New headphones for electronic music
Oct 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Poak

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a new pair of IEM that will be used mostly for electronic music. I listen to anything electronic (ie: Drum and bass, progressive house, trance, chillstep, dubstep, glitch hop). I particularly enjoy melodic/chill songs.

My current headphones are TF10's from UE, I had them for a few years and I still love them. They are excellent headphones for electronic music, but I'm looking for a change.

What I'm looking for:
- Price range: 100-300$ (Flexible)
- Electronic music oriented
- Decent bass but I'm not a basshead and I don't want the bass to be so loud it prevents me from hearing details
- Detailed treble
- Durable 

Thanks for the help!

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 14
i was going to say tf10 for what you like but becuase you already have them, i would say the W3 would be a good choice. the w4r is at a good price right now. but not too sure it would fit your liking.

what is your other equipment you have? dap/amp ect

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 14
asg2 is too expensive, $450 to $600 depending on the housing. but would be perfect for you from what you are describing. ie80 can be found for under $300 genuine if you look around. westone 3 is also a great option. both are very sensitive iems so you don't have to turn them up loud. w3 isolates better. can probably be found for $220-255 depending on site. tf10 is a BA driver, w3 is as well. if you like the sound of the BA iems, maybe stick with them? the ie80 is dynamic, but has a huge soundstage and excellent bass response.

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 14
  asg2 is too expensive, $450 to $600 depending on the housing. but would be perfect for you from what you are describing. ie80 can be found for under $300 genuine if you look around. westone 3 is also a great option. both are very sensitive iems so you don't have to turn them up loud. w3 isolates better. can probably be found for $220-255 depending on site. tf10 is a BA driver, w3 is as well. if you like the sound of the BA iems, maybe stick with them? the ie80 is dynamic, but has a huge soundstage and excellent bass response.

the ASG-2 looks awesome, but I can't find a lot of infos about it online. If I can find a pair for 450$ I might be interested. When you say "depending on the housing", what do you mean?

both the w3 and ie80 look like good, cheaper alternatives too. I'll consider, thanks for the suggestions.

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 14
I have and use the Shure SE315s - they are a single armature driver with a good emphasis on the mids. I only really listen to House, Trance, French Touch, Nu Disco, and your typical Electronic pop music. (Sirius xm bpm ) 

I feel like the 315s are kinda underrated here. I really like them just because all the sounds are so present and clear. I find them slightly lacking in bass and the tip top highs when un-eqed but even with just the slightest amount of equalizer (my sansa clip+) they come alive. Isolation is crazy good. 

The bass has pretty good extension, you can feel and hear those real lows clearly without any loss. Mid-bass are very authoritative and present. 

Highs are there, Very clear and open - They really shine with the sparkle effects you might experience in songs like Within by Daftpunk. 

Mids are the interesting thing... For me at least... Before I decided to upgrade headphones I normally tuned down the mids and ignored them... I did the typical EQ V where all I did was mind treble and bass ignoring and shunning mids because I personally did not like the sound from most headphones.   The 315s is a different story - many people told me that the 315s put an emphasis on the mids and they were right. I was nervous about that but when you apply just that little bit of EQ its simply amazing especially with FLAC and lossless files. The entire spectrum feels more complete and female voices you often experience in electronic music are far more refined and full. 

I feel like the 315s have refined my tastes in sound too where previously I would go full bass and treble.   

But Ill be honest. Ive tried only a few IEMs and just recently got to try lots of headphones... I favor the 315s in most occasions. I have some lovely sony monitors from the 80s aswell as a pair of Senn HD420s (600ohms) that are awesome too but the completeness and size of the 315s are perfect for me. When I was looking to buy these I had the choice of these or the TF10s from a guy on craigslist. But I decided to get the 315s at a retail store. 

Id get the clear personally - I like seeing the armature (its rather big too). Although jet black looks cute. Also the build quality is amazing - and I got mine from guitar center with their 2 year insurance (was only $20 more) where i can get a new pair under almost any circumstances.  

From what I understand they have great sensitivity too. 

--- edit
They make my ears itch after awhile of use. But Ive had that problem with any IEM.. :/  Also the tips can be strange... The silicone ones create weird pressure differences in your ears if you move - distorting the sound. Once I let my brother try and the wax in his ears clogged the high frequency filter in the nozzle and sound was completely gone from them... Scared the hell outta me... Soaked the nozzle in alcohol- that fixed them.. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 14
Dunu DN-1000. Hybrid  dynamic + dual B.A. Excellent, deep controlled bass. Great detail in mids and highs. Easy to drive, even withsomething as meager as a Sansa Clip Zip. Plenty of reviews on this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back