New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Jul 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #2,476 of 6,017
The fit will get better over the course of the next week or so. As will the sound. 
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #2,480 of 6,017
Quote:
You guys sure are talking up the velours... i guess i'm gonna have to order some tonight.

Best $20-odd dollar sonic and comfort improvement you'll ever spend in this hobby.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #2,481 of 6,017
This is too early an impression to take seriously, but I feel I have to mention it...

The HE400 so far has shown to be very well balanced for gaming and very, VERY detailed. The treble is also crisp, but non-fatiguing. The bass is powerful when called for, making them just phenomenal for all forms of gaming. The positioning in Black Ops, so far has been absolutely spot on, and it really does pair well with Dolby Headphone.

This is the headphone that the DT880s SHOULD have been, if they got positioning right.

So yes, this may very well be the best open balanced headphone I have used that more than satisfies for every single purpose without any actual tradeoffs (no lack of bass, mids, or treble) or any issues (harshness, boominess, etc).

This sounds like a glowing impression. So far, it's glowing for a reason. I haven't heard a headphone that has absolutely no issues when gaming. I mean ZERO.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #2,482 of 6,017
Quote:
This is too early an impression to take seriously, but I feel I have to mention it...
The HE400 so far has shown to be very well balanced for gaming and very, VERY detailed. The treble is also crisp, but non-fatiguing. The bass is powerful when called for, making them just phenomenal for all forms of gaming. The positioning in Black Ops, so far has been absolutely spot on, and it really does pair well with Dolby Headphone.
This is the headphone that the DT880s SHOULD have been, if they got positioning right.
So yes, this may very well be the best open balanced headphone I have used that more than satisfies for every single purpose without any actual tradeoffs (no lack of bass, mids, or treble) or any issues (harshness, boominess, etc).
This sounds like a glowing impression. So far, it's glowing for a reason. I haven't heard a headphone that has absolutely no issues when gaming. I mean ZERO.

Sounds like they're gonna have a monopoly on your headphone gaming guide thread 
popcorn.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #2,483 of 6,017
As far as the one headphone that does it all, looks like the HE400 is definitely going to be that headphone from now on. However, the price is still prohibitive to a lot of people, so that is also a factor.

I won't lie, the HE400 is good enough for me to deal with the loss in bass... and just return the Pro 900s...

Though I honestly don't want to. There's a lot of fun to be had with the Pro 900s.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #2,485 of 6,017
Nah, I don't like messing with EQ. I'm really happy with them as is. I'm just really spoiled by the D7000 and Pro 900's bass. If I get the E17 in the future, I'll probably use a low level bass boost. I like the E17 because I'll be able to tone down the Pro 900's treble as well. This is a what if, however.

I do have a reason to use the Pro 900s. They isolate well, and I tend to listen to my pc setup during late hours. I can't do it with the HE400, as my roomate sleeps with the door open, and would definitely hear the HE400.

Also, the Pro 900 is considerably easier to lay in bed with while gaming. The HE400 tends to be masked by my pillow, and you know how sensitive the HE400 is when the drivers get even partially covered. I have to use them sitting up.

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #2,486 of 6,017
I also received my HE-400 yesterday and I have to say they are a little different from what I was expecting. I'm already 5 hours into them, so I don't know if they are burned in enough to give a quick review, but I think I'll give my 2 cents so far. The EQ is very flat with the mids being a tad bit recessed. The soundstage isn't very big and the imaging isn't defined enough to perk my ears . I would describe it as a "in-your-head" sound. One thing is for certain...this is a dark headphone...and warm too. Combined with the relatively flat sound signature, I would describe it as very safe. A slight coloration is apparent, which does make the mids pop out a bit. I actually think the mids seem a bit boring. The instrumentation sounds too close and coercive. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I was leaning towards a slightly separated sound signature with vocals that are a bit more forward.

The HE-400 blend the vocals in well...like a human statue cemented deeply in a wall with a few body parts shallowly sticking out. The vocals aren't audacious as to reach out and touch you, rather they want you to be pulled in. I was listening to Dave Matthews Band and a couple of other bands, and everything sounded very temperate and "together." 
There isn't much of a sparkle in the highs. I was trying to listen for some crispiness in the treble, but alas, this is a dark hp. I would describe the highs as kind of tame and even a bit rolled-off. The highs are very easy-going and comfortable to listen to. The bass isn't that strong in my opinion. I didn't think of myself as a basshead, but after listening to this hp, I think I might be. There were a few instances where the bass did come alive, but when it did, I didn't jump out of my seat. It is definitely not overbearing and prominent. For the most part, I would describe it as being very mellow..like a cat brushing itself against your leg. 

Overall, I would say I'm not totally impressed, but that's probably to be expected with only 5 hrs. time. By the way, I'm using a yamaha htr-5590 receiver to drive it and it drives the HE-400 fine. I find myself reaching for the bass knob and turning it to 3 o'clock (12 o'clock is neutral). I give the treble a bit of a push as well to 2 o' clock. My setup was connecting my ipod and my CD player (via optical cable) to the receiver. It's probably not the most ideal setup, but I figured it was good enough to start off with. I am thinking of getting a e17 pretty soon. By then, I will have probably have burned them in enough to witness a slight change in sound 
dt880smile.png

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #2,487 of 6,017
We must be seriously listening to different headphones.

