New HTC 10--Audio Impressions
Dec 12, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #226 of 476
  To be honest, I dont understand the term impedance much. But this is what I found online ....the article I've referred in my previous post:
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/LG-V20-Review_id4262/page/3?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

In short, this what they wrote about V20:
"LG V20 is a very capable music player, but one should not expect any auditory miracles out of it. Its main advantage over other handsets is that it can drive professional and high-end earphones with ease, so if you have a pair of high-impedance studio monitors, these will work with the phone just fine. Sound will be loud, clear, and dynamic. However, the great majority of earphones are of low impedance, so they’ll perform just as well in the V20 as they would in most other high-end handsets."

So, they say V20 ~= other phones if you use low impedance earphones/headphones.

For the comparision of HTC 10, v20, I used HTC 10 in TMobile store for 10-15mins and played songs from youtube while I have bought V20 (so playing mp3/FLACs) ...Comparision is not fair but I try to summarize my observations. ...... I found V20 to have wider soundstage compared to HTC 10. V20 is more analytical. HTC 10 is more bassy. I found the vocals in HTC 10 to be airy while it sounds clear and natural in V20. Regardless, both sounds great. I did setup personalized sound profile before listening to HTC 10.

It's pretty simple really. Think of impedance as "resistance". Higher impedance headphones need MORE power/amplification to "drive" them, where lower impedance headphones don't need as much to get loud. That's really it. If you'd like some more info, see my new thread I started a few weeks ago on the topic. 

I dunno deep. I've read SEVERAL reviews like this one that praise the V20 much more. And I've listened to it a few times now, and have been very impressed by it so far. The next time I see my cousin who has it, I planned to compare it to my $299 Oppo HA-2 premium amp/DAC as well. 

Hmm ok. It seems like most ppl overall prefer the V20 over the HTC 10, though everyone says it's close at least. But still, the source material does matter. I'd prefer it if you were playing the same source music on both. It sounds like the HTC 10 was at kind of slight disadvantage vs. the V20 playing mp3s but also FLAC. How good your source music is does have a significant effect on the final sound. Still, I appreciate your efforts!

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #227 of 476

I've listened to both, but not at the same time. 

I wonder though, when you listened to the V20, you said you felt the HTC 10's DAC had more "juice" than the V20's did, but did you mean ampage/volume, or did you actually feel the sound quality (not including volume) was better? 

If it was volume, then you might want to give the V20 another try b/c you may have been in "Normal" mode which is the quietest of the 3 amp modes on the V20. The next one is "Aux/External Device Detected" mode, and then of course there's "High Impedance" mode. The trick to get at least "Aux/External Device Detected" mode is to plug in the audio cable into the V20 first, and then the headphones (or in your case, IEMs) second. Or else it's vice versa? Just try both and one of them will DEFINITELY work! High Imp Mode is a lil tougher, and I REALLY doubt you'll need that considering you're just using IEMs anyway. 

If it was DAC that you meant, meaning the sound quality was better on the 10, please elaborate some more. Was the clarity better? The sound separation? The bass/mids/highs? The soundstage?? I am interested to read your answers to all this. 

Sorry for my brief statement and question between these 2 as i was about to board on a flight.

What you might say is true about different amp modes. May be when I was listening through V20, it was in normal mode. I will go to the shop to compare A/B comparison when I have time again.

And I would really love to know your comparison with Oppo 2. 

Right now I'm super confused if I really need portable dac/amp or just a phone. Since I'm using IE 80 for now, I really wonder how much difference it can get with all the instrumental separations and sound stage which iem are very much limited at.

Thaanks. 

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #228 of 476
Tried HTC 10 with Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 Ohm. No personal audio profile (linear). Using Neutron. 87-100% volume, depending on album.

Used albums:

Def Leppard - Hysteria (MFSL). 90-100% volume (100% is ok).
Deep Purple - In Rock - Speed King (2009 Audio Fidelity). 100%.
Black Sabbath - 13 - Loner. 87%
3 Doors Down - Kryptonite.87%
Aqua - Greatest Hits. 87%
Beethoven - Symphony №5 (Karajan, SACD->16/44 rip). 100%
Some sax music. 87%.

