New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Mar 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #1,096 of 6,017

Quote:
Care to give a bit more descriptive an account of how the sound improved with this setup?

Yes.  No problem.  Actually, with the regular TRS connector, I thought the HE-400s sounded "good".  Moving over to balanced connectors with the speaker taps changed the sound by improving the level of realism and detail - kind of in an eery way, actually.  In my case, my Sansui, presented the music to me through the TRS connector and I could listen to the many various artists and enjoy my music.  However, when moving over to the speaker taps, I found that when I went back and relistened to some of the various sections of music that I'm quite familiar with, the headphones were much more "alive".  The vocals had more authority - like the performer was in the room with me and not me off in the distance listening to them.  The changes in their vocals as they would sing through the songs was pure and I could easily hear the changes in pitch, etc. 

I think for anyone who has the HifiMAN headphones, it would be worth considering moving over to a balanced cable and speaker taps.  The price is actually quite cheap, and will not cost an arm and a leg.  I was able to get a pair of Neutrik 4-Pin XLR connectors (Male / Female) for $12.99 - delivered.  Also, the Canare star quad cable runs only about $.51 cents per linear foot + shipping from various on-line vendors.  Finally, a new set of golden headphone connectors runs $10.## + shipping and they claim that their version is easier to work with than the connectors that are sold and provided by HifiMAN.  Clearly, this isn't snake oil that I'm trying to sell people on.  Doing the speaker taps, extension cable with the XLR connectors at each end, etc., woud ony be about $60.00 in materials.  In my case, it was a bit less because I used my cable from my HE-5LEs, which had the HifiMAN golden headphone connectors in place, as well as the XLR connector at the end of the cable.  However, in time, I'll build my own dedicated cable for the HE-400s so I don't have to keep doing the cable swaps.

I've also been running my HE-5LEs this weekend with the balanced mode cables.  In that configuration, my 5LEs produced less bass than the 400s, but still a pleasing amount.  However, the vocals were even more accurate and responsive.  Now, I can only imagine what it must sound like to have the HE-6 with a balanced connection and milking that details and "liveness" for all one can.  But, one must also consider if it's worth spending 120% more money for a 15% improvement in sound?

When I got into this hobby some years back with my Grado SR-60s (5 or 6 years back) or even my Radio Shack (made by Koss) closed headphones about 32 years back or the Yamahas 28 years back, I never thought I'd be able to ever achieve this level of sound quality from headphones.  Call me impressed.  Greatly impressed.

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #1,099 of 6,017
I would expect one should have a balanced setup all together or at least a balanced amp (output) in order to fully benefit from the balanced cable / connection. That means (in the case of HE-6) there's only two or three amps on the market today, that will be of interest: RSA Dark Star, Audio-gd Master-6 and Little Dot MkVI+. Well, and then the very, very rare speaker amps with balanced speaker output.

Quote:
Yes.  No problem.  Actually, with the regular TRS connector, I thought the HE-400s sounded "good".  Moving over to balanced connectors with the speaker taps changed the sound by improving the level of realism and detail - kind of in an eery way, actually.  In my case, my Sansui, presented the music to me through the TRS connector and I could listen to the many various artists and enjoy my music.  However, when moving over to the speaker taps, I found that when I went back and relistened to some of the various sections of music that I'm quite familiar with, the headphones were much more "alive".  The vocals had more authority - like the performer was in the room with me and not me off in the distance listening to them.  The changes in their vocals as they would sing through the songs was pure and I could easily hear the changes in pitch, etc. 

I think for anyone who has the HifiMAN headphones, it would be worth considering moving over to a balanced cable and speaker taps.  The price is actually quite cheap, and will not cost an arm and a leg.  I was able to get a pair of Neutrik 4-Pin XLR connectors (Male / Female) for $12.99 - delivered.  Also, the Canare star quad cable runs only about $.51 cents per linear foot + shipping from various on-line vendors.  Finally, a new set of golden headphone connectors runs $10.## + shipping and they claim that their version is easier to work with than the connectors that are sold and provided by HifiMAN.  Clearly, this isn't snake oil that I'm trying to sell people on.  Doing the speaker taps, extension cable with the XLR connectors at each end, etc., woud ony be about $60.00 in materials.  In my case, it was a bit less because I used my cable from my HE-5LEs, which had the HifiMAN golden headphone connectors in place, as well as the XLR connector at the end of the cable.  However, in time, I'll build my own dedicated cable for the HE-400s so I don't have to keep doing the cable swaps.

