New hybrid amp by Little Dot, I+
Sep 11, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #106 of 805
Just woke up when my door bell rang. Post man gave me my new toy
wink.gif

God damn this amp is small in size and the glossy black finish in the case looks just beautiful. Have to open it up to se the gain and take pics...

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #107 of 805
Cool. Looking forward to your take on it, Seba.

While we're waiting, there's an interesting post from DavidZheZhe in the Little Dot forums comparing this amp to the Mk II:

Quote:

For low impedance phones the Little Dot I+ will definitely provide more output power, better dynamics and bass control, however it also depends on your sound preference. The Little Dot MK II is a classic tube amplifier with a very "tubey" sound, whereas the hybrid Little Dot I+ will sound a bit leaner, but tighter. I hope this helps!

I wonder how much "tubey-ness" one gives up in this hybrid architecture. Maybe it's worth it for the other gains, but obviously YMMV. My only reference is the hybrid Shanling A3000 integrated amplifier which has a tube input stage; it has no end of lushness, in fact it sounded like it was going to put a lampshade on its head and sing Swaneeeee-eee. But this is apples and oranges.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #108 of 805
Pics

First impressions with 6J1 tubes... Not bad at all
smile.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #109 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pics

First impressions with 6J1 tubes... Not bad at all
smile.gif

Wow! Seeing it next to the MKIVse really puts its small size into perspective. That thing is tiny!

Can't wait to hear some more about this little beast.

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #110 of 805
I won't keep these 6J1's in I+ for a long time because I want to test those russian tubes that I also have in MKIV SE.

Hmmm... Wonder if I could fit Burson Audio's discrete op-amp inside I+
very_evil_smiley.gif
Maybe I'll have to order and see if it fits in the near future.

Sep 11, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #111 of 805
Seba,

How's SQ compared to the amp section on your Zero?

Also, comparing the LDI+ and the MKIV SE, how much do the Grados benefit from the higher power of the hybrid?

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #113 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by RC99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seba,

How's SQ compared to the amp section on your Zero?

Also, comparing the LDI+ and the MKIV SE, how much do the Grados benefit from the higher power of the hybrid?

First impressions: LD I+ wipes the floor with Zero's headamp. It also seems that I+ gives more bass than MKIV SE. It will be interesting to see how those two LD amps perform when they have same driver tubes in them.

Oh, and a note to low Z users: It is advised to keep the J3 and J4 jumpers in place. I first took them off but the volume knob was way too sensitive. Now with jumpers on it is much better.

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #115 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First impressions: LD I+ wipes the floor with Zero's headamp. It also seems that I+ gives more bass than MKIV SE. It will be interesting to see how those two LD amps perform when they have same driver tubes in them.

Being a hybrid, does the I+ sounds in between Zero and MkIV?

I guess the MkIV sounds obviously tube to you? Would you be able to tell that the I+ is a tube amp in a blind test?

I'd like to have a taste of tube sound, the last thing I want would be to find out that the I+ sound no different than an SS amp after getting it.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #116 of 805
This amp definately sounds more tube than SS. It just has more juice for low Z phones.

I have changed the tubes to 6Zh1P-EV's and they sound much cleaner (without burn-in) than 6J1's. I'm right now enjoying some Apocalyptica playing Metallica.

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #118 of 805
interesting...so in your opinion is it a sensible improvement over the MKIV ? Now i have an MKII and i think it drives grados quite well...probably the hybrid design and more output power will make the bass even cleaner and faster....but it's already awesome with the grados whatever amplification you use...

however if one has to purchase his first amp...it provides an incredible bang for the buck it seems...
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #119 of 805
I'm not commenting that just yet. MKIV SE can drive Grado's to very loud levels, but so can I+ too.

I'll listen to both very closely and then give my impressions. But yes, I+ is a very good amp for Grado's.

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #120 of 805
Thanks, Sebastian. So far so good, it seems.

As you listen more it'll be intriguing to hear if you think the hybrid brings any compromises to the table, or if it's simply a different sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back