NEW! iBasso D-Zero Mk2
Mar 28, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #211 of 334
I looked at that one also maybe I will get the C5 w/o the DAC since I won't need it but maybe I should incase I want to use the DAC with my phone, to many decisions to make.

Mar 28, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #212 of 334
Hi guys, I'm testing my new iBasso D-zero with several players and devices and I am overall happy about it.
I noticed an annoying problem. I installed ASIO4ALL and the ASIO support component for foobar2000. When I play music I can hear a clear distortion. I tried to increase ASIO buffer dimensions and also the latency compensation but the problem still persist.
Did you faced the same problem? Any suggestion to solve it? ASIO drivers increase the quality of music but if it crackles... doesn't make sense.

EDIT:
tried also WASAPI drivers output. same crackling. Applied CStateFlags, issue not solved.

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #214 of 334
I have D-Zero Mk2 for a few weeks already and am pretty happy about its DAC with my PPA amplifier with OPA637AP chips in it. The overall sound is pretty pleasant and detailed with HE-400 headphones, but it still sounds a little veiled in terms of transparency, not 100% audiophile. I would prefer something more airy and cleaner, more dynamic maybe. This might be caused by the laid-back and dark character of OPA637AP or Wolfson 8740 or both, not sure.

How does D-Zero Mk2 compare against iFi Micro iDSD in terms of its DAC performance? I picked up a used Micro iDSD lately but it has not arrived yet. So I am just anxious to know whether the iDSD will be a huge upgrade in terms of DAC section, I still plan to use my favorite PPA with HE-400.

Thanks.

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #215 of 334
I'm also very interested to hear how the MK2 compares to the micro idsd. I use the se846 and ie800.

The se846 is really sensitive, and the ultra-sensitivity option of the idsd really intrigues me. But I hate how the idsd is like 10x the size of the MK2

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #216 of 334
  I have D-Zero Mk2 for a few weeks already and am pretty happy about its DAC with my PPA amplifier with OPA637AP chips in it. The overall sound is pretty pleasant and detailed with HE-400 headphones, but it still sounds a little veiled in terms of transparency, not 100% audiophile. I would prefer something more airy and cleaner, more dynamic maybe. This might be caused by the laid-back and dark character of OPA637AP or Wolfson 8740 or both, not sure.

How does D-Zero Mk2 compare against iFi Micro iDSD in terms of its DAC performance? I picked up a used Micro iDSD lately but it has not arrived yet. So I am just anxious to know whether the iDSD will be a huge upgrade in terms of DAC section, I still plan to use my favorite PPA with HE-400.

Thanks.

In my opinion, the Wolfson 8740's implementation in D-Zero mk2 gives the more airy, transparent and dynamic version of this chip, maybe due its dual configuration but in any case, extremely musical.

Comparing D-Zero mk2 with the micro iDSD is at least unfair, 5x price difference can't be  a serious comparison 
basshead.gif
 The ifi house sound signature is really enjoyable and you can forget all the gear and feel the music. The IEM match works really will with sensitive iems.

The D-Zero mk2 hisses a bit and the gain control works well but I'd like to see three positions instead of two, but again the price is mandatory I guess.

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #217 of 334
Today I got a replacement velour pads for my HE-400 and they do make a huge difference in sound in positive way. There is no more veil and the sound becomes more airy, cleaner and transparent, I like these pads better than the stock leatherette ones. Not sure what contributed to that change, but the acoustic cloth screen on the velour pads is thinner, you can almost see the planar driver through it. Also, there is less compression and seal with velour pads, I also had to add more volume on my PPA to reach the same output. The only thing I may not like much is the tamed bass, less seal compared to leatherette pads loses the bass a little, which is not a big deal to me.

At least the veil issue is resolved, I can definitely tell that the planar drivers in my HE-400 are on par if not much better than Beyer DT-990 in terms of treble and transparency, though both phones are great. What a revelation the Mk2 DAC output, I originally thought the Wolfson 8740 contributed to the laid-back and rolled off sound but after the simple pad upgrade, it is actually extremely detailed and musical DAC.

Anyone else who prefer the velour pads with planar headsets vs leather(ette)?

