New Headphone Stand
Nov 29, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #123 of 546

Quote:

Quote:
This one on eBay looks nice (I think someone posted it earlier in this thread). Guess it was made for AKG headphones originally (label on the base which probably could be removed). On the pricey side, $38 shipped to the US. About 5.5 inches deep and 11" tall.

What's the fun of finding and buying real headphone stands, when you can look into gardening tools and find equally good stands? :p

True:)

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #124 of 546
Can this stand hold 2 headphones at the same time?  I have headphones with relatively slim headbands, i.e. D2000 and Edition 8.  The cups on the D2000 (modded wood cups) are fairly big, would they fit comfortably with the Ed. 8?

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #125 of 546

Quote:
Can this stand hold 2 headphones at the same time?  I have headphones with relatively slim headbands, i.e. D2000 and Edition 8.  The cups on the D2000 (modded wood cups) are fairly big, would they fit comfortably with the Ed. 8?

i doubt it, you'd need to add a bar of some sort across the top.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #126 of 546
No. Also the stand might become unstable even it they would fit. Just buy two.

Quote:

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #127 of 546

I wasn't happy with weight being put on the cord where it entered the strain relief, so at great effort and expense I created the White Pipe Mod.
  1. 2" white pipe joint: $0.99
  2. 1 cm wide rubber band wrapped around back end of pipe: Scrounged from office supplies
  3. Sheet of white closed-cell shipping foam: Possibly $2,000, if it was shipped to you using an SPL Phonitor as package ballast. Possibly more, if a Beyerdynamics T1 were also included. I happened to be lucky and have some around without buying any kit. But I'm just saying, this is the sort of expense it could take.
  4. Tape to hold shipping foam in place: Scrounged
The sheet of shipping foam was about 300 cm long, cut into two 50 cm strips, which is roughly the width of the gap between the front and back ends of the clampy-thingy.

One strip was rolled tightly into a cylinder and taped to keep it from uncoiling. Then it was placed in the clampy-thing, and the second sheet was wrapped around it and taped into place. Then the pipe joint was slid on. Since it's a joint, there's an internal ridge around the middle which will help keep it in place with friction alone.

For good measure, the rubber band was added around the circumference of the pipe. The pipe slopes slightly backwards, so the rubber band acts as a natural stop.

Result: Pretty fine. The headphones are elevated enough now, and the headband doesn't snag on the clampy-thingy any more.

I deem it a cheap and effective mod, totally reversable. Keep in mind that if you have to order the foam online and the shipper insists on packing it around some piece of ultra high-end electronics, well, I'm sorry for your wallet, but this is the price you have to pay to achieve the utmost refinement in headphone stand technology.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #128 of 546
Now thats a nice mod.  I personally didn't like the way the stock clamp dispersed load on the headband at all.  Carving 2 indentations into my headband doesn't work for me.

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #129 of 546
In a picture I posted a few pages back, I used a foam construction hat instead to elevate the headphones. A plus was that the foam doesn't indent the headband in any way. It was simple. I'm not a DIY kind of guy. :)

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #130 of 546

Quote:
In a picture I posted a few pages back, I used a foam construction hat instead to elevate the headphones. A plus was that the foam doesn't indent the headband in any way. It was simple. I'm not a DIY kind of guy. :)

Yeah, that didn't seem like a permanent solution.  
wink.gif
  I have a similar foamy hardhat but I didn't want to subject it to headphone-boarding.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #131 of 546
Made a thread for this earlier but no one cared. Let's see how the response is over here?

I kept looking around for a good durable headphone stand but I can't seem to find anything to suit me, so why not DIY? I had to annoy the lady at Home Depot a bit but she helped me cut all the tubes in the end. Total cost was less than 20$. It was my little Thanksgiving arts and crafts project.

By the way, how was everyone's Thanksgiving?
Black Friday shopping anyone?

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #135 of 546

Quote:
Good job, blitzraider!

Is the paint sealed or coated? I'd be paranoid about it scuffing off onto the headbands.

I don't know, it's some sort of industrial grade spray paint? It was sticky at first, but I let it dry for a day and it seems to be working very well.

A next step is I want some cushions or something like that to wrap around the bars. Any good suggestions of stores to go to in the US? Bed, bath and beyond maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back