New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Aug 13, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #3,046 of 6,017
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBYvgpRyFmU[/VIDEO]

Very exciting off the HE400.

I'm not kidding when I saw that I'm in absolute love with this damn headphone.

Just... hot damn.

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #3,048 of 6,017
Quote:
A friend told me about the Lindsey Stirling YouTube videos some time ago and I really like her music ( the videos are a little cheesy though). I also really enjoyed "Leaving Eden."
I've actually discovered a lot of great new (to me) music thanks to suggestions posted on head-fi. I use MOG streamed through my Squeezebox. It sounds great.

I know I won't like the music because it's not my style, but if they sound so awesome on the HE-400s I'll "suffer" through them to hear the good sound :D

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #3,051 of 6,017
It developed a flaw.. Steve is awesome and offered to replace it for me (just took him up on his offer - great service!! - love the cable!).  I had some money sitting in my PayPal account so I'd thought I'd try the Toxic and just ordered some more tubes for my Lyr.
Quote:

I'm gonna ask anyway. Why go Toxic? I have the Q cable and it's wonderful. Heck, you can sell it to me as a backup...or for my next pair of HFM hp's. 
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #3,052 of 6,017
Quote:
How is the HE-400 with jazz music from the 50's - 60's? I've been looking for a laid back pair of headphones for jazz, soul, and funk. Would the HE-400 fit the bill or should I look elsewhere? 

I've only had mine for a few days, but they sounded great when I listened to Sonny Rollins' The Bridge earlier tonight.

I highly advise getting a crossfeed plugin for this type of music for headphones, though.  The mastering on some of these albums will often have the main sax or trumpet blaring directly into your left or right ear; sounds okay on speakers, not so much on headphones.  Check this thread for some info on a decent VST plugin, IsoneSurround.

Thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/473885/isone-pro-the-best-thing-you-could-ever-get-for-your-headphones-on-your-computer
Product link: http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isonesurround/

I use the free version of TBIsoneSurround with foobar2000 and it works great for when I need to push the sound "out" a bit for older jazz recordings.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #3,055 of 6,017
When I listen to this song with my Q40 + ZO2.1 combo I feel the headphone cups "jumping" slightly with the bass beats. lol But I like the mastering which is unusual for this kind of genre these days, vocals are so clear quite pushed forward but still sounds clean despite there's a heavy bass line.

If you're into what crossfeed plugins and such provides I'd also give this config a try (the "forward" config), it might suprise you. http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss - it's a more drastic soundstage difference but still tuned to sound very natural.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #3,056 of 6,017
Quote:
When I listen to this song with my Q40 + ZO2.1 combo I feel the headphone cups "jumping" slightly with the bass beats. lol But I like the mastering which is unusual for this kind of genre these days, vocals are so clear quite pushed forward but still sounds clean despite there's a heavy bass line.

If you're into what crossfeed plugins and such provides I'd also give this config a try (the "forward" config), it might suprise you. http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss - it's a more drastic soundstage difference but still tuned to sound very natural.

I feel that is not just an issue with mastering with modern music, but also a limitation with most dynamic voice-coil diaphragm drivers.

I have compared the HE400s vs my other headphones (HE300, M50, Ksc75, Portapro, Yuin G2A) at one point with "beats heavy" pop and dance tracks, and in almost every case, the HE400s were able to minimize the effect of bass drowning out the vocals and other instruments, while all my other cans struggled or downright flopped with trying to handle overmastered bass beats and other mids/treble details simultaneously.

A way for dynamic headphone driver designs to use more advanced diaphragms (e.g. biocellulose with a few high-end Sony's, ring radiator design with HD800) but the issue is still within the fundamental mechanics itself.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #3,058 of 6,017
Quote:
Hi, I have a pair of AKG Q701 and I'm looking for a warmer and slightly bassier pair of HP to complement the Q701, would these be a good choice?

One of the best choices.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #3,059 of 6,017
Absolutely. I owned both within like a few weeks apart or so (having been used to the Q's sound, and the HE400 is warmer, richer, and just a better can in most things. The Q's have it beat in sheer soundstage size and airyness, but lacks the emotion and body the HE400 brings out in music.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #3,060 of 6,017
Hi! I'm really interested in these cans... I come from the RE-ZERO and love the sound, the amount of bass on most tracks is just right but could maybe use a little more. I prevously owned the SR80i and loved them aswell. I'm having a hard time choosing the HE-400 + Fiio E17 vs the Grado PS500 with no amp/dac. Are both headphones on the same league? I know one is darker than the other but both have that "fun" factor. Anyway, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back