New HTC 10--Audio Impressions
Mar 8, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #272 of 476
can some owner of htc 10 confirm or deny if htc 10 can be used as PC USB DAC? you know.. like Fiio/Astell/Ibasso players... connect it with usb cabel and use it as soundcard with headphones

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #273 of 476
HTC uses its own codec, but what ppl don't know is it only gets applied if you use Google Music or I think for other streaming? But in other cases it will apply the Aqstic codec, which is very good though not AS good as HTC's codec. Why HTC did this I dunno. It's pretty stupid. I may complain, but not sure it would change anything, and it already sounds amazing since the quality of the DAC and amp are more important anyway.

What's the source of this information? I was sure that HTC 10 uses the Aqstic codec everywhere and there's no additional DAC.

can some owner of htc 10 confirm or deny if htc 10 can be used as PC USB DAC? you know.. like Fiio/Astell/Ibasso players... connect it with usb cabel and use it as soundcard with headphones

I think that's not possible.

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #274 of 476
  What's the source of this information? I was sure that HTC 10 uses the Aqstic codec everywhere and there's no additional DAC.

This is the source article

Well the DAC is separate from the codec I believe. So I guess the 10 has TWO codecs, which are typically software. 

These are the 2 excerpts to focus on: 

Even though the HTC 10 only has a 24-bit DAC, it sounds at least as good as all of the other phones in our list, due to a strong amp and software optimizations put in place by HTC. Instead of simply using the 
Aqstic audio codec by Qualcomm
 like it was originally rumored to, HTC opted to include a different one, which turns out to have far superior audio quality. Qualcomm initially advertised the HTC 10 as one of the first devices to come with the chip maker's own codec, however, HTC released the 10 with Aqstic merely as a fallback codec. They used their own undisclosed and proprietary codec to handle music being played from the stock application.

My only gripes are that the HTC 10 isn't technically capable of playing Hi-Fi audio, and its stock music player is the incredibly basic Google Play Music, which we can't even uninstall. This is your only choice if you want to listen to locally-stored music files with HTC's codec, as every third-party player gets used with the Qualcomm Aqstic codec instead. However, if you stream music, then everything works perfectly—the HTC codec works with Spotify, Pandora, and every other streaming service we tested it with.

So yesterday I talked to HTC's Customer Service ppl via chat, and the chat rep said he didn't know anything about it but was cool and opened up a high priority level case for me and said one of their technicians would e-mail or call me back within 2-3 bus days. I'll keep you posted. 

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #275 of 476
So yesterday I talked to HTC's Customer Service ppl via chat, and the chat rep said he didn't know anything about it but was cool and opened up a high priority level case for me and said one of their technicians would e-mail or call me back within 2-3 bus days. I'll keep you posted. 

OK great, so we'll wait for an answer. There's one thing I don't understand in the article you linked:
My only gripes are that the HTC 10 isn't technically capable of playing Hi-Fi audio, and its stock music player is the incredibly basic Google Play Music, which we can't even uninstall.

HTC 10 has a 24-bit Hi-Res DAC so why they claim that it can't play Hi-Fi audio? Is it because it's limited to one music player (but Google Play Music can play flac files)?

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #276 of 476
  OK great, so we'll wait for an answer. There's one thing I don't understand in the article you linked:
HTC 10 has a 24-bit Hi-Res DAC so why they claim that it can't play Hi-Fi audio? Is it because it's limited to one music player (but Google Play Music can play flac files)?

Yeah, I DIDN'T get that part either. So I'm just disregarding it completely from memory. lol Makes absolutely no sense. Both HTC's and Qualcomm's Aqstic codecs can handle Hi-Res as far as I know, so it's baseless. 

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #277 of 476

HTC called me but I was busy and didn't take the call (didn't show "HTC" on my phone anyway, so thought it was spam lol), then the lady rep left me a msg sayin' she'd e-mail me. I then got this e-mail (below) a bit later. I will respond to it and see what she says. 

Dear ..........,

Hi .......! I hope this email finds you well. 

My name is Luisa and I am part of the HTC Special Projects Team, I will be handling your case. 
I understand that you have experienced different qualities in the sound depending on the application you are using. I want to know more about this to determine if we need to release an update with an improvement or what we can do about it. This is what I would like to know: 

1. Location where the difference in quality is more noticeable. 
2. Apps that have good quality and those that don't. 
3. Carrier that you use. 
4. If you are using a Speaker or Bluetooth / wire headset.
5. If the file that sounds with bad quality is saved in the phone and how you are playing it. 
6. Software number of your phone. You can check this in Settings-About-Phone Identity. 

