New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Jul 26, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #2,521 of 6,017
I once had the lcd2 r2 as my end game hp. I gave up on that dream before I ever owned it. Too many people that I trust told me that the bass is not as good as people make it out to be. It is certainly beyond what I would call reasonably comfortable based on the specs. 

Ultimately I think that the he400 goes toe to toe with the lcd2 for a lot less money. 
ph34r.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #2,523 of 6,017
Quote:
I once had the lcd2 r2 as my end game hp. I gave up on that dream before I ever owned it. Too many people that I trust told me that the bass is not as good as people make it out to be. It is certainly beyond what I would call reasonably comfortable based on the specs. 

Ultimately I think that the he400 goes toe to toe with the lcd2 for a lot less money. 
ph34r.gif

I can see that too.  Head-fi's full of hyperbole and at times it's a disease.  Luckily cablecompany will allow us to try them out for 50 dollars.  That's exactly what I will do.  HE-400 vs LCD-2 with the objectively perfect O2 amping them, oh hell ya.

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #2,524 of 6,017
Quote:

I can see that too.  Head-fi's full of hyperbole and at times it's a disease.  Luckily cablecompany will allow us to try them out for 50 dollars.  That's exactly what I will do.  HE-400 vs LCD-2 with the objectively perfect O2 amping them, oh hell ya.

I go for that. Send them to me after you're done and I'll split it with you. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #2,525 of 6,017
Quote:

My Bifrost did indeed only have the optical and coaxial input. A nice young man from GA Tech bought it from me and got a great dac!! I made comments a page or so back about the difference...no I'm not going to quote myself here. Although I find it funny that sometimes I'll google for the answer to a computer question and I find myself in the results. Sometimes I even answer myself. 
blink.gif

The bifrost is a much better dac than the BF IMO.

OK, I can understand how you might use Google to look for your answers - then find some of your posts about a year earlier.  It's awfully hard to remember all that information with so much hitting all at once.  However, if you *post* the wrong information, then your posted references are essentially no good.  I think you mean "FB" as in "NFB" an not "BF", correct?  
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #2,526 of 6,017
Quote:

I go for that. Send them to me after you're done and I'll split it with you. 
beerchug.gif

The only troubling thing is I think the rental time is 1-2 weeks?  I'd have to check again.  Hopefully whatever box the LCD-2 comes in fits inside a medium flat rate box, which would be 10 dollar shipping for like a 3 day delivery.

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #2,531 of 6,017
Quote:
Fiio e17 gives you amp and dac for $139 shipped. Really drives the he400 pretty darn well...

gL!!

I wish I had tried the E17 with a better source than the iPod when I had it.  It took me plenty of iterations to realize that the iPod was not a good source for me.  Even with the LOD cable, you still don't bypass the DAC in the iPOD, thanks to Apple's "lock down" policy.  I wonder how many people are using mega-buck DACs with an iPOD and don't realize that their DAC is essentially not doing a thing for them?  Hmm ...

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2,532 of 6,017
Quote:
Quote:
Fiio e17 gives you amp and dac for $139 shipped. Really drives the he400 pretty darn well...

gL!!

I wish I had tried the E17 with a better source than the iPod when I had it.  It took me plenty of iterations to realize that the iPod was not a good source for me.  Even with the LOD cable, you still don't bypass the DAC in the iPOD, thanks to Apple's "lock down" policy.  I wonder how many people are using mega-buck DACs with an iPOD and don't realize that their DAC is essentially not doing a thing for them?  Hmm ...

This Saturday DC meet, you can try again, will bring along both of them E17 HE400,
[size=medium][size=11pt][size=11pt]looking  forward for your feedback on this combo[/size][/size][/size]

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #2,533 of 6,017
Just got home from work, and I couldn't wait to put them on. I have NEVER had the urge to rush home just to put on my headphones. Not even the D7000.

That's saying something.

I have become absolutely enamored with the HE400. I REALLY never expected to fall in love with them like this. I was a real big skeptic. Now... I'm an absolute fanboy. I won't deny it.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #2,534 of 6,017
Quote:
This Saturday DC meet, you can try again, will bring along both of them E17 HE400,
[size=medium][size=11pt][size=11pt]looking  forward for your feedback on this combo[/size][/size][/size]

Sounds good.  I'll have my laptop with loads of songs.  Also, you can try the Audio-GD.  Unfortunately, just the NFB-12, though.  The other Audio-GD, the "FUN" model, doesn't arrive until Monday.  I'll have my pimpin' Sennheiser HD-428 headphones along.   With the mods, they have bass that is crazy-sick and along the lines of the HE-400s < ooops, maybe I shouldn't have said that in this particular thread >.  I'm just pushing those with my iPod Classic and no amp.  Amps don't pair well with them, but with the iPod, it's a marriage made in < fill in the blank >.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #2,535 of 6,017
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDtQXrbAajo&feature=relmfu[/VIDEO]

The vocals on this... AMAZINGLY intimate with the HE400. The thump is like hauntingly realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back