New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Aug 17, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #3,121 of 6,017
Quote:
^This. It was documented by Purrin, and you can see the bass was pretty much identical to the pleather. Spacers or no spacers, it sounds the same. He must be having issues with sealing without the spacer.

How have the HE-400 headphones been as far as QC? No big differentials from pair to pair?

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #3,122 of 6,017
Sound-wise I wouldn't know. The only issue they had was with the first batch and one of the drivers cutting off. That has since been fixed, and then the new revision has different tuning for more treble energy. Don't know about sound variations within the same revision, though I highly doubt that's the case. Bass simply shouldn't 'disappear' by going from pleather/velour/spacer/no spacer. Mids and treble also didn't change from spacer/no spacer.

I'm gonna blame it on placebo, or really bad velours. All I know is that these velours feel a lot like the Pro 900's velours, which have plenty of strength to keep from squishing the pads all Beyer 880/990-like.

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #3,123 of 6,017
Quote:
Sound-wise I wouldn't know. The only issue they had was with the first batch and one of the drivers cutting off. That has since been fixed, and then the new revision has different tuning for more treble energy. Don't know about sound variations within the same revision, though I highly doubt that's the case. Bass shouldn't 'disappear' by going from pleather/velour/spacer/no spacer.

I thought you had heard multiple pairs of the revised HE-400...wonder if that was Matt?...

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #3,125 of 6,017
Quote:

That's very strange how you notice a decrease in bass quantity with the velours, my guess is you have a smallish head so the seal isn't so good unless you get those foam spacers in the pads to prop them against your ears more supple-y.

All i know is my velours ( I ordered 2 sets) without the spacer are much thinner then the pleathers with the spacer, this was causing my ears to touch the driver grill and the bass dropped off. Also my headband was very loose to begin with so the spacers helped them seal better.

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #3,126 of 6,017
Quote:
All i know is my velours ( I ordered 2 sets) without the spacer are much thinner then the pleathers with the spacer, this was causing my ears to touch the driver grill and the bass dropped off. Also my headband was very loose to begin with so the spacers helped them seal better.

That's probably the culprit here. My pair has a fairly strong clamp new, I only needed to flex the headband a tiny bit for the clamp to become perfect (without the need of spacers in the pads). Are your velours without spacers thicker than your pleathers also without spacers though? Because that's what I observe.

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #3,127 of 6,017
I would second that it is a clamp issue brought into play by the spacers...probably. 

Just noticed this morning that I have a sizeable  dent in more of my grills. Maybe dropped or banged up against something pretty hard. I surely didn't do it. Gotta blame the wife on this one. If will see if she will come clean about it later. It has not affected or damaged anything and I suppose that I can just take the grills off and re-shape it. Might as well do the grill mod while I'm at it!!

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #3,128 of 6,017
Quote:
I would second that it is a clamp issue brought into play by the spacers...probably. 

Just noticed this morning that I have a sizeable  dent in more of my grills. Maybe dropped or banged up against something pretty hard. I surely didn't do it. Gotta blame the wife on this one. If will see if she will come clean about it later. It has not affected or damaged anything and I suppose that I can just take the grills off and re-shape it. Might as well do the grill mod while I'm at it!!

popcorn.gif

Finally someone finds a reason to try the mod I painstakingly wrote out lol.

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #3,129 of 6,017
Okay, velour pads were ordered last night so it is time to pull the trigger on the headphones. Can't wait to see if the hype in this thread is justified. I'll report back after a week or two of listening to them.
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #3,130 of 6,017
All of you that  are talking about comfort when adding the spacer must have different clamping force on your HEs then me.  My 400s and 500s both fit very loose, and I am not a small guy (6'4). 

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #3,131 of 6,017
After trying the velours with and without the spacers for the day i find the sound much better but the comfort is worse then the pleather's either way. Without the spacers my ear touch's the driver grill and gets really sore, with the spacers the pads become too hard and hurt my ears due to the smaller opening compared to the pleather's. I tried going back to the pleather's but after getting used to the better sound of the velours they sound very bad,  Damb my big ears :frowning2:

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #3,132 of 6,017
This spacer talk is getting a little weird for me. Well, I just don't have the same experience as some are describing. With no spacers, my ears do not touch period. Now with many other hp's that I own, my ears do touch. I consider the d5k to have pretty roomy cups, but my left ear still touches slightly (I guess my ears are asymmetrical...no jokes please). The he400 is the only hp that I can remember not getting any part of my ears to touch on. Now the clamp is very loose for me which is the way that I like it. 

I notice ZERO differences when the spacers added. Maybe there is a little less comfort when the spacers are added. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #3,133 of 6,017
This spacer talk is getting a little weird for me. Well, I just don't have the same experience as some are describing. With no spacers, my ears do not touch period. Now with many other hp's that I own, my ears do touch. I consider the d5k to have pretty roomy cups, but my left ear still touches slightly (I guess my ears are asymmetrical...no jokes please). The he400 is the only hp that I can remember not getting any part of my ears to touch on. Now the clamp is very loose for me which is the way that I like it. 

I notice ZERO differences when the spacers added. Maybe there is a little less comfort when the spacers are added. 

were your velours the new or old, or a hybrid glued down but on the new ring? the glued flap is the old style pad, new plate or otherwise, and is thicker and softer.

my ear definitely crushes in on the headphone. The fact that HE6 has a foam triangle right where the ear wouodtouch tells me its not an unusual proble for these pads, but the HE6 solution really does work :) The driver on HE400 is smaller so maybe it would harm SQ for 400.

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #3,134 of 6,017
AFAIK mine are the new style. I have one pair that came with the hp's and one new pair I just got this week. They appear to be the same. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #3,135 of 6,017
AFAIK mine are the new style. I have one pair that came with the hp's and one new pair I just got this week. They appear to be the same. 

You people with yiur square heads and little bitty kitten ears.....

I think if yiur head slopes around sharply behin your ear it presents an hrtf issue with the pads. I would have to rotate the cups ALL the way backward to get a seal. but rhen in summer when the pads are warmer and softer, thats whn it sinks enough to pinch my ear. Also with the cups rotated thatfar back, the soundstage comes from behind instead of front. So to solve the pinch and soundstage, i have to rotate them front and have a 1 inch more gap behind the pad and head :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back