New headphones. Help Needed!
Apr 21, 2011 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

kenken

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair of closed headphones around 100-200 dollars. 
Noise cancelling would be helpful but not needed. I am looking for very good sound for the price. I will be using these for bus and airplane trips but also every day doing homework. Looking for good balance and accurate and good highs and lows. A good balanced bass would be nice too. I listen to a lot of pop, r&b and hiphop. I currently own the sony mdr v-6 and am looking for am upgrade. 
Some headphones I have looked at and have heard about are
audio technica ath- m50
audio technica ath-anc7B
JVC Hanc250
Bose quietcomfort 15
Sennheiser (no specific model yet)
Can anyone compare these or recommend others. Please help me find some good sounding headphones with decent isolation/ noise cancellation. Willing to go a bit outside my price range as well.
Thank you!

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 23
ATH-M50 FOTM (flavor of the millennium) hype train ahoy!

Now that that is out of the way, in your list OP those are by far the best. There is a reason why these are over-hyped - most noobs who come here asking for $100~$200 cans walk away with M50s and are satisfied for a looong while before they even think about upgrading further.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 23
Head-fi should be renamed M50-fi. -rolls eyes- To the OP, do you have somewhere where they might stock production equipment, like guitar center if you're in America?. Hearing for yourself is usually the best way since everybody is different. I personally can't stand M50s anymore.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 23
yes, m50s seem to suit all your needs

your basically like describing its sound sig :wink:

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 23

your basically like describing its sound sig :wink:

I don't remember seeing thin deficient midrange with a midbass bloat anywhere, could be mistaken though. Lol.

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 23

Quote:
Quote:

your basically like describing its sound sig
wink.gif

I don't remember seeing thin deficient midrange with a midbass bloat anywhere, could be mistaken though. Lol.

:DD oh yea, forgot about that

oh well, the OP didn't really mention midrange so.. :D

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 23
midrange would b nice either
but if the m50 arent the best then do you guys have any recommenations as to what headphones have the best sound quality that 200 dollars can buy?

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 23
In my opinion, the Shure SRH840. They're very accurate, balanced, easy to drive and for most people, very comfortable.

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #10 of 23

Wow you guys are unbelieveable. M50 M50 M50 M50....M50 is NOT always the best headphone in the $100-200 range so can you guys stop recommending it? I'm 90% sure the people who recommends the M50 only heard the M50 before and some crappy headphone, which makes them think M50 is the best. 
Quote:
I am looking for a pair of closed headphones around 100-200 dollars. 
Noise cancelling would be helpful but not needed. I am looking for very good sound for the price. I will be using these for bus and airplane trips but also every day doing homework. Looking for good balance and accurate and good highs and lows. A good balanced bass would be nice too. I listen to a lot of pop, r&b and hiphop. I currently own the sony mdr v-6 and am looking for am upgrade. 
Some headphones I have looked at and have heard about are
audio technica ath- m50
audio technica ath-anc7B
JVC Hanc250
Bose quietcomfort 15
Sennheiser (no specific model yet)
Can anyone compare these or recommend others. Please help me find some good sounding headphones with decent isolation/ noise cancellation. Willing to go a bit outside my price range as well.
Thank you!

According to your music preference, it seems like mids will be important. M50 does not sound that great with your genre of music because of the slight V-shaped sound signature(I have the M50 so don't ask). 

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
Wow you guys are unbelieveable. M50 M50 M50 M50....M50 is NOT always the best headphone in the $100-200 range so can you guys stop recommending it? I'm 90% sure the people who recommends the M50 only heard the M50 before and some crappy headphone, which makes them think M50 is the best. 
According to your music preference, it seems like mids will be important. M50 does not sound that great with your genre of music because of the slight V-shaped sound signature(I have the M50 so don't ask). 

Bass is equally as important especially for R&B and Rap genres; also M50's slight upper-mids recess is minuscule and can be easily negated with some precise parametric equalizing (see the big "headphone equalizing" thread), what it DOES have is great treble and even better bass for that price-range. Few can beat its bass in terms of raw amount, depth, and clarity as a whole.

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 23
If you ask me, pop, r&b and hiphop scream for a bit of a smile curve.  M50 might not provide the adequate amount of punch a lot of pop and hiphop sometimes ask for, but it still has a full-bodied bass that extends real low.

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #13 of 23
I give up. I can't believe how overrated those hollow sounding M50s have become since i left.

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
I give up. I can't believe how overrated those hollow sounding M50s have become since i left.

If "hollow sounding" is an appropriate adjective for describing M50's mids, there would be some wild obscenities flying around describing itty-bitty flaws of most budget headphones here at head-fi. Exaggerations, exaggerations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back