New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Oct 4, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #4,576 of 6,017
I'm actually the opposite, I sold my DT880s after I got my HD650. I picked up the HE-400 just to give it a try and I'm really liking it so far. The only thing I miss the most about the DT880s is the comfort. 

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #4,577 of 6,017
Ugh, the more I listen to the treble of the new drivers, the more I develop a very polarizing love-hate relationship with them.

On one end, the elevated 10-16kHz makes instrumental music ridiculously holographic and engaging, almost like my ears physically feel the sound pressures of when cymbals crash and strings pluck, coupled with the fantastic bass, the whole package is there to over-deliver in jazz music and the like.

But on the very other hand, this messes with vocals big time; every singer sounds like their vocal cords have turned to needles and dry sand.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #4,578 of 6,017
Kind of did this with switching back and forth between the HD-650's.

It really isn't a good thing to jump back and forth between the two. Now I'm having a hard time listening to my HE-400's. Blargh. 
Quote:
I had the same feeling about my HE400 for a while.  The trick is to NOT switch headphones in one session.  Just stay with one HP, your ears will adjust and you should really start to hear and enjoy them. I pretty much went through the same thing when I got my HD700.  Switching back and forth, I was ready to sell the HE400 on the spot.  Just sticking to one HP for a session or even a few days lets you really appreciate them for what they are.  Give it a try. YMMV.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #4,579 of 6,017
Quote:
Kind of did this with switching back and forth between the HD-650's.

It really isn't a good thing to jump back and forth between the two. Now I'm having a hard time listening to my HE-400's. Blargh. 

I had similar experience btn 400s and 650s when swapping.  Hard to do.  Takes me about 30 mins to apprecieate either one again. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #4,580 of 6,017
The new drivers have scared me away from considering the HE-400 for now...Coming from a PRO 900, once bitten twice shy...

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #4,581 of 6,017
Now I'm scared also.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Oct 5, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #4,582 of 6,017
Quote:
The new drivers have scared me away from considering the HE-400 for now...Coming from a PRO 900, once bitten twice shy...

Im exactly in the same situation!

Except I want to get the HE-500 to complement them :)

Cant get more piercing than Pro 900 though... You shouldnt be scared! Nothing stand against the sibilance of the Pros!
Anything else will say smooth to your ears :D Except for Grados maybe

Oct 5, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #4,583 of 6,017
Quote:

Damn you. Now i can't stop singing Wham! - Last Christmas in my head / bathroom

Oct 5, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #4,584 of 6,017
Quote:
I had them on for about 4 hours. I acclimated to them, and they sound nice and all, but the DT880s just win overall. Nothing like something you don't quite like as much as you thought you would to make you really appreciate something else. Just switching to the DT880s, I think the HE400s might actually have more treble, which blows my mind... they're definitely hot in that area. I think I'm going to like the HD600s better, purely because I know they aren't going to be as bright as the DT880s, and I got them for just that reason.

Wow!! Of course we all hear differently. If anyone asked me, I'd say that the he400 completed trounces the dt880 and I'm certainly a Beyer fan. Comfort would go to the Beyer but that's it. The Beyer dt880 is plain vanilla and neutral. That's certainly not what I'm after. Each to his own....

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #4,585 of 6,017
Got my HE-400s 2 months back, loving them! Buying the velours next week to check out what the excitement is about.. 
o2smile.gif

On another note, what are your methods of attaching the cable interconnects to the headphone? :D
I always twist them in the other direction and then connect them, so once they complete their twisting they're straight without any extra twists.

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #4,587 of 6,017
Wow!! Of course we all hear differently. If anyone asked me, I'd say that the he400 completed trounces the dt880 and I'm certainly a Beyer fan. Comfort would go to the Beyer but that's it. The Beyer dt880 is plain vanilla and neutral. That's certainly not what I'm after. Each to his own....

Maybe he has the rev3 if so that would explain it all. Lol

My brief run in with rev3 reminded me of an Akg 7 series with a touch more bass n a screaming high end. Some have had the revision3 for a week or two. I after10 seconds of listening knew they where different from rev2 and 4 mins 50 seconds to take em off my head and never want to try them again because of the ear ache it gave "pain".

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #4,588 of 6,017
Quote:
Maybe he has the rev3 if so that would explain it all. Lol
My brief run in with rev3 reminded me of an Akg 7 series with a touch more bass n a screaming high end. Some have had the revision3 for a week or two. I after10 seconds of listening knew they where different from rev2 and 4 mins 50 seconds to take em off my head and never want to try them again because of the ear ache it gave "pain".

That's a shame really. I don't see the point in revising that driver. The problems with it were minor with regard to defect. This could really blow up and swing all the momentum away from an otherwise outstanding hp. HFM should react quickly to this one. We'll see...

popcorn.gif

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #4,589 of 6,017
That's a shame really. I don't see the point in revising that driver. The problems with it were minor with regard to defect. This could really blow up and swing all the momentum away from an otherwise outstanding hp. HFM should react quickly to this one. We'll see...

:popcorn:

I agree with you 110%..

People of revision3 are already starting to have buyers remorse..

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #4,590 of 6,017
I'm a little iffy on how big of a difference there really is.  I'm fairly certain I had a rev 3 hp now that I think about when I had the pads off and I didn't notice any real issue with overly bright treble or sibilance.  Granted I didn't have the rev 2 to compare but coming directly too rev 3 wasn't as bad as it seems to be made out by some people on here, imo at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back