I will be looking forward to your answer. 
Have a wonderful day!

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete a survey.

Sincerely,

Villalba

HTC

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #279 of 476
  Seems a bit disappointing in terms of dynamic range, IMD and crosstalk. HTC marketed having a 24-bit DAC but it's likely just Qualcomm's integrated DAC with their addition of a Class D amp. Usually by doing this HTC can get more out of the DAC and minimize distortion and crosstalk, but I was really expecting much better seeing the measurements for the M7 to M9. 

Then again GSMArena's results aren't always accurate. They said the HTC Butterfly s was loud and had no distortion, but I found that above a certain volume it starts to clip badly with bass.

Hi FY, 

It turns out HTC is not using Qualcomm's 820 AT ALL for sound, but instead it has not only its own dedicated 24-bit DAC, but also a dedicated headphone amp as well! See here for confirmation. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #280 of 476

So the lady from the Special Projects Team (SPT) at HTC (located in Colombia for U.S., other one is in Asia) called during my lunch hour.........a LOVELY rep named Luisa is who I spoke with. Luisa showed genuine concern for my issue and took time to let me elaborate on what I'd e-mailed her and she also explained to me what she was going to do about it. I essentially reiterated that I wanted to know if the article was true or not, and if so, what they would do about it. I also complimented HTC to Luisa regarding their willingness to go the extra mile for its U.S. customers. Luisa stated that it was nice to hear compliments cuz usually it's complaints she gets. lol 

We also discussed the HTC 11/Ocean in brief and she said HTC is WELL aware most people would prefer they go back to "Classic BoomSound" (aka front-facing stereo speakers) vs. the "Hi-Fi BoomSound" set up found on the 10, as well as removing the "home pad" on the front of 10 for the 11 to give it more of that classic HTC look, as I told her the 10 is great but it looks more like a Samsung or Apple phone. I also told her the 3 main factors for me leaving Sony for HTC: 1) Better battery life 2) BETTER audio quality 3) HTC making the 10 FULLY compatible with T-Mobile by certifying VoLTE & Wi-Fi Calling even on their unlocked phones, something Sony WASN'T willing to do for its U.S. customers (don't even get me started on the fingerprint sensor lol). She assured me she would send my comments and suggestions over to her superiors.

Luisa then e-mailed me this: 

Dear .........,

Hi ........! Thank you for the info and the new comments. 

It was great to talk with you today and I will keep checking and investigating about this. I know that the HTC 10 was designed to use all its audio capacity in the applications, changing this only if the app's developer choose to, as they can select the options and attributes that the phone will use in the performance for their applications; in this respect, the theory of the article will be false. Nevertheless, I do want to check if there is some truth to it, reason why I will keep investigating, and if needed I will request to include this in further updates. 

Sincerely,

Villalba

Then later this (in response to an e-mail I'd sent her): 

Dear ............,

Thanks a lot .........!! 

As soon as I finish my investigation I will let you know about my findings. The details you have shared with me are very important and you can be sure that I will direct your comments to my superiors! :)

I am very glad to know that you have chosen to stay with us and I will work so that will always be your decision. 
Enjoy the rest of your day :)

Seriously, I am honestly FLOORED by not just the fact that HTC even HAS an SPT dept, but by how completely pleasant it was speaking with Luisa. I can say with NO doubt that I am even MORE likely now to stick with HTC after speaking with her than I was even yesterday!

I will keep you guys posted when I hear back. 

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #282 of 476
  I'm sceptical, if it does have a dedicated DAC then why is the brand and model number so secret?

I can't say for sure, but the author himself admits he was wrong in assuming it was integrated. Also, considering his test results, it seems that what HTC is claiming is completely valid as well. 

Also, it's POSSIBLE perhaps that HTC developed its own DAC & amp and simply doesn't want anyone to know that? Who knows really?! lol

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #283 of 476

I can't say for sure, but the author himself admits he was wrong in assuming it was integrated. Also, considering his test results, it seems that what HTC is claiming is completely valid as well. 

Also, it's POSSIBLE perhaps that HTC developed its own DAC & amp and simply doesn't want anyone to know that? Who knows really?! lol

Anything is possible, I like the sound that comes out of the headphone socket and that's all that really matters.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #285 of 476
Does anyone have a rooted HTC 10?  Has anyone tried what I mentioned above?  I think  the HTC 10 sounds great with the A.R.I.S.E. tweaks.  If you don't like it flash back to your ROM the way it was before.  

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/r-s-e-sound-systems-auditory-research-t3379709

Users who are viewing this thread

Back