New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 5, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #3,483 of 6,017
Hate to be a worry wart, but I haven't heard back from Head-Direct and my order was never updated. Granted, I placed my order on a Friday. And Monday was a holiday. But I figured I would have had heard something today. Even sent off an email just checking up.

Anyone in the past had any issues with them not updating orders or taking a while to ship their stuff out?

=/

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #3,485 of 6,017
Quote:
I happen to find that HD650 makes an excellent complement to HE-400.  K702 does as well, both are different from HE-400 in opposite directions, so it depends what flavor of different you wanted to go with.  HE500 by most accounts is too similar to be a compliment.

Quote:
Certainly not the he500. They are cut from the same cloth for sure. Different but too similar if you are looking for a very different can that will complement the he400.

I'd say go for a closed can like the d5k or a pair of modded Fostex t50's such as the Maddog's. That would make a good complement. 

gL!!

Quote:
+1 but if choose Mad Dogs get with Dog Pads
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Good thing, I found the K702 new for US$400 (I live in Chile), the HE500 for US$590, and the Beyers DT880@250 for US$500. If the HE500s aren't a good compliment, I'll go for AKGs. I didn't find HD650.
Thanks guys!

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #3,486 of 6,017
Are you sure the speaker 3.5mm jack is properly inserted into the soundcard (loose connection?), therefore you headphones won't get a proper connection either? 
Why don't you just plug the headphones directly into the soundcard, really can't be that difficult 
blink.gif

Quote:
To me it doesn't sound good at all by any standard.  I had the volume almost all the way up in the control panel and it was barely even loud enough, everything sounded muddy/muffled even with EQ at certain extremes.

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #3,487 of 6,017
Be aware that if HE400's tonality fits your taste and you think it sounds balanced rather than dark, then the AKG K/Q701/2 line will sound very bright and fast to your ears.

If however your perceived impression of HE400 is fairly dark, then you should be able to tolerate or even enjoy the AKG sound.

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #3,488 of 6,017
So I am finally getting my HE 400 in the mail today, too excited. Just hope I made the right choice by going with O2+ODAC. Anyway, are there any songs that you would suggest that particularly show off the strengths of this headphone and make you WOW!

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #3,489 of 6,017
Quote:
So I am finally getting my HE 400 in the mail today, too excited. Just hope I made the right choice by going with O2+ODAC. Anyway, are there any songs that you would suggest that particularly show off the strengths of this headphone and make you WOW!

Some live acoustic music would work. E.g. Nirvana - unplugged in new york.

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #3,491 of 6,017
Quote:
Hate to be a worry wart, but I haven't heard back from Head-Direct and my order was never updated. Granted, I placed my order on a Friday. And Monday was a holiday. But I figured I would have had heard something today. Even sent off an email just checking up.

Anyone in the past had any issues with them not updating orders or taking a while to ship their stuff out?

=/

I did tell you they were slow, email them through their contact us form, I got on their case heavily for being so slow when i bought my Hifimans, it turns out i had to wait two weeks because of a defect with the leather pads that week, they needed to wait till a new batch were made, so in my anecdote they were *super* slow, they are still generally slack on communication, just get on their case, you paid $400 for headphones that should be built and ready to ship, get your monies worth and email em !

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #3,492 of 6,017
Quote:
Your sound has no dedicated headphones amp which uses 6.35 mm jack unlike Xonar ST/STX so you need attach external amp to your line out jack using 3.5 mm to RCA cable or attach DAC to SPIDF jack and then attach amp to DAC using RCA interconnects

Edit you attaching them to the correct jack nut since it isn't dedicated headphones amp it can't drive them properly so your only option is to do what I said earlier or I like I do now connect dac thru usb and then attach amp to dac using RCA interconnects

+1

Quote:
To me it doesn't sound good at all by any standard.  I had the volume almost all the way up in the control panel and it was barely even loud enough, everything sounded muddy/muffled even with EQ at certain extremes.

As olegausany said, the issue is that the standard headphone out jack of a sound card is generally going to be poor quality and low power.  The Xonar is special because it includes an onboard headamp.  A regular headphone out on a sound cart will be roughly line level output at max (generally a bit under line level from a desktop component), and horrendous output impedance (a bad thing for the already very low impedance HE-400.)  The HE-400 is an efficient headphone for an ortho, but it's still an ortho and still has some power requirements to it in terms of current.  It doesn't need the HE-6's crazy 100w speaker amp, but it needs at least a solidly amped portable headphone amp or better.  The Xonar would do it since it does have a headphone amp built in.  Otherwise, getting the sound out to an external amp is essential.

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #3,493 of 6,017
They were actually very fast for me. I ordered them on Amazon(through Head Direct) on a Wednesday, got them on Saturday. I must have got lucky.

I loved how "Aubergine of the Sun" by Ott sounded: http://ottsonic.bandcamp.com/track/the-aubergine-of-the-sun

+1

As olegausany said, the issue is that the standard headphone out jack of a sound card is generally going to be poor quality and low power.  The Xonar is special because it includes an onboard headamp.  A regular headphone out on a sound cart will be roughly line level output at max (generally a bit under line level from a desktop component), and horrendous output impedance (a bad thing for the already very low impedance HE-400.)  The HE-400 is an efficient headphone for an ortho, but it's still an ortho and still has some power requirements to it in terms of current.  It doesn't need the HE-6's crazy 100w speaker amp, but it needs at least a solidly amped portable headphone amp or better.  The Xonar would do it since it does have a headphone amp built in.  Otherwise, getting the sound out to an ext

They shouldn't sound horrible without an amp though, maybe a lot worst in comparison but by no means bad. On their website they even say that they can be driven by an iPod.

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #3,494 of 6,017
Quote:

They shouldn't sound horrible without an amp though, maybe a lot worst in comparison but by no means bad. On their website they even say that they can be driven by an iPod.

Agreed. There is nothing unique to planar magnetic headphones that requires any special amping. If anything, they are more compatible with a wider variety of amps than dynamic headphones. The HE-400 (little pretty much all modern headphones) has high enough impedance to be an undemanding load for any audio amp, and a high enough sensitivity to generate ear-bleeding SPL's with very little power. Output impedance of the amp is irrelevant.

If the HE-400s sound terrible out of the Xonar DX, then something is not working properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back