New headset for competitive fps!?!?
Jun 21, 2020 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ic3m4n2005

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

my situation developed like this, a long time ago (probably 15 to 20 years) i bought an Audio Technica A900 for gaming (cs 1.6 and 1st person shooters in general) since i didn't like the overpriced gaming headsets that constantly broke and wanted to hear music as well. For a microphone a hung a monoear mic around my neck just for the mic. Everything worked perfectly and the A900 got a lot of use. Jumping to today, i've not played for about 10 years but got the bug again :)
I've bought a Meze Empyrean a few months ago and i love it for music and for the comfort (sits like a cloud on your head :darthsmile: ) but pinpointing positions of players did not seem perfect so i got my old A900 und found it little bit better. I don't know if it's the different connection (A900 on Soundblaster ZXR and Empy on Topping DX7 Pro) or just plain placebo. Furthermore is the A900 not that comfortable to me anymore (earpads are the first ones and are flat so it presses on my ear a little) and the Empyrean is, like i said, really really comfortable.
Another problem is that i use a umik-1 i stole from my avr on its mini tripod....it works but i knocked it over twice already :rolling_eyes:

So in my opinion i need a headset which is very comfortable and has the same or better, if that is even possible, accuracy in locating players in fps.
A good microphone should be attached as well. Open or closed back is second to these features, but i would prefer closed if thats possible. With the more expensive ones it would be nice to have removable cables (accidents happen :wink: )

I'm looking forward to your take on this...

Jun 21, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 9
Audio Technica ATH-AD700(X) and a Modmic.
Maybe Sennheiser HD598 and Modmic.

Me, I would run optical connection, from the SB-ZxR, to the DX7 Pro and plug all headphones into the DX7 Pro.
Plug Mic into SB-ZxR.
Maybe disable onboard audio, in the BIOS (but not a big deal).

Jun 21, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 9
Hmm connecting the ZXR to the Topping is a nice idea, problem with the Empyrean is i will not attach a mod mic to a 3k€ headphone and the A900 is still not comfortable for me...
As for your headphone/mic suggestions, would a ATH-AG1X (or the open back version) not nearly be the same as AD700(X) plus modmic?
Never had a sennheiser but heard it (the 598) recommended quite a few times already...
Generally i would prefer a headset solution to a headphone/modmic one, if its widely known as inferior then i would of cause go the better route.

P.S. onboard audio is disabled, because ZXR :wink:

Jun 21, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 9
Hmm connecting the ZXR to the Topping is a nice idea, problem with the Empyrean is i will not attach a mod mic to a 3k€ headphone and the A900 is still not comfortable for me... As for your headphone/mic suggestions, would a ATH-AG1X (or the open back version) not nearly be the same as AD700(X) plus modmic?
Never had a sennheiser but heard it (the 598) recommended quite a few times already...
Generally i would prefer a headset solution to a headphone/modmic one, if its widely known as inferior then i would of cause go the better route.

P.S. onboard audio is disabled, because ZXR :wink:
I'm guessing the Audio Technica ATH-AG1X is something I would go for, if I needed a headset.
The Audio Technica A900X headphones was my preferred headphone, for PC use, for a few years (many years ago).

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 9
AKG 872’s awesome for gaming.

Jun 22, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 9
Jun 23, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 9
Jun 23, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 9
i've not tried the Empyrean's yet for gaming. I just got the meze this weekend and i'm not as in love with them as everyone else. That sound stage (which is what you are looking for) is smaller than the HD800s. The downside of the HD800s (ie, the brightness) doesn't bug me in gaming. But there is no reason the meze wouldn't be amazing. You will hear everything!
That said, i play less with others online these days (So much hate) so i don't need a headset/mic - and if i'm playing solo i try to play on the TV. 77" OLED + dog + 2080ti SLI + 7.2 surround + HRD + Gysnc. (well.. unless it is a FPS.. then.. i can't hit anything with a controller :) )
I've been enjoying the last of us part 2, even with the 30fps and low rez. :frowning2:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/zurv/
summer sale next week! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back