I've also been running my HE-5LEs this weekend with the balanced mode cables.  In that configuration, my 5LEs produced less bass than the 400s, but still a pleasing amount.  However, the vocals were even more accurate and responsive.  Now, I can only imagine what it must sound like to have the HE-6 with a balanced connection and milking that details and "liveness" for all one can.  But, one must also consider if it's worth spending 120% more money for a 15% improvement in sound?

When I got into this hobby some years back with my Grado SR-60s (5 or 6 years back) or even my Radio Shack (made by Koss) closed headphones about 32 years back or the Yamahas 28 years back, I never thought I'd be able to ever achieve this level of sound quality from headphones.  Call me impressed.  Greatly impressed.

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #1,100 of 6,017

Quote:
I would expect one should have a balanced setup all together or at least a balanced amp (output) in order to fully benefit from the balanced cable / connection. That means (in the case of HE-6) there's only two or three amps on the market today, that will be of interest: RSA Dark Star, Audio-gd Master-6 and Little Dot MkVI+. Well, and then the very, very rare speaker amps with balanced speaker output.

Aren't most speaker amps balanced? You just need an adapter to be able to use the amp with the headphones most of the time.

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #1,101 of 6,017

Quote:

Yes, that may be entirely possibly possible - and, I could see where it would be justified for an owner of the HE-6 headphones.  However, what my write-up focuses on is essentially using the process of balanced cables, for an approximate cost of $60, if someone isn't afraid of a soldering iron.  In the situation I've described, it's a small investment - yet, it allows a user to take the purity of the HE-400s to another level. 

Not all of us have the ability to put $1,300 into a pair of HE-6 headphones and $2,000+ into an amplifier.  That could be a whole completely different discussion on its own.  But, for someone with the HE-400s, I think that building out the Canare cables into a balanced mode, might still be quite a bit cheaper than purchsing a new set of silver-wire cables with a TRS connector for $200.  My solution is only about $60.00.

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #1,102 of 6,017
Aren't most speaker amps balanced? You just need an adapter to be able to use the amp with the headphones most of the time.

The vast majority of amps with balanced input hasn't balanced signal (both fase and inverted) in the power amp section, only in the line level circuits.

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #1,103 of 6,017
Yes, that may be entirely possibly possible - and, I could see where it would be justified for an owner of the HE-6 headphones.  However, what my write-up focuses on is essentially using the process of balanced cables, for an approximate cost of $60, if someone isn't afraid of a soldering iron.  In the situation I've described, it's a small investment - yet, it allows a user to take the purity of the HE-400s to another level. 

Not all of us have the ability to put $1,300 into a pair of HE-6 headphones and $2,000+ into an amplifier.  That could be a whole completely different discussion on its own.  But, for someone with the HE-400s, I think that building out the Canare cables into a balanced mode, might still be quite a bit cheaper than purchsing a new set of silver-wire cables with a TRS connector for $200.  My solution is only about $60.00.

Master-6 is $1450 and Little Dot MkVI+ is about $700 IIRC.
Anyway, I get your point, and for rock/pop/dance etc. the 400 is incredibly good.

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #1,105 of 6,017
Got the travel case and velour earpads yesterday, the travel case is solid but flexible, very well made. The velour ear pads are firm but comfortable, about as firm as the modded pleather pads (2x foam spacer rings) and much firmer than the velour pads from my old 595 senns.

Still I think these pads may be my favourite so far, but I will probably still swap between them on occasion before I settle on a final configuration.

Next up is tweaking the headband some more, I want to add some more padding. Any suggestions for this? Also what is the best way to remove a cup so I can bend the headband a bit tighter?

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #1,106 of 6,017
Quote:
Next up is tweaking the headband some more, I want to add some more padding. Any suggestions for this?

I fellow head-fi'er with a HE-500 uses a HD650 replacement headband pad and says it is very comfortable.

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #1,107 of 6,017
Mar 27, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #1,108 of 6,017
Mar 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #1,109 of 6,017

Quote:

Next up is tweaking the headband some more, I want to add some more padding. Any suggestions for this? Also what is the best way to remove a cup so I can bend the headband a bit tighter?

For my HE-500 I use a Seat Belt Shoulder Pad that I found in Big Lots for $2.00.  Not the prettiest thing in the world but it makes the HE-500 a lot more comfortable, and for $2.00 I can not complaint to much. 

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #1,110 of 6,017
I use the headband foam from a HD650

55ca1586-1349-b153.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back