New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Nov 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #5,432 of 6,017
The mod is designed to take the brightness off the treble, smooth out and expand the mids and give that wild bass some serious texture...as I understand it. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #5,434 of 6,017
Just received mine from Justin @ Headamp. Great service, great product. Cant wait to hear these babies after a few hours of burn in. How much burn-in have you guys found is sufficient? 

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #5,435 of 6,017
Wow, having a bit of a mixed experience here. One channel died on me and I sent my pair back to the store.
I now recieved them with the channel fixed. I then plug them in to discover a channel imbalance like no other, so I start trying all sorts of equipment with no real progress.

I then out of desperation switch back to velour pads (I sent them to the shop with original pleathers on). After putting the velours back on the channel was dead again.
Annoyed I put them down for a little while.

And now I just tried loosening and putting back again the connector to the dead driver. Surprise! It works and the channel imbalance is gone!
What gives? And what now? I dare not move or even think about taking them off.

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #5,436 of 6,017
Quote:
Wow, having a bit of a mixed experience here. One channel died on me and I sent my pair back to the store.
I now recieved them with the channel fixed. I then plug them in to discover a channel imbalance like no other, so I start trying all sorts of equipment with no real progress.

I then out of desperation switch back to velour pads (I sent them to the shop with original pleathers on). After putting the velours back on the channel was dead again.
Annoyed I put them down for a little while.

And now I just tried loosening and putting back again the connector to the dead driver. Surprise! It works and the channel imbalance is gone!
What gives? And what now? I dare not move or even think about taking them off.

Same dead driver experience here, but no channel imbalance though.. http://www.head-fi.org/t/605113/he-500-review-and-shoot-out/495#post_8855268

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #5,437 of 6,017
Quote:

Same dead driver experience here, but no channel imbalance though.. http://www.head-fi.org/t/605113/he-500-review-and-shoot-out/495#post_8855268

Seems you too managed to ressurect the driver by unplugging and reconnecting the driver-side connection. Also, the problem should dissapear after a while of burning in whatever change was made at the shop?

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #5,438 of 6,017
Quote:
Seems you too managed to ressurect the driver by unplugging and reconnecting the driver-side connection. Also, the problem should dissapear after a while of burning in whatever change was made at the shop?

Yes the problem with my HE-500 is gone. Give your HE-400 some time to see if the problem disappear after a few hours of use

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #5,439 of 6,017
Quote:

I will be able to post impressions on that pairing as soon as my HE-400 arrive, but i have no idea when that will be. I've been waiting over two weeks now for them 
mad.gif

I just got them and have been listening for about 2 hours and they sound really good on the m-stage. So much instrument seperation and detail that you can get lost following one instrument and forget what part of the song you are in. I have no better way to describe how this combo sounds other than I really like it but I don't have anything else to try them through to compare. Hope you get them soon. FWIW I got the rev2 from moon audio so I'm assuming this is the one they have in stock for those worried that they'll get the ones with the yellow drivers.

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #5,440 of 6,017
Quote:

My guess is you just didn't screw the cup connectors well enough; it's quite easy for the channel to cut out if the connection there is not 100% secure and tight.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #5,441 of 6,017
Hmm, I've been listening to these for a while and found that on certain mid-bass notes the headphone has a mild rattling noise in the right ear with some distortion. Have any of you ever heard of this problem before? Do I have a faulty right driver? It doesn't happen all the time, just on songs with a lot of mid-bass. I'm listening to the kids don't stand a chance by vampire weekend(maybe someone can reproduce this noise?) and every bass note sounds kinda like if I left an aluminum can on top of my speakers.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #5,443 of 6,017
Quote:
Hmm, I've been listening to these for a while and found that on certain mid-bass notes the headphone has a mild rattling noise in the right ear with some distortion. Have any of you ever heard of this problem before? Do I have a faulty right driver? It doesn't happen all the time, just on songs with a lot of mid-bass. I'm listening to the kids don't stand a chance by vampire weekend(maybe someone can reproduce this noise?) and every bass note sounds kinda like if I left an aluminum can on top of my speakers.

Youtube / lossy / lossless source? Could be a variety of reasons such as amp clipping / dynamic range compression / bitrate issue / an intrinsic part of the music itself.

I remember the same complaints coming from Mad Lust Envy when he just received his HE400, where he kept complaining about noises and "distortions" in various bass-heavy music he listens to, and it turns out they are all just flaws in those tracks, revealed due to the high detail extraction of these particular headphones.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #5,444 of 6,017
Quote:

Youtube / lossy / lossless source? Could be a variety of reasons such as amp clipping / dynamic range compression / bitrate issue / an intrinsic part of the music itself.

I remember the same complaints coming from Mad Lust Envy when he just received his HE400, where he kept complaining about noises and "distortions" in various bass-heavy music he listens to, and it turns out they are all just flaws in those tracks, revealed due to the high detail extraction of these particular headphones.

I only have flac playing through audirvana on my desktop through osx into a usb matrix m-stage at the 0 db gain setting (tried all of them) with the volume knob turned up about half-way connected to the he400. It seems to happen with a lot of songs that have the same notes, It happens with a lot of songs on that cd so I'm starting to think maybe you are right about the poor recording but what scares me is that when i switch the channels, the right driver seems to still carry the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back