New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Aug 8, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #2,866 of 6,017
As a photographer, I love bounce flash.. never use direct flash as it kills colours.. an older photo but this should work:

Quote:
As far as color, I'm going to post mine again because I feel this is how they look 99% of the time:

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #2,868 of 6,017
That works too.. indirect/diffused light is the best.
Quote:
I hardly ever use flash.  Everything just goes in my lightbox with a couple light sources.

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #2,870 of 6,017
Man, my other expensive hobby.. just picked up the 70-300L.
For the price of the new 24-70L II, you can pick up the HE400, Bifrost, Lyr and a 15-85 (if you're on crop) or 24-105L if you're on FF.
Edit: Oops.. you already have the Bifrost and Valhalla.. time to go Vioeletric v200.. forget the lens 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
man, that's another reason I'm holding back on the HE-400 lol

I want a 24-70L..

:frowning2:

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #2,871 of 6,017
I know right?!

hahaha for the price of a 24-70L I could also pick up a Taylor or Martin guitar (my other other hobby) 

sigh... I think I need to find a cut off point with Head-fi and then funnel all the money to photography. I'm really lacking in that department with just my 20d, 430ex II, 50mm 1.8 and the kit lens -_-

I do love what I have now, but I'm so curious with tube rolling. I bought my Valhalla off a member here awhile ago so I have the older non rollable version. And then RIGHT after I bought my hd650 I find this thread about the HE-400. I was actually thinking about getting the HE-500 down the road when I have the urge to upgrade from the HD650. To be honest with you, so far I'm liking it more than my DT880s. I think I might try to find a upgrade for the HD650 and call it quits. 

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #2,872 of 6,017
Quote:
Yes, it does.. I have the Audioquest Dragonfly, Audioengine D1 and the Lyr.  Sounds best out of the Lyr but could easily live with the HE400 and the D1. Some people really like it with the FiiO suff but I'm retiring my E10 and E17.
With the Lyr.. tubes make a difference (as I think MLE stated)

How big is difference between Audioengine D1 and Audioquest DragonFly?

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #2,873 of 6,017
Quote:
I know right?!

hahaha for the price of a 24-70L I could also pick up a Taylor or Martin guitar (my other other hobby) 

sigh... I think I need to find a cut off point with Head-fi and then funnel all the money to photography. I'm really lacking in that department with just my 20d, 430ex II, 50mm 1.8 and the kit lens -_-

I do love what I have now, but I'm so curious with tube rolling. I bought my Valhalla off a member here awhile ago so I have the older non rollable version. And then RIGHT after I bought my hd650 I find this thread about the HE-400. I was actually thinking about getting the HE-500 down the road when I have the urge to upgrade from the HD650. To be honest with you, so far I'm liking it more than my DT880s. I think I might try to find a upgrade for the HD650 and call it quits. 

DUDE exactly..when i think about spending money on headphones I just have that image of beautiful guitars from the guitar shop popping up in my head...

To think we sold one of our older pianos for 2k back home...

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #2,874 of 6,017
I finally got my HE-400s in the other day.  I let my EF1 warm up while I got them out of the packaging.  The Canare cable they come with is pretty solid; I prefer something simple and easily replaceable.  The cups came "out of alignment" as seen in previous pics, which is entirely a non-issue: the cups swivel back and forth and are easy to line up, nothing is really misaligned as such.

So, with the amp warmed up, I plugged in the HE-400s, ready to hear that planar sound for the first time.  And wow.

What a disappointment.  All of three or four seconds into the first track, it had already hit me, or rather, hadn't hit me: the sound was very muffled and the mids seemed heavily veiled.  I figured that something must be wrong and tried re-seating the cables, tried different amps, but I couldn't escape from the serious badness of the sound.  I expected the sound to be dark, but not this much.  I don't mean to be dramatic but I usually find something to like in a headphone, and it was just missing here.  There was something good in there, but it was hard to appreciate the even, deep bass and nice imaging when so much of the spectrum seemed so far away and lifeless.

So after 30 or 40 minutes, I put them down to get ready for bed, figuring I would ship them back in the morning.  I couldn't figure out what was so interesting about the HE-400s; maybe they just weren't suited to my taste.  My main headphones now are D2000s, which some might describe as bright, but I also really enjoyed the HD650s I had earlier this year, as well as other Sennheisers and "darker" headphones.  I just couldn't get into the HE-400 sound.

I wanted to try out the velours, but wondered if it was really worth the effort if the sound was that far off from my ideal out of the box.  I gave it a shot anyway.  The pads actually came off easily—easier than my D2000s—and went on easy enough.  And wow.

What a difference!  I couldn't believe this was the same set of headphones.  I'd read the posts about the velour pads being an improvement but I was expecting something subtle or just better comfort, not a drastic change.  The low end was not negatively impacted at all, and the entirety of the rest of the sound improved.  It didn't just sound better than before, it sounded good.  The mids came back, the treble no longer felt veiled, all of the muffled impressions I had before were gone.  It still has a dark sound, but more along the lines of what I had been expecting to start with.  I'm really enjoying them now.