My HE400 with velours... and man, these things are ALIVE and swinging for the fences. Mine are brand spanking new, with little time on them.

Hearing them side by side with the Pro 900, and they sound infinitely more airy than the Pro 900. There is the perfect amount of sparkle, where the Pro 900 has a metallic twinge to it's treble at it's extreme upper end. Those who know me, know that I'm a bit of a treblehead (I loved my DT990s which are like super treble heavy), and I don't find the treble to be dark at all on the HE400, just more realistic.

The vocals are so lovely, it makes the Pro 900's vocals seem like they're coming from the other end of the street. It's crazy what a difference there is in the mids.

The bass is surely not close to the Pro 900s or D7000s, but man, it's what I consider just right where it should be for reference cans. Like this is how I feel that this is where bass is mastered. It's not lacking technically, and can hit right when a song calls for it.

I don't know how these are 'dark', but I'm not hearing it. perhaps with the pleather pads, they were certainly warmer and less airy, but not with the velours. The clarity was definitely improved, and with it came a slight tonal shift towards more brightness than with the stock pads, yet still wonderfully organic and meaty.

There is so much air and space in the instruments, I have no problems with it's soundstage either.

Honestly, I don't think I could go back to dynamics after this. Planar magnetics just have this.. sound...it's awe-inspiring. Like having speakers strapped to your head, and not like a standard headphone. I was in awe with the HE-4 back when I had them, but I surely must have forgot down the line just how superior planars are in portraying sound than dynamics.

Guys, so the HE400 has more bass than the HE500? Good thing I went with the HE400 then. If Hifiman comes out with an efficient bass heavy planar... sign me up!

Oh yes, I listen moderately high (not extremely so), and I guess at lower volumes it can sound darker than how I'm describing, yet still magnificent.

Marty, your receiver may also be on the warm side, making the He400 sound darker than it truly is.

Also, you sure yours are the latest revision? Your post sounds like what I expect in the original HE400.

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #2,488 of 6,017
Quote:
<snip> By the way, I'm using a yamaha htr-5590 receiver to drive it and it drives the HE-400 fine. I find myself reaching for the bass knob and turning it to 3 o'clock (12 o'clock is neutral). I give the treble a bit of a push as well to 2 o' clock. My setup was connecting my ipod and my CD player (via optical cable) to the receiver. It's probably not the most ideal setup, but I figured it was good enough to start off with. I am thinking of getting a e17 pretty soon. By then, I will have probably have burned them in enough to witness a slight change in sound 
dt880smile.png

Believe me, I'm a fan of using receivers and integrated amplifiers to drive headphones - especially Yamaha.  However, I've found their newer 2-channel integrated amps and receivers to be some of the best to deliver a better presentation.  Home theater receivers can be some of the worst, because there is way too much going on with their design to drive many more channels, process video signals, etc.  That's where the the newer stereo equipment really shines, because less interference can be involved.  Plus, the older generation (e.g. 5590) was known to be somewhat "thin" and bright in the presentation.

I'm not using the excuse of your source for what you may, or may not be hearing with your HE-400s, but I do think that if you were to give the HifiMAN headphones -- or, any headphone for that matter a fair shake, then it should be with a decent amp / DAC designed for the process.  If your intention is to keep the HTR-5590 for driving future headphones, too, you'll never be able to utilize 100% of the headphones' capability.

Perhaps, if you had a solid amp / DAC designed to drive headphones,  you would really open yourself to hearing more capabilities from many of the headphones out there.  I do realize you noted the E17 as a possibility, but my flavor of the week happens to be Audio-GD.  A solid amp, with (2) Wolfson chips integrated for the DAC section.  This is just a starting off point.  It provides a cleaner signal to driver the HE-400s as well as any headphone you might own.  Again, just a starting point as there are many amps / DACs out there that have sound signatures, capabilities, etc., that others may prefer based on their experiences.

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #2,489 of 6,017
I second the Audio-GD stuff. My NFB5 is making the HE400 sound like one hell of a serious beast.

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #2,490 of 6,017
Quote:
Nah, I don't like messing with EQ. I'm really happy with them as is. I'm just really spoiled by the D7000 and Pro 900's bass. If I get the E17 in the future, I'll probably use a low level bass boost. I like the E17 because I'll be able to tone down the Pro 900's treble as well. This is a what if, however.
I do have a reason to use the Pro 900s. They isolate well, and I tend to listen to my pc setup during late hours. I can't do it with the HE400, as my roomate sleeps with the door open, and would definitely hear the HE400.
Also, the Pro 900 is considerably easier to lay in bed with while gaming. The HE400 tends to be masked by my pillow, and you know how sensitive the HE400 is when the drivers get even partially covered. I have to use them sitting up.

Precisely why modding and replacing the existing stock grills would have a significant impact on its sound, more than any other type of headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back