Hmm, volume seems to be enough but I am not totally satisfied. More sibilants and less dynamic comparing to Audiotrak DR.DAC2 DX (stock) with foobar2000 from PC. Not bad, better than expected at least, but IEM (ATH-IM03) doesn't lose SQ from changing source.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #229 of 476

Sorry for my brief statement and question between these 2 as i was about to board on a flight.

What you might say is true about different amp modes. May be when I was listening through V20, it was in normal mode. I will go to the shop to compare A/B comparison when I have time again.

Right now I'm super confused if I really need portable dac/amp or just a phone. Since I'm using IE 80 for now, I really wonder how much difference it can get with all the instrumental separations and sound stage which iem are very much limited at.

Thaanks. 

No problem James!

Ok so you WERE talking about volume, and not "DAC quality". Thanks for clarifying that!!

Yeah it prob was in Normal mode. That would be awesome if you did another one!

Ok. It might be this Friday for the Oppo HA-2 vs. V20's amp/DAC comparison, but not 100%. I'll try to do it sometime soon, but it's also dependent upon my cousin's schedule too.

Well it depends which phone you're talking about first of all. Second of all, it depends on what level of quality amp/DAC device you're comparing whichever phone to. It seems the consensus is the V20 is a little better than the HTC 10 (at the VERY least, it can get a bit louder, it seems). With regards to the V20 vs. a premium (external) amp/DAC, it depends on which one you're comparing it to. I've heard some ppl say it can match or even outdo amp/DACs that cost like $600-$700! But not everyone feels that way. Perhaps my V20 vs. Oppo HA-2 comparison will shed some more light on that? 

Right now you're using a Blackberry right? If you plan on keeping that for a while, then you most DEFINITELY should consider a quality amp/DAC, and I can help with you with that. The only 3 phones that DON'T need that device included in the mix are the LG V10, V20, and HTC 10. The rest I cannot guarantee the quality (that includes the Sony Xperia XZ, but you can try it out I guess). I for one am not a fan of using IEMs at all. I don't think they can match what a solid pair of headphones can do. For instrument separation.........they MAY do a very good job? But I have REAL trouble believing they can match the WIDE soundstage of a good pair of headphones. If you wanna keep 'em, fine. But if you'd like to get some solid headphones, I can most certainly suggest some to you. Just let me know. And they won't be too pricey either. I've learned that there are multiple $100-$250 headphones that can outdo some $400 ones I've tried. No joke. 

Please answer all of the above (bold) in your reply. And I look forward to your comparison. None of the T-Mobile stores near me carry the HTC 10 that I know of, so I can't do it myself unfortunately. 

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #230 of 476
  Tried HTC 10 with Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 Ohm. No personal audio profile (linear). Using Neutron. 87-100% volume, depending on album.

Used albums:

Def Leppard - Hysteria (MFSL). 90-100% volume (100% is ok).
Deep Purple - In Rock - Speed King (2009 Audio Fidelity). 100%.
Black Sabbath - 13 - Loner. 87%
3 Doors Down - Kryptonite.87%
Aqua - Greatest Hits. 87%
Beethoven - Symphony №5 (Karajan, SACD->16/44 rip). 100%
Some sax music. 87%.

Hmm, volume seems to be enough but I am not totally satisfied. More sibilants and less dynamic comparing to Audiotrak DR.DAC2 DX (stock) with foobar2000 from PC. Not bad, better than expected at least, but IEM (ATH-IM03) doesn't lose SQ from changing source.

Rioter, 

I see. Well you ARE comparing the 10 to about a $500 desktop amp/DAC. So I don't think anyone was expecting it to match or outdo the Audiotrak. Very interesting info though!! I've seen Leppard and 3 Doors live too. Great shows! Plus I am a fan of Black Sabbath as well. I was listening to them a lot again a few months ago in fact. 

So you're saying you wish it could get a bit louder then? 

