New HTC One M8 audio review
May 24, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #346 of 874
you stick to your 1400$ mac's, and I'll stick to 800$ w8 gaming computers that are a boatload faster for less... Unless, you use Linux. Btw, I have never seen a person who likes the android OS more than WP8 after having both. I've definitely seen people who don't like WP8 because of the smaller app store, but the OS? Never.

First line explains why you've never (Never.) seen such a person. They're probably avoiding talking to you about OSs or altogether after the first two sentences. Things like answering to a happy Android user with a "yeah stick to your expensive Mac, cheap win8 gaming derp." Gaming? Macs vs PC? In a mobile phone audio thread in head-fi?
There's a lot of reasons why one could (notice the choice of verb here) prefer Android, flexibility in regards to features and customization being an important one, but judging from your tone, flexibility does not seem to concern you much in any form.
At least you acknowledged the barren wasteland that app development for win mobile currently is.
Now please, we're sorry that the one m8 doesn't work for you, but we'd be happy if you'd let us keep talking about it and its sound performance and, I don't know, go somewhere else.
I'm sure there's a forum somewhere where someone just said that the ps4 is better than the new Xbox or something.

May 25, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #347 of 874
Btw, I have never seen a person who likes the android OS more than WP8 after having both. I've definitely seen people who don't like WP8 because of the smaller app store, but the OS? Never.

Raises hand. You have now. I had a few WPs because of a Microsoft hookup and I've used them extensively...each time I really couldn't wait to get back to whichever android phone I was using at the time.

May 25, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #348 of 874
Raises hand. You have now. I had a few WPs because of a Microsoft hookup and I've used them extensively...each time I really couldn't wait to get back to whichever android phone I was using at the time.
was it wp7? And what did you not like about them?

May 25, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #349 of 874
i'm due for an upgrade in the fall and fixated on the m8 because of the strength of its amp [not so much its speakers].  otoh, the lg g3 is supposed to come out in a couple of days, and i'm looking forward to seeing what it's got in terms of sound.

May 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #350 of 874
i'm due for an upgrade in the fall and fixated on the m8 because of the strength of its amp [not so much its speakers].  otoh, the lg g3 is supposed to come out in a couple of days, and i'm looking forward to seeing what it's got in terms of sound.
LG phones are prone to channel imbalance issues at higher volume. Its odd. The channels are balanced up until high volumes, when the left will be a few db louder than the right. Probably lacks the power needed for both channels. Unless they fixed it for the g3...

May 25, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #351 of 874
LG phones are prone to channel imbalance issues at higher volume. Its odd. The channels are balanced up until high volumes, when the left will be a few db louder than the right. Probably lacks the power needed for both channels. Unless they fixed it for the g3...

the g3 will be official on tues. they've already announced that they have 1 watt driving the speaker. i'm not positive if we can assume the same power to the hp.  i couldn't find a power rating for the m8 hp, except that it's been written that the same amp drives the hp as drives the speakers.

May 25, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #352 of 874
the g3 will be official on tues. they've already announced that they have 1 watt driving the speaker. i'm not positive if we can assume the same power to the hp.  i couldn't find a power rating for the m8 hp, except that it's been written that the same amp drives the hp as drives the speakers.

the HTC m8 has 1.3volts... Don't know about wattage though. And 1 watt??? HOLY CRAP. That's a lot of power for a mobile device!!! That's more than an objective2 amp puts out to headphones! If that goes to hp... Then wow.

May 25, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #353 of 874
soomal.com finally posted their audio test for the M8 (in chinese only): http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100004976.htm

the summing up
1. Best-sounding HTC phone ever, why wouldn't HTC advertise SQ this time?
2. One of the loudest headphone outs on a mobile phone
3. when flashed with an unspecified "default android" ROM the sound distorts at max volume, but not with HTC's stock ROM.
4. Clear advantage in dynamic range, transients and resolution (compared to other Snapdragon 800/801==WCD9320 phones)
5. Being a regular smartphone design, may still struggle with hard-to-drive headphones

They rank it second only to the Vivo phones, and consider the M8 comparable to both the iPhone 5S and Meizu M3.

May 26, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #355 of 874
3. when flashed with an unspecified "default android" ROM the sound distorts at max volume, but not with HTC's stock ROM.

Not sure but thats maybe because of the "Boom Sound" software setting. Maybe this reduces distortions on high volumes (Hardware and software going hand on hand?!)

But, HTC did it with Sense 6 really awesome... I mostly used CM because its so light and fast, but i feel no desire in flashing such a Rom (like Google Play edition rom?).

May 26, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #356 of 874
Funny, stock ROM was the worst for me in terms of this...

May 27, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #359 of 874
 Had the One mini 2 matched the results of its bigger brother, the One (M8), we would be perfectly happy with it and pronounced it the best musician in the mini league. However, the smartphone goes a step further and delivers even cleaner output than the flagship.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_mini_2-review-1081p7.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back