New Headphone Stand
Jan 3, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #256 of 546
I ended up just splurging on the Woo Audio stands. They look professional and I could probably kill someone with a blow to the head, so it's also kind of like buying protection for the home... Much in the way the guy using the katana can justify both uses!

The $75 T-stand is probably the most I'd spend on a headphone stand. Kind of a shame that the Stax and Audio-Technica stands are so expensive given the cost of parts-- not to mention the very expensive, but incredibly sexy, JVC DX1000 stand.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #257 of 546
Just a follow-up for those concerned about dents or creases in your headband using the hose hook as a stand.  I purposely left my ATH-50s on the stand for several days to see if it would cause permanent damage to the headband.  When I took them off the stand I did observe indentures in the headband where it made contact with the metal.  However, the indentures went away after a very short time and have completely disappeared.  So while I'm not exactly sure what headbands (material) will be affected with permanent dents, I will say that if your headband is made from the same material as the ATH-M50s, which is sort of a synthetic type leather, then it should be fine to hang your cans without fear of permanent indentures or ruining the functionality of your headband. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #258 of 546
Creases and dents are going to be more of a concern when the phones are heavy or have a multi-piece headband with leather suspension strap (AKGs, for example).

I've got a pair of old K240s that were clearly hung on a post or doorknob by a previous owner; they're not creased, but they're permanently shaped with a rounded peak in the middle, instead of a consistent bend from earpiece to earpiece.

When storing my phones, I hang them by the metal or hard plastic outer band if they have two-piece bands. If they have one-piece bands with cushioned undersides (like most Sennheisers), I just move them every so often so they don't stay resting on the same patch of cushion.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #259 of 546
My Denons were significantly creased, but it went away. Now I don't take the chance. I've wrapped an old scarf around. Also, it can barely fit two headphones, my Denons and Sennheisers. The Sennheisers are very slightly tilted, just because I'm careful, but the friction from the scarf keeps it from moving. All in all, very worthy of my twenty dollars. I may just buy another one.

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #260 of 546
Was looking for these today at Home Depot and couldn't find them in the garage/storage hook area. Gonna try Lowes tomorrow then order online if I have too. Anyone find any other interesting alternatives?

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #261 of 546

Quote:
Was looking for these today at Home Depot and couldn't find them in the garage/storage hook area. Gonna try Lowes tomorrow then order online if I have too. Anyone find any other interesting alternatives?

If you are talking about the Rubbermaid hook I couldn't find it either so I cam back with a printout of it and showed it to someone.  They had about 10 of them at the back of the rubbermaid isles not in the isle.  I got 3.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #262 of 546

Quote:
Quote:

If you are talking about the Rubbermaid hook I couldn't find it either so I cam back with a printout of it and showed it to someone.  They had about 10 of them at the back of the rubbermaid isles not in the isle.  I got 3.

I picked one up at the Lowes here last week.  They had a bunch of them.  Just asked for "garage storage" and bam, they were right there.  I like it a lot.

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #263 of 546
Quote:
I ended up just splurging on the Woo Audio stands. They look professional and I could probably kill someone with a blow to the head, so it's also kind of like buying protection for the home... Much in the way the guy using the katana can justify both uses!

I just knew those stands had a second function, I just couldn't quite put a finger on it...

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #264 of 546
Hmm, I'll check out Lowes tomorrow and bring a print out along just in case then.

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #265 of 546
I actually just left to go to the store and pick up a pair, and just as I was walking up, they closed.

Sigh . . . Story of my life.

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #267 of 546
Cool idea for a budget headphone stand.
Just be careful if your headphone has a leather / fake leather headband.  That stand will cause pressure points and damage the leather over time.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #268 of 546
I picked up the stand tonight and did a bit of modding, Grado style, to my new stand.... I just knew that Grado pizza box foam would come in handy one day, and that day was today. I went crazy with a bread knife and carved some foam up to fit the metal clip and make a nice comfy rest for my JMoney headband. See the results below.

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #270 of 546

Quote:
I picked up the stand tonight and did a bit of modding, Grado style, to my new stand.... I just knew that Grado pizza box foam would come in handy one day, and that day was today. I went crazy with a bread knife and carved some foam up to fit the metal clip and make a nice comfy rest for my JMoney headband. See the results below.

Much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back