New HTC 10--Audio Impressions
Oct 6, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #361 of 476
Keep it disabled.
Enabled with "Flat" sounds the same but the EQ it's still in the processing chain which adds a load to your phone's resources.
"Flat" is there to quickly compare between some EQ curves and none.

Oh Pooj is right. I totally forgot.......turning any EQ on will ultimately use up more battery power. So if you just want Flat, better to leave it off.

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #362 of 476
Has anyone of you guys tried this mod - https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/soundmod-ainur-audio-t3450516

In short what it does:
"Developer has skipped past hijacking the audio signal with equalizers and gone straight to removing the entire standard Android audio API, the part of your phone's software which dictates how audio processing is handled. This means that after flashing NERO, sound will be pushed directly to your phone's digital-to-analog converter (DAC), which will greatly amplify audio quality and even the output volume."

With my old phone Galaxy S (Wolfson DAC) it worked great. For now I haven't root on my HTC 10 so I can't test it

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #363 of 476
Has anyone of you guys tried this mod - https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/soundmod-ainur-audio-t3450516

In short what it does:
"Developer has skipped past hijacking the audio signal with equalizers and gone straight to removing the entire standard Android audio API, the part of your phone's software which dictates how audio processing is handled. This means that after flashing NERO, sound will be pushed directly to your phone's digital-to-analog converter (DAC), which will greatly amplify audio quality and even the output volume."

With my old phone Galaxy S (Wolfson DAC) it worked great. For now I haven't root on my HTC 10 so I can't test it

That's cool. But if it requires or involves rooting, I'm out. lol

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #366 of 476
Guys,

got this phone weeks ago and the main use is music. I use spotify most of all but intend to load some flac files onto it.
i would like to know what kind of player do you recommend. power amp? Neutron? My device is not rooted and don't intend to do it.

is there a way of taking advantage of the good dac on the htc 10? I have configured the output to most of my headphones. I don't use the dolby sound for music. just find it very unatural.

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #367 of 476
Guys,

got this phone weeks ago and the main use is music. I use spotify most of all but intend to load some flac files onto it.
i would like to know what kind of player do you recommend. power amp? Neutron? My device is not rooted and don't intend to do it.

is there a way of taking advantage of the good dac on the htc 10? I have configured the output to most of my headphones. I don't use the dolby sound for music. just find it very unatural.

starcraft2,

Use Poweramp. Done. End of story. lol

No root required. Turn off the "Limit" sub-option under the EQ IF enabling the EQ.

From what I've understood after talking to HTC directly, just playing music on the phone will access the DAC directly. There was some confusion about that b/c of the phone having that Aqstic codec on it, but the top-rated amp & DAC is still utilized.

I recommend keeping the Dolby thing off too under BoomSound settings, but I do recommend setting up and enabling a Personal Profile under BoomSound. I felt it made music sound better. Plus it gives you a nice bump in volume too.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #369 of 476
@starcraft2 I recommend Neutron - there are updates with new features and bugfixes every now and then. On the other hand Poweramp hasn't got an update for over 1,5 years and it might not work correct with the newer Android versions.

Neutron is great too. I just feel that Poweramp is easier to use. That is true about the updates. I haven't had any issues with it, though I've been using an Alpha version of Poweramp for about a year now. But I know someone who uses the regular version of Poweramp and it still works fine for her too.

Maybe try both starcraft2 and see which one you like more.

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #370 of 476
Thanks for the inputs and opinions. I will try both.

From the small test I did not only do Flacs seem to sound marginaly better than the spotify 320mp3 but the soundstage is wider. Both palyers do a good job.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #373 of 476
Would creating a sound profile (dolby off, tho) throw off EQ settings in something like UAPP?

IMO, it would enhance them, not throw them off. When I had my 10 (I have the LG V30 now), I felt the Personal Sound Profile not only added more volume to the sound, but also made the music clearer as well. I used Poweramp myself and was more than satisfied with the sound.

And yes, keep Dolby OFF. lol

Oct 14, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #374 of 476
Hi,

Please tell me if Htc 10 headphone jack port is able to transmit 24 bit audio directly from phone (music recorded in 24 bit and save to wave or flac) to headphones? Or it is 16 bit headphone port in 24 bit DAC on HTC 10?

BTW
LG V30 sounds better than Htc 10?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #375 of 476
Hi,

Please tell me if Htc 10 headphone jack port is able to transmit 24 bit audio directly from phone (music recorded in 24 bit and save to wave or flac) to headphones? Or it is 16 bit headphone port in 24 bit DAC on HTC 10?

BTW
LG V30 sounds better than Htc 10?

From what I understand, whatever the Qualcomm aqstic (acstiq?) DAC can process, the headphone jack will send to your earphones. So that would be a yes. I loved the HTC 10 when I had it. Nothing sounded better for its time. Having said that, I've never used the LG v30. The phone's other shortcoming precluded me from using it as an audio device.

Chet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back