New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Sep 17, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #181 of 805
So if the midrange is so lacking on the Pro 750s, wouldn't you therefore want a very tubey sound to bring the mids out? Like a Darkvoice 332 or something? I imagine the accuracy and "shrill" nature of SS amps would just exacerbate the Pro750s sound signature.

Sep 17, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #182 of 805
Well, ****. The left side just stopped working. I verified it, so I know 100% it's the amp that's not working.

Time to contact David....
frown.gif

EDIT: Please, nobody quote this post. David has already responded, and he and I are working something out.

EDIT EDIT: See post #187; the amp works perfectly again. The tube pins were just being a little wonky.

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #183 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killahertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, i'm going to stick my neck out here and say: No!, the 750's (IMO) do not work well with the I+.

Why? Well, a few reasons. Firstly the 750's are an accurate (and full) frequency range headphone, with one limitation: mid-range. They simply do not do mid-range as well as they could. Many have said that they have excess bass and/or treble response - the truth is that they lack the mid-range response that would bring balance. Balance too in terms of a high level of accuarcy and overall neutrality.

Thanks for the impressions Killahertz
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree the Pro 750 does have somewhat hollow mids, in need of a bit of amp-EQ to give the mids a bit more warmth and body. The challenge is getting this trait whilst maintaining the speed, dynamics and microdetail Pro 750 needs.

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #184 of 805
TheMarchingMule, ahhhh... I hope this is an isolated issue, my LD I+ just shipped yesterday :\

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #186 of 805
That's a small price to pay for perfection.
wink.gif
In any case, if I'm going to have a problem, I'd rather have it with an LD amp than with any other piece of equipment because when I did have a problem, David fixed it immediately and that's a minor miracle considering these amps are shipped directly from China.

Sep 18, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #187 of 805
Hey guys, sorry I didn't reply sooner; I was playing Bioshock, and talking to David via my BlackBerry.
redface.gif

Long story short, my amp works again. And in no way was this Little Dot's fault.

David gave me permission to quote him from some of the last emails sent:

Quote:

And if you switch the tubes back, do both channels still work? If so it sounds like a tube oxidation issue preventing proper electrical flow. I'd recommend cleaning the tube pins with Caig DeoxIT or electronics cleaner. All Little Dots since the 2++ have headphone protection in case of a failure.

Quote:

Ah that's good to hear. A lot of times removing and inserting the tubes will loosen dust and other buildup via the scraping action. The electronics cleaner as described in the Reference Guide is a great tool to keep your tubes in top shape and is highly recommended.

So yeah, those were his replies; what wasn't shown was my amazement that the amp worked again, as well as telling him that I had wiped the pins with a microfiber cloth before re-inserting them.
wink.gif

Also I like the fact that there is some kind of "headphone protection," because I've read too many threads from Darkvoice owners having their K701 driver blown.
frown.gif

So yup, there you guys have it. Maybe this is the amp's way of telling me I need to buy upgraded tubes, but for now I think they'll suffice.
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #189 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I like the fact that there is some kind of "headphone protection," because I've read too many threads from Darkvoice owners having their K701 driver blown.
frown.gif

I didn't realize DV's don't have headphone protection.

Sep 18, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #190 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, sorry I didn't reply sooner; I was playing Bioshock, and talking to David via my BlackBerry.
redface.gif

Long story short, my amp works again. And in no way was this Little Dot's fault.

David gave me permission to quote him from some of the last emails sent:

So yeah, those were his replies; what wasn't shown was my amazement that the amp worked again, as well as telling him that I had wiped the pins with a microfiber cloth before re-inserting them.
wink.gif

frown.gif

So yup, there you guys have it. Maybe this is the amp's way of telling me I need to buy upgraded tubes, but for now I think they'll suffice.
biggrin.gif

The almost exact thing happened to me. My right channel went out and frantically emailed David. David was just like "Dude, use some Detoxit". Needless to say I felt like a dunce but David was really cool about it. He must hear similar things all the time.

Sep 18, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #191 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The almost exact thing happened to me. My right channel went out and frantically emailed David. David was just like "Dude, use some Detoxit". Needless to say I felt like a dunce but David was really cool about it. He must hear similar things all the time.

Deoxit is great. If you ever look closely at the pins on these small tubes, even though they seem clean, there tends to be a small buildup around them sometimes, whether you buy NOS, used etc...I have a small brush that I use with Deoxit every time I change tubes.

Cleaning them takes 20 seconds and can save a lot of headaches when particles get stuck in the sockets...

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #192 of 805
After only 47h transit time I received mine this morning.

I already like it, I think it really is a terrific little gem, and that is using it with high impedance AKG K240....

Can't wait for it to mature and to play with all the different options.

Sep 19, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #194 of 805
I didn't even expect my I+ until tomorrow, but it appears that they rushed it from JFK to my dorm
bigsmile_face.gif
I have some unboxing pics for everyone, sorry if they are blurry I took them on a Blackberry:

Bundled accessories with the Little Dot: mini-to-RCA cable, 1/8'' to 1/4'' adapter

biggrin.gif
They glow a little bit but way too faint to see with flash, and only get warm but not hot; I've had them on for an hour and they're still touchable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back