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #218 of 334
Hi,
I got my D zero Mk2 recently. I have basic query, correct me if wrong.
There is round knob on DAC unit which if turned towards volume wheel functions as ONLY DAC.
If turned towards opposite side, device functions as ONLY amp.
Is there any setting so that device would function as DAC- AMP at same time ? I think its not possible.
Kindly help, regards,

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #219 of 334
Hi,
I got my D zero Mk2 recently. I have basic query, correct me if wrong.
There is round knob on DAC unit which if turned towards volume wheel functions as ONLY DAC.
If turned towards opposite side, device functions as ONLY amp.
Is there any setting so that device would function as DAC- AMP at same time ? I think its not possible.
Kindly help, regards,

There's a little switch between volume knob and aux in/out.
Switched on the right: DAC + AMP. If you plug the phones in the "phono" out you get DAC and AMP functions, if you use the "line out" plug you get only DAC signal without amplification. USB plug on the back works as a "line in".

Switched on the left: only AMP. The in/out aux works as an "in" plug. You bypass the DAC circuit and get only the amplified signal via phono plug. You dont use the USB port.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #221 of 334
There's a little switch between volume knob and aux in/out.
Switched on the right: DAC + AMP. If you plug the phones in the "phono" out you get DAC and AMP functions, if you use the "line out" plug you get only DAC signal without amplification. USB plug on the back works as a "line in".

Switched on the left: only AMP. The in/out aux works as an "in" plug. You bypass the DAC circuit and get only the amplified signal via phono plug. You dont use the USB port.

Didn't know you could use the DAC without the amp. The sound quality is the same out of either port?

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #222 of 334
Didn't know you could use the DAC without the amp. The sound quality is the same out of either port?

You might check out this: http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/20141113/201411132259162695.pdf

To be honest, when I use the MK2 at home i prefer to bypass the amp circuit. I use another tube amp so i connect MK2 to my pc through the usb port then i plug lineout cable to my tube amplifier. The sound is warmer because of the tube and so I prefer it. I have to say that MK2 amplifier works well, expecially if you think iBasso cost just 110 bucks.

I never tested this product just as amplifier using aux port as an "in" port. I always prefer the USB plug.

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #223 of 334
Just got my iFi Micro iDSD today and comparing it to iBasso Mk2 it is definitely a huge step up in SQ and features, no questions about it. Do not get me wrong here, the Mk2 is a great device too that wins over Micro in terms of portability, simplicity and size, and it actually sounds way better its $100 price tag. I will keep both and just use Mk2 on the go or when watching movies, etc.
The Micro DAC section outputs more detailed and dynamic sound with better soundstage. It feels like you can literally touch the sound. The amp section of Micro is pretty good too driving my HE-400 without issues in Normal mode, the amp sounds pretty analytical and kind of portable to my liking, I would still prefer my PPA amplifier over the built-in amp for its more relaxed yet solid sound. PPA combined with Micro are both yielding completely portable, yet very solid audiophile sound now. I already spent a good couple of hours tweaking all the device options and plugins, currently playing my mp3 files converted to DSD512 using Foobar+plugins with Bitperfect filter applied, it really makes a huge difference compared to just listening to MP3. Maybe next steps would be upgrading the cables to DIY solid silver wires instead of using Monster Cable M500i that sound great but silver still gives a cleaner and more transparent sound.

http://1drv.ms/1a6Fu9F

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #224 of 334
  Just got my iFi Micro iDSD today and comparing it to iBasso Mk2 it is definitely a huge step up in SQ and features, no questions about it. Do not get me wrong here, the Mk2 is a great device too that wins over Micro in terms of portability, simplicity and size, and it actually sounds way better its $100 price tag. I will keep both and just use Mk2 on the go or when watching movies, etc.
The Micro DAC section outputs more detailed and dynamic sound with better soundstage. It feels like you can literally touch the sound. The amp section of Micro is pretty good too driving my HE-400 without issues in Normal mode, the amp sounds pretty analytical and kind of portable to my liking, I would still prefer my PPA amplifier over the built-in amp for its more relaxed yet solid sound. PPA combined with Micro are both yielding completely portable, yet very solid audiophile sound now. I already spent a good couple of hours tweaking all the device options and plugins, currently playing my mp3 files converted to DSD512 using Foobar+plugins with Bitperfect filter applied, it really makes a huge difference compared to just listening to MP3. Maybe next steps would be upgrading the cables to DIY solid silver wires instead of using Monster Cable M500i that sound great but silver still gives a cleaner and more transparent sound.

http://1drv.ms/1a6Fu9F

sounds good. though iFi Micro iDSD comes for 500 euros. It is five time the MK2 :D

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #225 of 334

...It is five time the MK2 :D

True, but in audiophile realm some people are willing to pay double-triple $$$ swapping gear to achieve only a marginal increase in sound quality. Micro iDSD costs more than Mk2 but it really surpasses the Mk2 in everything except its size. For those who afford shelling out $500 to get a wonderful (not necessarily portable but standalone) DAC/AMP - this is one of the best choices that currently exist on the sound market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back