New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Jul 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #2,356 of 6,017
My velour pads came in.... I can't hear **** out of them!

Lol, JUST the pads... now waiting for the headphones themselves. :frowning2:

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #2,358 of 6,017
Quote:
My velour pads came in.... I can't hear **** out of them!

Lol, JUST the pads... now waiting for the headphones themselves.
frown.gif

Did you forget to order the cans first? 
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #2,359 of 6,017
Nah, I ordered the cans from Moon Audio, which seems to be on vacation atm, and the velours from Head-Direct. :frowning2:

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #2,361 of 6,017
Quote:
Jerg, you are now truly the headphone gangsta. Please change your name accordingly. 

Seriously though, you don't need to attempt the mod, but try this: pop off the grills, hold one in each hand by corners (so when you move them against the outside of the drivers where they seat, your hands don't obstruct anything) and move them on and off at the same time while you play some well-recorded live music, and hear the difference. The default grills have too much material to not to cause some resonance and hence a more closed-in sound.

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #2,362 of 6,017
So the problem is that the grills are not perforated enough? And when you add a material that is more perforated the sound stage increased? 

Man, I love my he400 quite a bit. I don't know if I have the coconuts to try to mod them. 
blink.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #2,363 of 6,017
So the problem is that the grills are not perforated enough? And when you add a material that is more perforated the sound stage increased? 

Man, I love my he400 quite a bit. I don't know if I have the coconuts to try to mod them. :blink:

Don't fix what ain't broke

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #2,364 of 6,017
Quote:

Man, I love my he400 quite a bit. I don't know if I have the coconuts to try to mod them. 
blink.gif

Pretty much, the grill:hole cross-sectional SA ratio is too high...lol.

No need to mod em, they sound great, the mod itself doesn't change a damn thing about the sound signature or tonal balance, all it does is partially cut out the minute bit of resonance that causes the soundstage / imaging to be headphone-like.

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #2,365 of 6,017
Guys, is the stock HE400 covered with a mesh like material, like the HE-4? Or are they the pretty common black cables found on other headphones?

I really liked the cables on the HE-4.

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #2,366 of 6,017
Pleasant surprise when i got home today, HE-400s sitting at my door! Wasn't supposed to be delivered until tuesday...

Quote:
Guys, is the stock HE400 covered with a mesh like material, like the HE-4? Or are they the pretty common black cables found on other headphones?
I really liked the cables on the HE-4.

The stock cable is a black canare cable, nothing special, but nicer then many other stock cables.

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #2,367 of 6,017
So I got the chance to hear the HE-400 today, overall impressed. I think I get what people mean when they say they are dark but with sparkle in other areas. It seems a bit too bassy for casual listening, but I did only hear it at a store, and it was only with an E11 that the owner let me demo. I'll probably get it, but experiment with EQ and different pairings to see if the bass can be tightened up.

And oh god those mids, they're probably comparable to the HE-500 (which was next to the HE-400's display, but I couldn't find a 1/4" adapter for it to try) from what I remember. Less detailed and transparent though. 

The only real problem I see at this moment is the bass overpowering the lovely mids at this moment, perhaps velvet pads help with this? (Tried pleather in store)
Edit: I might or might not have had the bass eq on the e11 turned on when I was listening, that might account for the flabby bass, Whoops.

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #2,368 of 6,017
Quote:
So I got the chance to hear the HE-400 today, overall impressed. I think I get what people mean when they say they are dark but with sparkle in other areas. It seems a bit too bassy for casual listening, but I did only hear it at a store, and it was only with an E11 that the owner let me demo. I'll probably get it, but experiment with EQ and different pairings to see if the bass can be tightened up.

And oh god those mids, they're probably comparable to the HE-500 (which was next to the HE-400's display, but I couldn't find a 1/4" adapter for it to try) from what I remember. Less detailed and transparent though. 

The only real problem I see at this moment is the bass overpowering the lovely mids at this moment, perhaps velvet pads help with this? (Tried pleather in store)

You should try to use 31 band equalizer with them and i heard them with E11 and don't think it's good match

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #2,369 of 6,017
Quote:
You should try to use 31 band equalizer with them and i heard them with E11 and don't think it's good match

I have an E10 at home to try them with (well, until my O2 comes back), would they sound better? There was a E10/E17 next to them, but they guy was closing up for the day, so I didn't get to try them out.

And I REALLY like the cables that they come with. Solid, seems like they'd last for a while. The braided silver HE-500 seemed paltry and downright puny next to them, it'd seem like they'd snap in seconds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back