What does "Not bad, better than expected at least, but IEM (ATH-IM03) doesn't lose SQ from changing source" mean though? It sounds like you're saying you didn't detect any loss of sound quality from changing sources, but that contradicts what you said earlier. So please kindly clarify that. 

It sounds like the HTC 10 is DEF a step above the average smartphone when it comes to audio. But there is still room for improvement perhaps (i.e. sibilance)? Compared to the LG V20 (which IS a newer phone in the 10's defense), the V20 is said to get louder and possibly sound better too. Still, your results give me hope that the HTC 11 will take the 10's audio to the NEXT level and sound both better AND louder than the 10 does. I am very much looking forward to see how the HTC 11 will be, especially after reading this

I thank you for your contribution here. 

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #231 of 476
Regarding HTC 10 and high impedance cans.

I have used my H10 with Beyer 1770 and 1990. Using tidal and boomsound on. I prefer boomsound with my different profiles. I think boomsound add around 5 % more volume. I was around 70-80 % volume. So for these 2 headphones H10 had more than enough volume.

In comparison the LG v10 in high impedance mode was around 40-55 % volume. The V10 has a lot of power in high impedance mode. I assume it's the same with the V20.

All that said for these high impedance headphones I prefer the Mojo. It's not night and day but I can clearly hear a difference.

Edit: I don't listen to music very very loud. But loud enough that I get ringing in my ears after several hours of use :confused:

Dec 14, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #232 of 476
Regarding HTC 10 and high impedance cans.

I have used my H10 with Beyer 1770 and 1990. Using tidal and boomsound on. I prefer boomsound with my different profiles. I think boomsound add around 5 % more volume. I was around 70-80 % volume. So for these 2 headphones H10 had more than enough volume.

In comparison the LG v10 in high impedance mode was around 40-55 % volume. The V10 has a lot of power in high impedance mode. I assume it's the same with the V20.

All that said for these high impedance headphones I prefer the Mojo. It's not night and day but I can clearly hear a difference.

Edit: I don't listen to music very very loud. But loud enough that I get ringing in my ears after several hours of use :confused:

stenog, 

Yeah when I had my M8 a couple years ago, I also found BoomSound being enabled made for the best sound quality vs. it being turned off. 

Yes, it is the same as the V20. It appears from what I've been reading lately that the V20, esp the V20 in High Impedance Mode, offers up much more volume. 

Yeah it's tough to compete with a $600 amp/DAC device like the Mojo, but I for one am impressed if it even THAT close. 

Haha.......then it's prob still TOO loud my friend. lol I'm kinda the same way, but I've been getting better about keeping it on the lower side the majority of the time at least. 

Dec 14, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #234 of 476
My ATH-IM03 (3 driver IEM) don't lose anything from changing source. But 250 Ohm of 880 is too much for HTC 10. And volume isn't a key problem, it's enough for me. But bass lacks in dynamic and more sibilants.

I see. Ok. Thanks for clarifying Rioter. 

I'm hoping the HTC 11 will take the issues you had with the 10 and resolve them fully. HOPING!!! lol I really am interested in trying it out when it's released.

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #235 of 476

Thaanks. 

James, 

I was just speaking with my cousin. I forgot we actually DID compare the V20's DAC against the Oppo HA-2. Neither of us could tell a difference. 

Hope that helps!

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #237 of 476
5.2" is my limit. And I doubt HTC will make smartphone just for high impedance headphones users. Higher price isn't a selling point.

5.2" is my PREFERRED limit. I REALLY hope they don't go phablet with the size of the 11, but I might be open to 5.5" IF the phone is great overall including EVEN better camera, DAC, amp, etc. 

Well if they could just take the volume up at least a notch or two, it'd be appreciated. lol 

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #238 of 476
Have any of you guys tried using ARISE on either the HTC, the V20, or any of your current mobile devices.  Root required but wow what a difference in having control of the audio pathway.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/r-s-e-sound-systems-auditory-research-t3379709

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #239 of 476

Users who are viewing this thread

Back