I'm curious to see how these measure with the velours in comparison to the stock pleathers.  It's either a big difference or my ears are really sensitive to the areas that changed.  Why does HiFiMAN sell these with pleathers?  I know everyone has their own tastes, but I have a hard time believing that anyone would prefer these the way I first heard them with the stock pads.  Maybe HiFiMAN went too far in their effort to create a certain concept sound in the HE-400s?

If you own these and haven't tried the velours, definitely try them out, the improvements noted in many posts in this thread are not exaggerated.  If you've reviewed them before and didn't try the velours, review them again.

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #2,875 of 6,017
Quote:
I finally got my HE-400s in the other day.  I let my EF1 warm up while I got them out of the packaging.  The Canare cable they come with is pretty solid; I prefer something simple and easily replaceable.  The cups came "out of alignment" as seen in previous pics, which is entirely a non-issue: the cups swivel back and forth and are easy to line up, nothing is really misaligned as such.

So, with the amp warmed up, I plugged in the HE-400s, ready to hear that planar sound for the first time.  And wow.

What a disappointment.  All of three or four seconds into the first track, it had already hit me, or rather, hadn't hit me: the sound was very muffled and the mids seemed heavily veiled.  I figured that something must be wrong and tried re-seating the cables, tried different amps, but I couldn't escape from the serious badness of the sound.  I expected the sound to be dark, but not this much.  I don't mean to be dramatic but I usually find something to like in a headphone, and it was just missing here.  There was something good in there, but it was hard to appreciate the even, deep bass and nice imaging when so much of the spectrum seemed so far away and lifeless.

So after 30 or 40 minutes, I put them down to get ready for bed, figuring I would ship them back in the morning.  I couldn't figure out what was so interesting about the HE-400s; maybe they just weren't suited to my taste.  My main headphones now are D2000s, which some might describe as bright, but I also really enjoyed the HD650s I had earlier this year, as well as other Sennheisers and "darker" headphones.  I just couldn't get into the HE-400 sound.

I wanted to try out the velours, but wondered if it was really worth the effort if the sound was that far off from my ideal out of the box.  I gave it a shot anyway.  The pads actually came off easily—easier than my D2000s—and went on easy enough.  And wow.

What a difference!  I couldn't believe this was the same set of headphones.  I'd read the posts about the velour pads being an improvement but I was expecting something subtle or just better comfort, not a drastic change.  The low end was not negatively impacted at all, and the entirety of the rest of the sound improved.  It didn't just sound better than before, it sounded good.  The mids came back, the treble no longer felt veiled, all of the muffled impressions I had before were gone.  It still has a dark sound, but more along the lines of what I had been expecting to start with.  I'm really enjoying them now.

I'm curious to see how these measure with the velours in comparison to the stock pleathers.  It's either a big difference or my ears are really sensitive to the areas that changed.  Why does HiFiMAN sell these with pleathers?  I know everyone has their own tastes, but I have a hard time believing that anyone would prefer these the way I first heard them with the stock pads.  Maybe HiFiMAN went too far in their effort to create a certain concept sound in the HE-400s?

If you own these and haven't tried the velours, definitely try them out, the improvements noted in many posts in this thread are not exaggerated.  If you've reviewed them before and didn't try the velours, review them again.

Interesting. I don't find these particularly muffled or veiled with the pleather pads. I will be getting the velours tomorrow. I'll see how they are with them.

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #2,877 of 6,017
Quote:
Gotta read the whole post to enjoy the he400. Velour...Velour....Velour...
wink.gif

and trophy goes to Matt...he was first to discover Velour goodies
beyersmile.png

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #2,878 of 6,017
Quote:

and trophy goes to Matt...he was first to discover Velour goodies
beyersmile.png

For the good of mankind (or at least for those who are interested in getting these cans) I really think we should collectively suggest this to Dr. Fang Bian.

Perhaps make a thread about it and have all the HE400 owners "sign" / "vouch" it, and then link Fang to it?

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #2,879 of 6,017
Quote:
For the good of mankind (or at least for those who are interested in getting these cans) I really think we should collectively suggest this to Dr. Fang Bian.

Perhaps make a thread about it and have all the HE400 owners "sign" / "vouch" it, and then link Fang to it?

+1
good idea, best way to show our appreciation to Matt...

Aug 9, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #2,880 of 6,017
I had the same experience. I bought the HE400 already expecting disappointment, as I'm not a fan of a dark signature. I could appreciate and even like the HE400's sound with pleather, but it wasn't my preference at all. It wasn't until I put on the velours when I literally flipped out at how amazing they sounded.

You hear enough headphones, and trust me, subtle differences become HUGE differences. Just ask those of us who have tested the K701 and Q701. To me, it's the difference between love (Q701) and hate (old 7 bump K701).

The pleathered HE400 sounds a bit too dark, and stuffy. With the velours, the soundstage opens up, and the clarity is bumped up a few notches. There's nothing too subtle about it once you learn to hear the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back