New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Nov 28, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #5,628 of 6,017
Quote:
Hi everyone - hope some others owners can help me get some clarity on an issue.

My 400s seem to have light distortion on certain pieces. Both on classic music (piano) and on rock albums. I'm using pleather pads and ALO The National amp with the UD100 DAC.

First of all I turned off all Amarra EQ settings which weren't having a good impact. Furthermore, It might be that I'm listening too loud... I doubt this since my previous headphones (ATM 50s) didn't distort at the same level.

Its only when i'm listening at louder levels, but still... it is bugging.

Does the headphone have some natural distortion at higher levels? Any way to counter this?

Thank you!

I have exactly the same issue, only on the left channel and intermittently.  It only seems to occur with piano though.  Please keep us upto date if you resolve it as i would be very interested.

Edit: just noticed that you are also using the UD100.  Can you share a track which you have the issue with and we can see if removing the UD100 from the chain resolves it as other than the he-400 its the only common denominator.

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #5,629 of 6,017
Mine is also predominantly left channel. 

Ludovico Einaudi - "Divenire" gives trouble at certain times.

Please gimme a track you're having issues with and I'll have a listen.

I have taken the UD100 from the chain and it does seem slightly better... distortion-wise.

Same experience?

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #5,630 of 6,017
is he500 worth it over the he400?? even though they are 300$ more but they must be superior in every way(other than bass as far as i have read)... or is the difference hardly worth noticing and one should stick with the he400?? i want to get a headphone first before i shift to bifrost+lyr combo... and i want the he500 but just want to know if it is worth it as it is supposed to be hifi rather than midfi..also i am seeing many people having problems with the build quality of he-400...

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #5,631 of 6,017
Quote:
I have exactly the same issue, only on the left channel and intermittently.  It only seems to occur with piano though.  Please keep us upto date if you resolve it as i would be very interested.

Edit: just noticed that you are also using the UD100.  Can you share a track which you have the issue with and we can see if removing the UD100 from the chain resolves it as other than the he-400 its the only common denominator.

Exactly the same with my pair on the right channel. Piano & similar instruments cause distortion on the right channel. The right channel is also quieter than the left one. 
I have tested the imbalance & distortion by swapping the channels using both DAC & Headphone. Its definitely the right driver that is faulty. 
Emailed head-direct for the replacement. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #5,632 of 6,017
I was hoping you weren't going to say that as I purchased these from the US and got charged by customs, chances are il get charged again for the replacements :frowning2:

Could you please recommended specific songs that highlighted the issue to you so I could test.mine with?

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #5,633 of 6,017
i had this problem with my left driver (i posted about it a few pages back). Initially the driver actually went out completely, then later it was distorting when playing loud bass and also eventually began playing at lower volume than the right driver.

My problem was the connection at the bottom of the driver, there is a silver tab that makes contact with a part that is sandwiched between it, i pulled my driver out of the case, tightened the nut that holds this tab in place and made sure it was securely contacting from both sides. The problem has been 100% fixed since then. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #5,634 of 6,017
Quote:
Mine is also predominantly left channel. 

Ludovico Einaudi - "Divenire" gives trouble at certain times.

Please gimme a track you're having issues with and I'll have a listen.

I have taken the UD100 from the chain and it does seem slightly better... distortion-wise.

Same experience?

I played the track above via youtube and had no issues with the sound.  Thanks for introducing me to such a nice piece of music!
I only really heard the distortion on a couple of tracks that i dont know inside out, hence the surprise.    I think that it may have actually been clipping on the track as i tried it with my Yamaha HPH-200 in the same chain and it was still there.  I will keep on listening and see if the "problem" happens again.  
Quote:
i had this problem with my left driver (i posted about it a few pages back). Initially the driver actually went out completely, then later it was distorting when playing loud bass and also eventually began playing at lower volume than the right driver.

My problem was the connection at the bottom of the driver, there is a silver tab that makes contact with a part that is sandwiched between it, i pulled my driver out of the case, tightened the nut that holds this tab in place and made sure it was securely contacting from both sides. The problem has been 100% fixed since then. 

Thanks for the heads up.  I took a quick look at the drivers and tabs without removing the protective cover and they seemed to be ok, regardless i gave them both a gentle poke and everything seemed in order.

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #5,635 of 6,017
I am looking for a new pair of headphones and stuck in between the quartet of HE-400, HE-500, HD-650, and LCD2.

