New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Mar 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #1,141 of 6,017
Quote:
This is where I got mine http://www.thomann.de/de/sennheiser_hd_650_kopfpolster.htm

Do you know if there are any websites based in the US which sell them?

Any Sennheiser dealer should be able to get it for you. The part number is 88597

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #1,143 of 6,017

Quote:
Id like to see a diy closed can mod.  I like the sound when I cup my hands over the headphones.

Seriously? To my ears they sound all kinds of wrong with even a fraction of the outside cupped by my hands. Closing these would introduce all kinds of messed up resonances (what you are hearing when you cup the grills) that do nothing but kill the soundstage and mess up the sound signature.

Mar 29, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #1,144 of 6,017

Quote:
Id like to see a diy closed can mod.  I like the sound when I cup my hands over the headphones.

Not that I am a big fan of the idea, but you can do a lot with a little bit of duct tape 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #1,145 of 6,017

Quote:
Seriously? To my ears they sound all kinds of wrong with even a fraction of the outside cupped by my hands. Closing these would introduce all kinds of messed up resonances (what you are hearing when you cup the grills) that do nothing but kill the soundstage and mess up the sound signature.

Yea... it just makes the sound very hollow, totally kills the bass and mutes the mids, and makes the highs uncomfortably sharp. The kind of sound you'd get from a $2 pair of headphones you find on the side of a highway with water damage.

The drivers are design with space to breath in mind, so they don't have vents like all closed headphones have.

That means that you severely limit driver movement when you close one side of the headphones.

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #1,146 of 6,017

Quote:
For the small amount of money, I think going through an reterminating a spare cable is well worth it.  In my case, I used my HE-5LE cable, which already had a 4-pin XLR connector at one end.  So, in my case, I didn't have to chop up any factory cables to to where I am.  Then again, the factory cable for the HE-400 isn't fabulous cable by any means with the molded-on TRS connector, etc.  The Canare quad cable is a good cable, though.  However, my might consider ordering a pair of the gold connectors at the ear cup level and staring fresh with some new cable.  Again, it won't be all that expensive and you'll have a bit more control over your length, etc.  I receiver / amp isn't a "true" balanced amp to answer your question.  However, my running a balanced connection off of the speaker outs, it has meant for very life-like vocals that are almost chilling.

ahh, i see.. thanks for your reply then :)

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #1,148 of 6,017
Ok guys, I've finally sat down and done some parametric EQing. Doing some Sinewave scans it seems to me that the main funkinesses with the mids reside at the existence of two valleys: one at ~750 Hz, and one at ~2000 Hz, both valleys are about 4~5 dB lower than their neighbouring FRs, also the section between 1200 ~ 1800 Hz appears to be a slightly prominent peak. Doing a very quick and dirty parametric equalization curve just now countering these three abnormalities really made vocals much more life-like and the cupped feel in some vocals is mostly gone.

Perhaps future pro-modders could device dampening mods to do just those, that'd be legit.

Edit: HE-400 EQ revision 1:

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #1,149 of 6,017

Quote:
Ok guys, I've finally sat down and done some parametric EQing. Doing some Sinewave scans it seems to me that the main funkinesses with the mids reside at the existence of two valleys: one at ~750 Hz, and one at ~2000 Hz, both valleys are about 4~5 dB lower than their neighbouring FRs, also the section between 1200 ~ 1800 Hz appears to be a slightly prominent peak. Doing a very quick and dirty parametric equalization curve just now countering these three abnormalities really made vocals much more life-like and the cupped feel in some vocals is mostly gone.

Perhaps future pro-modders could device dampening mods to do just those, that'd be legit.

Edit: HE-400 EQ revision 1:

It's more like there's a peak/hump centered around 1K.  

And if you want to try out custom dampening just grab some felt or something and stick it in there.  

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #1,150 of 6,017

Quote:
It's more like there's a peak/hump centered around 1K.  

And if you want to try out custom dampening just grab some felt or something and stick it in there.  

Oh I'm just judging my EQ based on how my ears perceive any volume differences over the frequency range. Still now that you link that FR graph, it seems to match pretty well (not perfect) to my perceived valleys and peaks.

Is there any rules or tricks to honing in on dampening particular frequencies or is it always hit and miss?

Mar 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #1,151 of 6,017

Quote:
Oh I'm just judging my EQ based on how my ears perceive any volume differences over the frequency range. Still now that you link that FR graph, it seems to match pretty well (not perfect) to my perceived valleys and peaks.

Is there any rules or tricks to honing in on dampening particular frequencies or is it always hit and miss?

Probably best to ask about this kind of thing in the giant ortho roundup thread.  

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #1,152 of 6,017

Quote:

Probably best to ask about this kind of thing in the giant ortho roundup thread.  

Do they even talk about modding HiFiMAN/Audeze cans? I've skimmed that thread quite a few times and it seems to only focus one one of two things: T50RP, or vintage orthos.

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #1,154 of 6,017
Would someone give me some advice on headphone extensions for the he-400.  Ebay seller NYproaudio makes custom extensions from canare, mogami, and gotham cable but i'm not sure what will pair up with the stock he-400's (or which would be best).  I will likely just get a 10' extension, but i'd really only need 3-4'.  I will be using the 1/4" connection to my receiver.

http://stores.ebay.com/NY-PRO-AUDIO-CABLES/_i.html?_fsub=5469787

Thanks for any opinions/help.

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #1,155 of 6,017
heh, the only time these headphones sounded better with my hands over the grills was when I used the "telephone" preset in Electri-Q.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back