New HTC One M8 audio review
May 7, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #272 of 874
  I dont really believe these 9 ohm output impedance.

I am using the UE 900 (4-driver BA), and used them on a Galaxy S3 (2 Ohm~). Now on my One m8 i dont really hear much of a difference, especially not in tonality.
I cant imagine the output impedance beeing more than 3-5 ohm, or even lower than that.

Also, on my Asus Phoebus (Texas instruments Amp, which has about 10 Ohm output impedance) i hear more difference in the sounding.

The ue900 usually get lower sub-bass volume level the higher the output impedance.
It has noticable lower subbass, than on the M8. The output impedance must be a bunch lower than 9-10 ohm.

So, i personally will ignore that, untill i see more independant measurements from others.

Anyway, i have ZERO complains, letting my One m8 drive the ue 900 properly.

(Edit: Or i am lucky, and the tonality changes due to 9,4 Ohm output impedance instead 0~ are on the ue900 so tiny, that its almost not hearable)

May be the chinese unit is different in that regard.

Judging by gsmarena graph impedance should be no more than 2.

whenever i can i'll listen to a EU M8 with my UM3x to assess the tonal balance.

May 7, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #275 of 874
  May be the chinese unit is different in that regard.

Judging by gsmarena graph impedance should be no more than 2.

whenever i can i'll listen to a EU M8 with my UM3x to assess the tonal balance.

Hmm yes, that can be true.
The Chinese Galaxy S3 also measured 3,45 ohm (3.96 Ohm~ or so for the LTE model), while 1 User in a german audio forum (www.hifi-forum.de ) measured 2.0 Ohm on the european Galaxy S3.

GSM arena doesnt measure the output impedance i think, and they dont test with BA inears, only with a full size AKG Headphone (sadly they dont say which exactly i think..)

May 7, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #276 of 874
Hi everyone!

I have HTC One M8.

I have an audio crackles (mostly in left channel) while i`m listening music  through my wired headphones Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (64 Ohm) or Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 Ohm).

With wired Sennheiser CX 300-II (16 Ohm) or bluetooth Plantronics BackBeat GO 2 the sound is OK.

Who experienced the same issues?

May 8, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #278 of 874

I have an audio crackles (mostly in left channel) while i`m listening music  through my wired headphones Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (64 Ohm) or Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 Ohm).

I don't really know but I'd like to offer my anecdotal experience.

I've got my own M8 now, but I went through a really long decision process, and auditioned my "candidates" multiple times. I went to different stores on different days, on one day I heard no hiss from the M8 at all, the other day I got the same crackle you described. Not just from the M8, but also from the Nexus5.

I haven't been able to recreate this on the M8 I bought.

But on the day I got the crackle, I wore a fleece jacket... so I wonder if it isn't some kind of static electricity issue, perhaps the M8's more sensitive to them. Or maybe it's caused by the Qualcomm audio chip?

I'm waiting for a 7-day return period to lapse before I unwrap the stock earphones. Will try to give a subjective impression here when I do.

May 8, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #281 of 874

The earphones that came with my Verizon M8 had way too much bass, IMO. It overshadowed the mids. Too bad, because they were reasonably clear otherwise.

Interesting, I still haven't open my stock earphones, been using my old Klispsh S4A instead and found the bass lacking. Maybe I should give these stock earphones a try. 

May 8, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #282 of 874
  Interesting, I still haven't open my stock earphones, been using my old Klispsh S4A instead and found the bass lacking. Maybe I should give these stock earphones a try. 

I have an old S4i, which I remember being very bassy. I think the M8 earphones have stronger bass.

May 10, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #283 of 874
I broke down and unpacked my HTC earbuds today 
tongue.gif
and I've been burning them in.

It's gonna take a while to reach a semblance of conclusion, but I want to say that the heavy bass is not unusual in any way, it's just an industry trend. Tthe earbuds Sony packs with their phones (the MH750) is just as thumpy. At first listen they both make you think they're surprisingly decent & surprisingly isolating too. But the actual mileage you get out of them, well... we'll see.
tongue_smile.gif

In a world where the bar for cheap earbuds has been raised beyond recognition, I wouldn't say either pair is a revelation. Will report back if there's any "development".

May 10, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #284 of 874
The crackling is a very real phenomenon, still no real explanation for it, other than HTC having overdone their amp section...

Can be remedied by lowering gain by 6db.

On the bright side, I liked the overall tone of the M8, but couldn't handle the distortion, so ended up with the FiiO X5, couldn't be happier :)

Crackling does NOT (logically. but worth pointing out) affect USB audio...

May 10, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #285 of 874
  I broke down and unpacked my HTC earbuds today 
tongue.gif
and I've been burning them in.

It's gonna take a while to reach a semblance of conclusion, but I want to say that the heavy bass is not unusual in any way, it's just an industry trend. Tthe earbuds Sony packs with their phones (the MH750) is just as thumpy. At first listen they both make you think they're surprisingly decent & surprisingly isolating too. But the actual mileage you get out of them, well... we'll see.
tongue_smile.gif

In a world where the bar for cheap earbuds has been raised beyond recognition, I wouldn't say either pair is a revelation. Will report back if there's any "development".

I'm using PowerAmp, and I find if I have the tone control on with the treble turned up, that the stock earbuds sound pretty good. Still too much bass for a quiet room, but the bass works well when out and about in public. On a noisy bus, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back