I ran an extensive A/B of HE-400 versus HE-500 using Tina Turner's Private dancer. Both were great overall. I found the HE-400 did the bass better and on the HE-500 the texture of Tina's voice was better rendered. Wish one of them (especially the cheaper) had done both and I would have walked away a happy man.

IMHO:
HE-500 is too close in price to LCD2. So then I would prefer LCD2.

HE-400 is better than HD-650.

At the end of the day I think the decision is to purchase HE-400 and be very happy that I almost have audiophile heaven but with many hundreds of $ over for other fun things like upgrading my computer which will give me even more joy than slightly better rendered music. Then in 3-5 years I will purchase the next nr 1 headphone in HE-400 price class that is probably as good as LCD2 and so continues the cycle.

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #5,636 of 6,017

I am looking for a new pair of headphones and stuck in between the quartet of HE-400, HE-500, HD-650, and LCD2.

I ran an extensive A/B of HE-400 versus HE-500 using Tina Turner's Private dancer. Both were great overall. I found the HE-400 did the bass better and on the HE-500 the texture of Tina's voice was better rendered. Wish one of them (especially the cheaper) had done both and I would have walked away a happy man.

IMHO:
HE-500 is too close in price to LCD2. So then I would prefer LCD2.

HE-400 is better than HD-650.

At the end of the day I think the decision is to purchase HE-400 and be very happy that I almost have audiophile heaven but with many hundreds of $ over for other fun things like upgrading my computer which will give me even more joy than slightly better rendered music. Then in 3-5 years I will purchase the next nr 1 headphone in HE-400 price class that is probably as good as LCD2 and so continues the cycle.

LCD2s do sound very balanced and have a fairly addictive tonality, my main grudge with it (other than its horrendous comfort issues) though is that it sounds closed-in and utterly headphone-like compared to Hifiman orthos, especially to HE400. There is so much damping built around and on top of Audeze drivers that you end up with this tiny soundstage where all music seems to be playing around your head rather than being projected.

Others might not view "openness of sound" as a big priority, I do however.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #5,637 of 6,017
@ Jerg - 

Did you get to hear the Rev2 LCD2 or the rev1?
Last time when i compared Rev1 to the he400 i felt the LCD2 sounded very closed in, almost as if there was a concrete wall each side of my ears. 
It didnt sound that closed independently but compared to HE400 i felt so.
I am now willing to buy the LCD2 Rev2 but if it sounds equally closed in, i may then get the HE500 instead. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #5,638 of 6,017
Quote:
@ Jerg - 

Did you get to hear the Rev2 LCD2 or the rev1?
Last time when i compared Rev1 to the he400 i felt the LCD2 sounded very closed in, almost as if there was a concrete wall each side of my ears. 
It didnt sound that closed independently but compared to HE400 i felt so.
I am now willing to buy the LCD2 Rev2 but if it sounds equally closed in, i may then get the HE500 instead. 

Both rev1 and rev2 side-by-side actually. LCD3 also.

It didn't sound like Audeze improved the openness of their headphone line at all going from LCD2r1 all the way to LCD3. My guess is they had the same damping scheme all the way through, the only difference between the drivers themselves.

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #5,639 of 6,017
Quote:

Both rev1 and rev2 side-by-side actually. LCD3 also.

It didn't sound like Audeze improved the openness of their headphone line at all going from LCD2r1 all the way to LCD3. My guess is they had the same damping scheme all the way through, the only difference between the drivers themselves.

Yeah, the HE400 in comparison does not really have any damping. The LCD2 indeed has some thick damping material underneath the grill.

The muted treble is another thing that concerns me about the LCD2. Also, did not really find them superior to HE400 in bass quality. 
Did you find the Rev2 & Rev1 equally dark? 

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #5,640 of 6,017
Quote:
Yeah, the HE400 in comparison does not really have any damping. The LCD2 indeed has some thick damping material underneath the grill.

The muted treble is another thing that concerns me about the LCD2. Also, did not really find them superior to HE400 in bass quality. 
Did you find the Rev2 & Rev1 equally dark? 

Oh no, rev2 is far brighter than rev1. It (LCD2r2) is a bit more aggressive in the lower treble than HE400, but obviously has less sparkle in the mid~upper treble. LCD2r1 is just plain dim in the treble, way too dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back