to know which is better.

May 5, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #228 of 334
From the looks of it the E17K is quite a bit bigger than the iBasso. So I think the iBasso is better portable. But the iBasso also has a noticeable hiss sometimes. It's only when no music is being played though. No distortion on playback and confirm that it's definitely neutral.
I can't say which one is better, as I have not used the E17K.
These are just my impressions of the iBasso after using it since December. 

May 6, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #229 of 334
Very nice exept that u cant control the sound volume in windows.. its currently rocking high volume at 0%volume on windows :) i guess this can both be a con/pro. only volume knob works to change sound level.

May 13, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #230 of 334
It says take digital signal from iPhone or iPad with CCK. Anyone got their idevice working on it? Will the lightning to mirousb adapter works the same as CCK, the CCK is just too long.

Edit : After searching around, I've read that the CCK and the adapter works differently, so it won't work. An amazon review said the CCK worked flawlessly. Time for Tidal..

Worked fine with my iPad and CCK. It does take digital out from the lightning.

May 13, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #231 of 334
May 14, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #232 of 334
what about the 30 pin? 

I will have a look later. Need to try and dig up the old adapter. I am not to hopeful though, as Apple changed digital audio out with Lightning and iOS 7. Now it will work with any DAC as long as the current draw is low enough (and if it is too high you can just use a powered USB hub inbetween) with 30 pin it was licenced. As far I am aware. I will try to check.

May 14, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #233 of 334
I will have a look later. Need to try and dig up the old adapter. I am not to hopeful though, as Apple changed digital audio out with Lightning and iOS 7. Now it will work with any DAC as long as the current draw is low enough (and if it is too high you can just use a powered USB hub inbetween) with 30 pin it was licenced. As far I am aware. I will try to check.

So the current line of apple products using lightning can be paired with any dac? I know that the 30pin Idevices need the MFI certification from apple in order to extract the digital Info.

May 14, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #234 of 334
So the current line of apple products using lightning can be paired with any dac? I know that the 30pin Idevices need the MFI certification from apple in order to extract the digital Info.

Yes (with CCK). But if they need too much power then you will get a 'this usb device needs too much power' message. In that case you can ad a powered usb hub between them and it will work (this is how I use my iPad with my Hifi DAC). Some portable ones will also do this though, so it is worth checking they don't need a hub if you want it to be portable. The D-Zero doesn't need one.

May 14, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #235 of 334
Yes (with CCK). But if they need too much power then you will get a 'this usb device needs too much power' message. In that case you can ad a powered usb hub between them and it will work (this is how I use my iPad with my Hifi DAC). Some portable ones will also do this though, so it is worth checking they don't need a hub if you want it to be portable. The D-Zero doesn't need one.

thanks for the explanation! 

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #236 of 334
Short question to all D-ZeroMK2 owners. Is it possible to run the D-Zero on a Android phone to bypass the battery?

I have a modded Samsung S4 with a large 7800 mAh battery so no problem to run this device like a attached to a regular desktop PC system or something.

Or does the D-Zero needs to much power to run without his built-in battery? Or can I simply change to "charge" and power off the device and attach, or would it work I keep it "charge off" connect the USB cable phone is already on and afterwards I power on the D-Zero to run like a normal USB DAC without battery use of the built-in battery?

I need only a little bit clarify before I order. Thanks in advance.
normal_smile .gif

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #238 of 334
Hi,
With the Dac set to charge, the ibasso will draw from your massive phone battery and will last about three days solid. What a good idea, I'm ordering a note 3 big battery now!

On another note I am using my D Zero less since going back to my Arcam Rpac, the Arcam running off the phone in USB 2 mode is simply stunning, with audiable improvements with soundstage, separation and positioning. But I do still love the D Zero for the smoothness and mild bass increase, there is a lot of excellent texture in the Bass as the string wobbles that the Arcam can't replicate, it's a good bit of kit no doubt.

I am hoping that when my Flare Audio R2a arrives shortly that the smoothness will match nicely for relaxing with a touch of treble bumped up possibly.

Jim
Short question to all D-ZeroMK2 owners. Is it possible to run the D-Zero on a Android phone to bypass the battery?

I have a modded Samsung S4 with a large 7800 mAh battery so no problem to run this device like a attached to a regular desktop PC system or something.

Or does the D-Zero needs to much power to run without his built-in battery? Or can I simply change to "charge" and power off the device and attach, or would it work I keep it "charge off" connect the USB cable phone is already on and afterwards I power on the D-Zero to run like a normal USB DAC without battery use of the built-in battery?

normal_smile%20.gif

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #239 of 334

normal_smile .gif

Can't bypass the battery.  The battery is either being used or being charged depending on the position of the charge switch.  As Jim said, your phone's battery will just be charging your d-zero's battery if you set the phone on charge.  Frankly, I would go with something like a Dacport if you don't need the battery.

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #240 of 334
Ok but I could charge the D-Zero during usage that it runs like "forever" with my 7800 mAh Samsung battery. I've just orded it, I will test how long will be the running time in real world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back