New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Sep 22, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #211 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm starting to hear differences between the two amps with RS-1.

MKIV SE sounds much more detailed, refined and has probably drier bass. Oh, and soundstage is bigger too.

I+ on the other hand sounds a little thick and because of that doesn't bring all those nice little details up front (you have to concentrate to find them).

So next step could be to start some op-amp rolling to I+ to see if it can improve to MKIV SE level. I'm thinking of starting with 2xLT1028 or 1xLT1364.

Well, to be honest, if the I+ gets into MKIV SE territory it's doing something rather special.

OK, so I know of the MKIV through reputation, but i'm still intrigued by your comparison of detail - what tubes are you using in the I+? I've found with Ediswan EF92's the sound is amazingly detailed - in fact it takes all the (considerable) detail I can throw at it with my source options. On the flip side, with Mullard EF92's the sound did become, well, more tube like. Expansive, with a warmer LF and a sweet-as-a-nut top end. Mullard M8161 i've only tested for absolute function, but I have a feeling that they may give the best of both worlds with a few hours on them.

Still hugely interested in reading the tests on various opamps though
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #212 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killahertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, to be honest, if the I+ gets into MKIV SE territory it's doing something rather special.

OK, so I know of the MKIV through reputation, but i'm still intrigued by your comparison of detail - what tubes are you using in the I+? I've found with Ediswan EF92's the sound is amazingly detailed - in fact it takes all the (considerable) detail I can throw at it with my source options. On the flip side, with Mullard EF92's the sound did become, well, more tube like. Expansive, with a warmer LF and a sweet-as-a-nut top end. Mullard M8161 i've only tested for absolute function, but I have a feeling that they may give the best of both worlds with a few hours on them.

Still hugely interested in reading the tests on various opamps though
smily_headphones1.gif

My sentiments exactly...Those stock Ediswan EF92 are pretty good. I have rolled in all three families and everything sounds very good. I seem to always revert back to the EF92 setting. I posted in the other thread, the Mullard EF91 and CV138/6AM6 sound great also. It is not even close to being burned in yet, however, it is sounding better and better...

Would like to get into the opamp rolling world as well. Where do I get them and how do I do it?

I'm sure you guys/gals are good at posting some diagrams...

Thanks

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #214 of 805
Im about to get the basic one cause it looks like i can get a matched pair of upgrade tubes (like WE 408A) for a little cheaper than $50 on ebay, and i already have some other tubes i got for my MkIII.

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #215 of 805
Just got it. Couldn’t wait to try it with the SR325i. Lots of power and PRAT -this thing is fast! Doesn’t fall apart in tutti fortissimos in Turandot -Mahler and Shostakovich are next up. Got it with the cheap tubes and have 408s in reserve though so far I‘m very happy with the cheapies. If you have Grados and need an amp you may want to consider this little giant killer. PS The pictures don’t do it justice. It’s a very well made and elegant amp. If I didn’t know how much it costs and you asked me to guess, I’d say well over $200+ 'cause it’s a little gem.

Sep 24, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #216 of 805
I hope this is the fault of the tubes, but now I'm getting major channel imbalance at (really) low volumes. Bad enough that even when I switch the tubes around, sometimes the left side doesn't wanna work anyway for a minute.

Are new tubes the answer?
frown.gif

EDIT: To be detailed, it's not until I turn the knob to 20 that Elvis in mono is balanced. Until then, he hangs off to the right side of my head, and there's little to no sound coming from the left side. Disappointing.

Sep 24, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #217 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not until I turn the knob to 20 that Elvis in mono is balanced. Until then, he hangs off to the right side of my head, and there's little to no sound coming from the left side. Disappointing.

Sounds like a pot issue. Somewehere they had to cut costs... and the standard chinese pots are a pain in the ...

Three out of four "simple" (read cheap) amps have an imbalance at low volume. You should ask LD for a replacement pot (if possible of higher quality, even if you have to pay something to get it).

Sep 24, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #218 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by mapstec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a pot issue. Somewehere they had to cut costs... and the standard chinese pots are a pain in the ...

Three out of four "simple" (read cheap) amps have an imbalance at low volume. You should ask LD for a replacement pot (if possible of higher quality, even if you have to pay something to get it).

Ugh, another bur in my fur.... Thanks for the quick reply though; gives me an idea on what to do.
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #220 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope this is the fault of the tubes, but now I'm getting major channel imbalance at (really) low volumes. Bad enough that even when I switch the tubes around, sometimes the left side doesn't wanna work anyway for a minute.

Are new tubes the answer?
frown.gif

EDIT: To be detailed, it's not until I turn the knob to 20 that Elvis in mono is balanced. Until then, he hangs off to the right side of my head, and there's little to no sound coming from the left side. Disappointing.

Mine is perfectly balanced at the lowest level, so it may be something else other than the pot

Sep 24, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #221 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by katanka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is perfectly balanced at the lowest level, so it may be something else other than the pot

Hopefully it is that you have a "good" pot...

Give it a few more days and we will see...

Sep 24, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #222 of 805
Hello tube lovers!
Please tell me your honest opinion - if I listen to heavy metal music (stuff like Death metal, Black Metal, Hard Rock, Speed'n'Heavy), should I stay away from tube amps or even hybrid amps? I hear so many people praising the sound of tube amps, I feel tempted to try it. But I am afraid that the tube sound is not compatible for my kind of music.

If I buy a tube/hybrid amp, it will work in the following chain:
iRiver IHP-120 or DVD-player via optical or digital to Stello DA100, then to a tube preamp/headphone amp, then to the power section of NAD C320BEE (by passing its preamp section), then to AE Evo 3 speakers. I also bought Denon D2000 (some people say that SS amps are best for them).
I would really appreciate your opinion.
Thanks

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #223 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironmine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello tube lovers!
Please tell me your honest opinion - if I listen to heavy metal music (stuff like Death metal, Black Metal, Hard Rock, Speed'n'Heavy), should I stay away from tube amps or even hybrid amps? I hear so many people praising the sound of tube amps, I feel tempted to try it. But I am afraid that the tube sound is not compatible for my kind of music.

iRiver IHP-120 or DVD-player via optical or digital to Stello DA100, then to a tube preamp/headphone amp, then to the power section of NAD C320BEE (by passing its preamp section), then to AE Evo 3 speakers. I also bought Denon D2000 (some people say that SS amps are best for them).
Thanks

Well i listen to Metal as well, all kinds, and i bought this amp exclusively for my Grado SR 225, the match is very very good IMO. I do intend on getting a SS amp, probably a gilmore lite, but that will be for my HD 600 when i get those.

One thing i have noticed so far about this amp is that it has made the bass on my Grado's shine. It is much more there but still nice and tight.

Sep 24, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #224 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironmine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello tube lovers!

Thanks

Don't worry. My Little Dot's bring out the speed of RS-1 to life and heavy music sounds very very good.

Sep 25, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #225 of 805
gonna be pulling the trigger on a I+ in the next few days. I'm a current MK III owner and have really enjoyed it. The curiosity of the I+'s high current vs the MK III has me going. I'll be using the I+ to run my RS-1's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back