New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Sep 20, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #196 of 805
Does anyone know what opamp is in the socket? I'm thinking of putting the OPA627 in the I+ when my HDAM comes in.

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #197 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know what opamp is in the socket? I'm thinking of putting the OPA627 in the I+ when my HDAM comes in.

The opamp used is the MC33078...

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #198 of 805
Never heard of it.. I think I'm going to try LT1364, LM4562, OPA627 at some point and I'll be sure to post results
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, 30+ hours of burn-in later, I can definitely pick up the warmness in the sound. It's something that seemed to develop and may get warmer as I go along. I can see now what difference the high current does for the Denons, adds a lot more speed (attack) and works quite well with partial markl mods resulting in improved midrange and more natural highs and soundstage.

BTW, not to detract anyone if they're on the edge trying to decide whether to buy, but the amp seems fairly sensitive to RFI; I have to keep my blackberry about a foot and a half away to avoid noise. It's not a big deal to me but I thought it's worth mentioning as I never had this problem with the Zero.

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #200 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmmm, 627 in a hybrid sounds like a juicy combo
biggrin.gif
Be sure to post results!

It sure does....I wonder what an HDAM might do in one of these ?

Peete.

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #201 of 805
Quote:

I didn't even expect my I+ until tomorrow, but it appears that they rushed it from JFK to my dorm
bigsmile_face.gif
I have some unboxing pics for everyone, sorry if they are blurry I took them on a Blackberry:

biggrin.gif
They glow a little bit but way too faint to see with flash, and only get warm but not hot; I've had them on for an hour and they're still touchable.

By the sounds of it some dude named emill will deliver the manual by hand
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Sep 21, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #202 of 805
Quote:

Never heard of it.. I think I'm going to try LT1364, LM4562, OPA627 at some point and I'll be sure to post results
smily_headphones1.gif

That's much appreciated. looking forward to your results.

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #205 of 805
But if you take a look at Little Dot's own pics and my pics you can see that it uses MC33078

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #207 of 805
^
I think they will wonderfully complement your Grados (I'm not sure about the Ultimate Ears), I plan to get a pair of SR225's myself when my wallet permits me as I miss the Grado sound
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure it will only be improved once we explore opamp and tube rolling options, I feel that the opamp here is crucial and is something that can almost definitely be improved; it's the "last line in the chain" so whatever sonic differences one opamp yields vs. another should be quite audible. Plus it's as simple as taking one opamp out and putting another in.

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #208 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are people enjoying these so far? I'm on the edge about buying one of these as an intro to tube amps.

I'm enjoying it very much. It's my intro into tube amps as well. I'm using it with a K401 (incredible synergy) and a K501 (good synergy). It has some 30+ hours on it and it sounds warm, but not too warm. It's more neutral than I thought it would be and it allows the details in recordings to come out. It seems to add some soundstage to the K501 and a lot of soundstage to the K401 (particularly with good recordings). I haven't tuberolled as of yet (although I ordered the amp with the best tube upgrade), but I will in the near future. For now I am very satisfied, especially given the price, which is absurdly low. The amp does noticeable better with low impedance phones. It drives my HD600 but not to its fullest potential and it simply can't drive a pair of old 600 Ohm DT900's. But it's not fair to ask that, I gues. With AKGs it does very well. I also use it to watch movies (same headphones) and given its good soundstage, that also works well.

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #209 of 805
I'm starting to hear differences between the two amps with RS-1.

MKIV SE sounds much more detailed, refined and has probably drier bass. Oh, and soundstage is bigger too.

I+ on the other hand sounds a little thick and because of that doesn't bring all those nice little details up front (you have to concentrate to find them).

So next step could be to start some op-amp rolling to I+ to see if it can improve to MKIV SE level. I'm thinking of starting with 2xLT1028 or 1xLT1364.

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #210 of 805
Seba,

I'll PM you sometime next week with my LT1364 impressions and you can tell me if they match your impressions with it. I'll try a couple of other opamps and maybe order some of the free ones as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back