New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Sep 16, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #166 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why the trepidation? Saying one Little Dot is better than another for certain headphones isn't going to hurt Little Dot. Even if you don't share your thoughts with the forum, I would think it would be in your own personal best interest to compare them and see which you prefer the sound of more.

You are correct. I was just stating that the MKIVSE is on another price level than the I+, so I just don't want to throw confusion in the mix.

For the short period of time I have with the I+, I am really impressed at this little amp and I have only used it with my ipod so far (Rockboxed 5.5 Ipod--Flac--ALO Docking Station--ZuPivot IC)...This will be my setup with it, but I will tinker with a CDP and DAC in a few days.

In reference to the I+ & MKIVSE. In short, I'll try a scenario- If they tell me you are going to an extended vacation for a long period of time and you are to bring 10 different headphones (AKG, Senn, Beyer etc.) but only one amp, the choice would be the MKIVSE. If the scenario includes only bringing 10 Grados or low z phones and one amp the choice would be I+.

I have had the SE for a couple of months, so I am familiar with it. To me this amp does nothing wrong and with Senns and Beyers it is amazing. I went with the SE for the upgrades, however, I have been trying a lot of different tubes with it and no matter what I throw at it, it just keeps charging along and there is no noise (dead silent) with any tube combination. Also, I have it with a Zhaolu D3.0 DAC, CDP, Moon Audio ICs and Zu Birth power cord (on the 3.0), so a few upgrades have been made on this setup.

They are both real winners in my book with tube options galore and a lot of fun.

I purchased the I+ for Grados. I want to move up the Grado line, maybe RS-2 or RS-1, however, I was not going to dish out all that cash to have them perform at a mediocre level with the wrong amp. I feel confident now that if I dish $500-$700 on them they will perform at their potential, IMO.

Hope it helps...

EDIT: Just want to add that the I+ is also dead silent.

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #168 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kane-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody tried this with d2000/d5000?

I'm thinking, if it is good with Grado, it most be good with Denon also.

I also think it's gonna give the midrange bump that the Denon needs, plus a little warmth to take away the digital edge in the highs. Well I'll be sure to let you know once my LD I+ with the top-end tubes comes in
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #169 of 805
Just to check in with my I+ having arrived yesterday - superb service from David at Little Dot.

Well, let's just say that it works with Senn HD595. No, hold on 'works' falls well short, the result is amazing. First impressions are of space, speed and detail. The soundstage is expansive, and i'm amazed how well the vocal lifts for an amp that has only a few hours of play time. There is a little additional warmth that the HD595's lap up, but (importantly) not at the expense of bloat or lethargy - the LD I+ has all the pace and timing in the world.

Detail also amazes - I get the feeling that this little amp will take all the quality of signal that you can throw at. Indeed, I think it revels on it for it is quite ruthless with material that is sub par.

Will report back with further testing - the current set-up sounds so good that may be a while, however. I have Ultrasone 750 cans, a Little Dot 2+, and Meier Arietta for comparison, as well as a couple of valve options for the I+ itself.

smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapstec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since we are able to use so many different tubes I started a separate tube rolling thread.

If you have or use different tubes please add a summary there.
Thanks!

Great idea - will keep an eye on that and add my thoughts as I can.

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #170 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killahertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to check in with my I+ having arrived yesterday - superb service from David at Little Dot.

Well, let's just say that it works with Senn HD595. No, hold on 'works' falls well short, the result is amazing. First impressions are of space, speed and detail. The soundstage is expansive, and i'm amazed how well the vocal lifts for an amp that has only a few hours of play time. There is a little additional warmth that the HD595's lap up, but (importantly) not at the expense of bloat or lethargy - the LD I+ has all the pace and timing in the world.

Detail also amazes - I get the feeling that this little amp will take all the quality of signal that you can throw at. Indeed, I think it revels on it for it is quite ruthless with material that is sub par.

Will report back with further testing - the current set-up sounds so good that may be a while, however. I have Ultrasone 750 cans, a Little Dot 2+, and Meier Arietta for comparison, as well as a couple of valve options for the I+ itself.

smily_headphones1.gif

Great idea - will keep an eye on that and add my thoughts as I can.

I'd be interested to hear how the Pro750s work considering that they are also low ohm phones.

Sep 16, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #172 of 805
Someone should try the OPA-Moon in one of these...

н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

or any of the Hdams for that matter

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #174 of 805
I'm sorry if this is obvious - but I know very little about tubes and tube amps.

Could I buy the stock LD I+ and then put some 408A in it - without having to open up the amp?

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #176 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kane-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry if this is obvious - but I know very little about tubes and tube amps.

Could I buy the stock LD I+ and then put some 408A in it - without having to open up the amp?

You can exchange the tubes for another variety of the same family, but the stock tubes are SJ1 and have a different heater voltage from the 408A.

You need to open the top of the amp to get to the jumpers and set these for the tubes you want to use.

But for this you only need a screwdriver and no other complicated equipment.

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #177 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by mapstec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can exchange the tubes for another variety of the same family, but the stock tubes are SJ1 and have a different heater voltage from the 408A.

You need to open the top of the amp to get to the jumpers and set these for the tubes you want to use.

But for this you only need a screwdriver and no other complicated equipment.

Thank you very much.

If the operation only needs a screwdriver, even I should have a chance of completing it without breaking the amp.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #178 of 805
The reference manual supplied by David should have exact instructions for the jumpers and switches and how you should set them for different tube families.

Sep 17, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #180 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woobies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be interested to hear how the Pro750s work considering that they are also low ohm phones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would I
smily_headphones1.gif

Right, i'm going to stick my neck out here and say: No!, the 750's (IMO) do not work well with the I+.

Why? Well, a few reasons. Firstly the 750's are an accurate (and full) frequency range headphone, with one limitation: mid-range. They simply do not do mid-range as well as they could. Many have said that they have excess bass and/or treble response - the truth is that they lack the mid-range response that would bring balance. Balance too in terms of a high level of accuarcy and overall neutrality.

The I+ has a warmth in the lower bass that the 750's do not need. On many tracks it simply dominates, further exagerating the lack of mid-range response. The I+'s impressive level of detail is a two-edged sword. On the one hand it exposes the treble, which without mid-range balance often appears strident, and rather difficult to listen to at length. On the other hand it exposes the quality of the low and very low bass in magical way - detail here is sublime (and perhaps the only redeeming sonic feature of the I+ / 750 pairing).

The other major issue is the openess of the I+. It's expansive, open stage, used in combination with the 750's S-Logic set-up, the result, and marked first impression, was one of hollowness. This is most obvious with instrumental sections, which lack the strong central focus of a vocal or lead/solo instrument.

Do bear in mind that this is all IMO, with a new I+ (albeit with well run-in 750's). It also does not serve to suggest that the 750's are poor headphones, they aren't. Mine aren't going anywhere, but i'll stick to using them with my Meier Arietta, which itself isn't quite as neutral as the 750's (and I) would prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back