New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Oct 4, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #4,531 of 6,017
Quote:
All songs basically. It is not as bothersome really, just that I thought the D5ks are supposed to be more sibilant than the He 400, but my HE 400s have more sibilance. I think my O2 might be adding to the sibilance. The E17 is much better, and with the e17 the Denona have more sibilance. Weird. Maybe I am just imagining things.
I have the rev 2s though, the drivers are white.

I see; then you are just sensitive to the emphasized upper treble present in all HE400 versions, rather than the specific "rev3 brightness" (which adds onto that).

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #4,533 of 6,017
What exactly is sibilance? From what i could read on wikipedia it's some sort of high pitched sound resulting from the articulation of words like sipzipshipchip, and Jeep? But unsure how it relates to what you guys are hearing.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #4,534 of 6,017
It is exactly that, an over-emphasis on th or sh of fh sounds, usually a result caused by ringing or excessive treble.  There's sibilance in real life speech though, some people have it.

In the world of audio reproduction though, the speakers, recording or mastering could all equally be at fault.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #4,535 of 6,017
Quote:
It is exactly that, an over-emphasis on th or sh of fh sounds, usually a result caused by ringing or excessive treble.  There's sibilance in real life speech though, some people have it.

In the world of audio reproduction though, the speakers, recording or mastering could all equally be at fault.

Thanks for clearing that up. So the HE-400's rev 3 have sibilance? Is this something really apparent, or do you need to be a skilled listener to notice it?

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #4,536 of 6,017
Quote:
Is the O2 connected to the ODAC?  What is powering your ODAC?  There have been reports of the ODAC sounding sibilant and harsh out of a usb port that isn't giving it enough juice.

Its the O2+ODAC combo, and it is connected to the standard USB 2.0 port on the back of my motherboard.

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #4,539 of 6,017
Think of it as frequency response over time.  While it's not necessarily that, it's a valid tool for showing ringing or other resonances in a headphone, that a simple frequency response chart wont' show.  It's a more accurate depiction of a headphone's true sound signature in that regard.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #4,541 of 6,017
Jerg, thanks for the chart. Mind a quick introduction to how to read it? Also, is there one for the earlier revisions around for comparison?

I'm pretty bummed about all the negative attention the HE-400's getting. I was pretty sure it was going to be my next headphone, but now i'm not so sure. Then again, i have no idea if i'll hear what everyone else is hearing.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #4,542 of 6,017
Quote:
OK so in theory a better result would be if the time spread was lower?

Why is there a 2kHz mountain?! Is that like a kind of resonance or something? And a 500-1k ridge?

500-1k ridge is natural, all headphones have that, to a varying degree. Although admittedly the HE400 500-1k are a bit problematic, as there is indeed some ringing in the 1k region of HE400s that can be heard just from some sinewave sweeps.

The 2kHz sharp ridge is a benign measurement artifact that is present in a lot of large diaphragm planar magnetic headphones and is seemingly undetectable by our hearing.

Quote:
Jerg, thanks for the chart. Mind a quick introduction to how to read it? Also, is there one for the earlier revisions around for comparison?

I'm pretty bummed about all the negative attention the HE-400's getting. I was pretty sure it was going to be my next headphone, but now i'm not so sure. Then again, i have no idea if i'll hear what everyone else is hearing.

CSD is basically a more sophisticated frequency response curve, that also has a time axis. You can see how fast the transient response is via seeing how quick the signal decays; usually at and under 0.5 ms is great. You can also see ringing via distinctive sharp ridges that drag across the time axis, some are benign, others actually mess up the sound. Also you can distinguish if sharp drops in frequency response are benign or actual valleys.

This measurement was a rev2 HE400 with velour pads.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #4,543 of 6,017
Quote:
CSD is basically a more sophisticated frequency response curve, that also has a time axis. You can see how fast the transient response is via seeing how quick the signal decays; usually at and under 0.5 ms is great. You can also see ringing via distinctive sharp ridges that drag across the time axis, some are benign, others actually mess up the sound. Also you can distinguish if sharp drops in frequency response are benign or actual valleys.

This measurement was a rev2 HE400 with velour pads.

Awesome stuff! Having heard the rev3, can you theorize about how the rev3 frequency response looks?

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #4,544 of 6,017
Quote:

Awesome stuff! Having heard the rev3, can you theorize about how the rev3 frequency response looks?

Relative to the rev2 CSD plot: probably a broadband increase of ~3 dB between 5kHz and 20kHz, with some minor ringing around 11kHz.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #4,545 of 6,017
Quote:

Relative to the rev2 CSD plot: probably a broadband increase of ~3 dB between 5kHz and 20kHz, with some minor ringing around 11kHz.

Pro info, Jerg. How bad is the ringing? I'm having such a hard time figuring out how HifiMan QA gave the new drivers a GO if it's as bad as it's made out to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back