New! HeadRoom Desktop Balanced Amp!
Jun 8, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #301 of 304
KenW,

Interesting comment on your Stello, thats what I found out, the Headroom Balanced Desktop Package really performs at a level way beyond what I expected to. When you throw in the price point, connection options and the small footprint this has to be the "go to" rig for balanced headphone listening. There are other options and I'm sure they are great, but I'd say the price performance of the Headroom Balanced Desktop is unique.

My only other tweak is to try some upgraded balanced cables to see if that improves things further, this rig has cured me of my upgradeitis afflication.

I would also recommend for anyone using a PC source (Foobar & ASIO4ALL) via USB to set ASIO4ALL and Foobar at 48K resampling... this manages to lift the performance of the USB PC as source up a few notches.

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #302 of 304
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkoulban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KenW,

Interesting comment on your Stello, thats what I found out, the Headroom Balanced Desktop Package really performs at a level way beyond what I expected to. When you throw in the price point, connection options and the small footprint this has to be the "go to" rig for balanced headphone listening. There are other options and I'm sure they are great, but I'd say the price performance of the Headroom Balanced Desktop is unique.

My only other tweak is to try some upgraded balanced cables to see if that improves things further, this rig has cured me of my upgradeitis afflication.

I would also recommend for anyone using a PC source (Foobar & ASIO4ALL) via USB to set ASIO4ALL and Foobar at 48K resampling... this manages to lift the performance of the USB PC as source up a few notches.

Maybe I will get this after all over the Rudi X33.. I already have the balanced DAC part down..

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #303 of 304
i think the desktop is a better buy than the nx-33, mostly or almost entirely due to the poor exchange rate. i may pick one up myself. getting tired of using my balanced phones out of my mini dac. but i would still use the mini dac as my source instead of getting the home dac.

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #304 of 304
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can guaranty you that we're working on our gear to become more speaker inclusive. We did talk about outputs instead of inputs on it breifly as an alternative idea, but we really can't make gear with too many options. My guess is that the split is 50/50 on whether folks would like ins or outs. But we're very aware and interested in your comments, and those of others. Keep 'em comming.

Been doing preliminary listening to my new Headroom + AKG K701 balanced, and the equipment is settling in nicely so far, and I'm really pleased so far!

Here's my take on why I prefer outputs to inputs on the Balanced amp.

When you go balanced, there's no going back. The balanced output DAC in the Headroom Balanced is so good, I have nothing else to plug in to this amp that would come close, except another balanced output DAC - which I don't need to do, because the in-built DAC is already balanced!

You can leave the unbalanced inputs on there for those folks who really need them, eg. turntables.

By swapping the balanced connectors on the back for outputs instead of inputs, you give us more freedom, since balanced outputs can also be used as unbalanced outputs, via a dongle.

Just something to consider when designing the next one.

- Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back