New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Oct 17, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #4,921 of 6,017
Quote:

LCD2 for the bass.

HE400 rev3 for the "most sharp attack" 
tongue.gif
 shame they don't make those any more.

Ok thanks. Is the difference big in bass performance, you think?

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #4,922 of 6,017
Quote:
Wait why didn't you turn the r3 HE400s in for replacement yet? They are offering recall replacement with free both-way shipping, with the "fixed" drivers that have zero sibilance issues.

FYI:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/630549/open-announcement-on-the-hifiman-he-400

I would say the r3 HE400s are not even close to representing what these "should" sound like. Either you want to keep the HE400s or sell them, you'll have to get them replaced anyway, as no one would want to buy a r3 unit off of ya knowing how they are defective by design 
rolleyes.gif

Ahh I see, thank you for the information. I did not realize that there was a recall replacement for the HE-400. I shall return it for a replacement. Thank you! 

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #4,923 of 6,017
Quote:

Ok thanks. Is the difference big in bass performance, you think?

No. I'd say it's more "different" bass than "better" bass. Empirically speaking LCD2 bass extends a bit more under 30 Hz, and consequently have better 30Hz square wave measurements. Both are top notch bass, LCD2 have a bit more power while HE400 have a bit more bass texture and layering.

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #4,924 of 6,017
Quote:

No. I'd say it's more "different" bass than "better" bass. Empirically speaking LCD2 bass extends a bit more under 30 Hz, and consequently have better 30Hz square wave measurements. Both are top notch bass, LCD2 have a bit more power while HE400 have a bit more bass texture and layering.

Alright, thanks for the info.

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #4,925 of 6,017
Mine are scheduled to arrive the 22nd and are in Paris atm. Can't wait! 

*Edit* @ FedEx-tracking site:  F5, F5, F5, F5!

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #4,928 of 6,017
Quote:

I do not hate the HD650, it's the second best headphone I've heard to date.  I put it above even the HD800, but I fear saying that in public because some HD800 zealot would come in this thread and play the amp card.  The only thing I hate about the HD650 is how its followers have gradually played up its bass performance through the years on this forum.

Yeah I don't get the veiled comments either.  Yet another pet peeve of mine.

Ahh, your prior comments led me to a different conclusion of your opinion on them.  Now that  have HD800 too, I can say personally, if well EQ'd HD800 is capable of outperforming HD650, amp aside (meaning, on the same amp.)  If not EQ'd HD800 is wretched sounding
biggrin.gif
  And even EQ'd HD650 still has a special quality to them the HD800 lacks....650's still not going anywhere.  You're right about the amp card....a habit for all the expensive can crowds.  Then again, before the $1k range existed it was the HD650 crowd that played the amp card al the time....justice I suppose
rolleyes.gif

You're right though, both the veiled comments and the bass performance card both irritate me.  Bass is the one real weakness of 650, and that's the thing that people promote as its strength!
rolleyes.gif

Between HD650 and HE-400 though, while I still overall love 650 more, there's a quality to 400 (r2 anyway) that just makes it so much more suitable for certain music.  I still insist they're the best complimentary duo without getting into crazy-money headphones
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Of course that's comparing a $400 headphone to a $1k headphone... Why not compare HE-400 against LCD-3 on a Liquid Fire and HE-6 on some Pass Labs blocks?
tongue_smile.gif
  Like my Bifrost vs. Woo WDS comparison in the WDS thread, it's a great testament to the value of the lower cost item when it can be seriously discussed and compared against crazy-expensive stuff as a legit comparison!
beerchug.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #4,929 of 6,017
Quote:
Of course that's comparing a $400 headphone to a $1k headphone... Why not compare HE-400 against LCD-3 on a Liquid Fire and HE-6 on some Pass Labs blocks?
tongue_smile.gif
  Like my Bifrost vs. Woo WDS comparison in the WDS thread, it's a great testament to the value of the lower cost item when it can be seriously discussed and compared against crazy-expensive stuff as a legit comparison!
beerchug.gif

I remember trying out the Woo WA3 thinking it doesn't get any better than this and i'll never own something this cool. Years later I spend even more on the Lyr :p. I do wonder how the WA3 compares though, it seems so different.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #4,930 of 6,017
I'm considering buying a DAC or DAC/AMP for use with my HE400. I mainly want them for listening to music from my laptop and iphone4.

I currently have an E11. I am looking to spend up to around £150 max. Would the E17 be a good upgrade? Any other suggestions?

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #4,931 of 6,017
Quote:

Ahh, your prior comments led me to a different conclusion of your opinion on them.  Now that  have HD800 too, I can say personally, if well EQ'd HD800 is capable of outperforming HD650, amp aside (meaning, on the same amp.)  If not EQ'd HD800 is wretched sounding
biggrin.gif
  And even EQ'd HD650 still has a special quality to them the HD800 lacks....650's still not going anywhere.  You're right about the amp card....a habit for all the expensive can crowds.  Then again, before the $1k range existed it was the HD650 crowd that played the amp card al the time....justice I suppose
rolleyes.gif

You're right though, both the veiled comments and the bass performance card both irritate me.  Bass is the one real weakness of 650, and that's the thing that people promote as its strength!
rolleyes.gif

Between HD650 and HE-400 though, while I still overall love 650 more, there's a quality to 400 (r2 anyway) that just makes it so much more suitable for certain music.  I still insist they're the best complimentary duo without getting into crazy-money headphones
biggrin.gif

tongue_smile.gif
beerchug.gif

But I already compared HE400s against LCD3s...the latter sound better (maybe between 15-30% better depending on dimension) in every way except openness.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #4,932 of 6,017
Quote:
I remember trying out the Woo WA3 thinking it doesn't get any better than this and i'll never own something this cool. Years later I spend even more on the Lyr :p. I do wonder how the WA3 compares though, it seems so different.

Yeah, I've often been tempted to buy one of Woo's tube amps....the higher end ones like the WA22 or WA6-SE.  And the new WA7 is tempting as well.  But I just can't get myself to want tubes for my pricier gear.  Lyr is a great way to play with tube gear while not investing in a system that may not have longevity.  But if I were to go all high-end tube, it would be a Woo!
biggrin.gif

WA3 is an OTL tube amp through and through so it would be better to compare it to Valhalla.  Woo doesn't make hybrids, but if comparing Lyr to a Woo, a WA6 would be a better comparison since it's transformer coupled.   WA3, WA2, and Valhalla as OTL tubes would all be poor choices for the low impedance HE-400
biggrin.gif

Quote:

But I already compared HE400s against LCD3s...the latter sound better (maybe between 15-30% better depending on dimension) in every way except openness.

bigsmile_face.gif
30% better for 500% more money.  Yep, sounds like audio!

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #4,933 of 6,017
Quote:
bigsmile_face.gif
30% better for 500% more money.  Yep, sounds like audio!

That's the power of the HE-400's

So I tried something cool today with my Lyr, the 400's, and my Klipsch 2.1 setup. The Lyr preamp output is a godsend and i'm using it with my speakers, but it doesn't cut off the headphones so I found a VERY interesting combination using both at the same time! I don't think the satellite speakers are going to add much, but they do change the sound, kinda weird. The subwoofer works extremely well however, I like to just use the sub controls mostly with the headphones, this is pretty much one of the best experiences in audio I could hope for 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back