New here, looking for headphone advice.
Feb 20, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #31 of 44

That's why I said,

Also one reason why I brought it up now is the concern about leaving it in the office (initially I thought you'd bring it home daily, like if you had a large enough bike messenger bag or backpack for daily use). This is something you can leave there and not really cry if someone takes it, but unlike the 681, it's closed back.

I have a profile for the HD330 on my work computer (using an Ibasso D-Zero as a DAC) on Equalizer APO, but it's tuned to flatten out the upper bass peaks. If you want to trim the treble and get some more low bass, do these:
20hz - +2dB
25hz - +2dB
31.5hz - +2dB
2500hz - -3dB
4000hz - -4dB
5000hz - -4dB
6300hz - -6dB
8000hz - -4dB
10000hz - -4dB

Personally I would never decrease the mids on a headphone, even a mid centric king like the w5000 doesn't need that

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #32 of 44
  Personally I would never decrease the mids on a headphone, even a mid centric king like the w5000 doesn't need that

Equalization needs to be pegged at 1000hz, roughly. And a peak like this centered at around 2500hz has the headphone getting really shouty even if you compensate with a very low bass boost so as not to need boosting the volume up that high, because even if you bring up the lowest end of the range closer to 1000hz, at 2500hz you're still 5dB louder than 1000hz.

At the same time my low bass boost is more to make that wide mountain range flatter because as much as cutting has less distortion than boosting, that area has a complex enough shape with that crevasse at around 80hz. So a gentler cut at the surrounding peaks plus a bit of boost to the low low bass so there's less auditory masking of the low bass by the upper bass helps bring up the low end a bit for the tone of bass instruents.

That said, I obviously didn't do a full -5dB at 2500hz and -3dB at 2000hz yes, because it's easy to over do it in the midrange, but not touching a peak like that at all still leaves me with a headphone with fatiguing vocals. Not exactly what I'd use for longer periods working on my desk otherwise, even if I only crank it up for one or two tracks per album.

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #33 of 44

Equalization needs to be pegged at 1000hz, roughly. And a peak like this centered at around 2500hz has the headphone getting really shouty even if you compensate with a very low bass boost so as not to need boosting the volume up that high, because even if you bring up the lowest end of the range closer to 1000hz, at 2500hz you're still 5dB louder than 1000hz.

At the same time my low bass boost is more to make that wide mountain range flatter because as much as cutting has less distortion than boosting, that area has a complex enough shape with that crevasse at around 80hz. So a gentler cut at the surrounding peaks plus a bit of boost to the low low bass so there's less auditory masking of the low bass by the upper bass helps bring up the low end a bit for the tone of bass instruents.

That said, I obviously didn't do a full -5dB at 2500hz and -3dB at 2000hz yes, because it's easy to over do it in the midrange, but not touching a peak like that at all still leaves me with a headphone with fatiguing vocals. Not exactly what I'd use for longer periods working on my desk otherwise, even if I only crank it up for one or two tracks per album.

I DUNU, maybe I like shouty sounding headphones lol, I love soundstage but I need my forward mids. Personally I would have cut the mid bass and treble while increasing the 1khz area a bit. But of course I have my own bias and I prefer a flat sound with a slight 2khz bump

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #34 of 44
  I DUNU, maybe I like shouty sounding headphones lol, I love soundstage but I need my forward mids. Personally I would have cut the mid bass and treble while increasing the 1khz area a bit. But of course I have my own bias and I prefer a flat sound with a slight 2khz bump

That has a tendency to push the vocals forward, like what Grados sound like, except these don't have any depth whereas something like the K702 and HD800 would have the vocals popping out against the background by having imaging capabilities that push the other instruments back farther outside the head rather than boost and push the midrange forward deeper into your skull.

Not that the HD330/660 actually has any imaging depth, but increase the volume and that 2500hz peak can sound like someone is shouting into my ears. I can avoid that by using a lower volume setting, but then the lows aren't audible enough even with low bass boost, so basically everything above 1000hz needs to be as flat as possible.

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #35 of 44
  the b&o h6 seems to match everything you want, however they might not be over ear if your ears are not small. Otherwise the 598cs is a solid option that is pretty cheap these days and will be more comfortable if you want long term listening 

I'm reading now (in other threads) that the 598Cs have rather forward upper mids, which is something I desperately want to avoid.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #38 of 44
Okay, I was going to suggest the little Sennheiser PX 100-II. Even though it's open back, it's size means the sound leakage is fairly unobtrusive. Nothing close to the SPH9500 (obv). Going by what you said you like, I think you would really enjoy it. I think it's one of the best headphone bargains out there, the reviews seem to back this up. It's very musical and fun, with lovely smooth mids and lots of detail up top without even getting close to bright. Bass is deep. One of the more experienced member on HF described it as a "baby HD650", and i can actually see (hear) what he means.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #40 of 44
  Okay, I was going to suggest the little Sennheiser PX 100-II. Even though it's open back, it's size means the sound leakage is fairly unobtrusive. Nothing close to the SPH9500 (obv). Going by what you said you like, I think you would really enjoy it. I think it's one of the best headphone bargains out there, the reviews seem to back this up. It's very musical and fun, with lovely smooth mids and lots of detail up top without even getting close to bright. Bass is deep. One of the more experienced member on HF described it as a "baby HD650", and i can actually see (hear) what he means.

I'll investigate these! Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back