New headphone amplifier from Bryston
May 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #1,066 of 2,442
Quote:
Hi James, I was looking at the BDA-2 and BHA-1. Can  you update the Bryston website to include dimensions and weight of the units? They are not listed on your webpages nor in the "brochure" or other technical documents for the respective units.

Stop looking and start buying! They're both seriously awesome products and will go very nicely with both the LCD3 and HD800 :)

May 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #1,068 of 2,442
Quote:
Hi James, I was looking at the BDA-2 and BHA-1. Can  you update the Bryston website to include dimensions and weight of the units? They are not listed on your webpages nor in the "brochure" or other technical documents for the respective units.

[size=10.0pt]BDA2[/size]
[size=10pt]Width is 17" (dress panel can be either 17" or 19")[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Depth is 11.5" (including the jacks on the rear panel to the front panel)[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Height is 2.75" with rubber feet on or 2" with feet off[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Weight is 12.5 lbs[/size]

[size=10pt]BHA1[/size]
[size=10pt]Width is 17" (dress panel can be either 17" or 19")[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Depth is 12.25" (includes the jacks on the rear panel and the knobs on the front panel)[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Height is 2.75" with the rubber feet on or 2" with the feet removed[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Weight is 13.25 lbs[/size]

May 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #1,069 of 2,442
  Hi James;

BRYSTON BDA-2 DAC:

Wow, I mean WOW, what a DAC!

For the last 3 ½ years I’ve been very happy with the BDA-1, but now that I’ve heard the BDA-2, for me there’s no going back. When I set out to listen to the BDA-2, I thought I’d have to do a lot of switching back and forth to discern the differences, but it was obvious as soon as music started to play. Depth, texture, cymbal decay, 3D soundstaging, they’re all there in spades with the BDA-2. All the detail, PRAT, and sense of live musical performance is still there as it is with the BDA-1, but now there’s more space around each instrument so that the aforementioned “texture” comes through.

Also, subtle dynamic shadings are easier to appreciate with the BDA-2 over the BDA-1, so that the music has more varied emotional impact. If I had to sum it up, I’d say it’s an incredibly natural sounding dac, as “real” as any tube/analog rig I’ve ever heard. I think the BDA-2 and Magnepan ribbon tweeters are a match made in heaven. As much as I love my maggies (3.6), I’ll admit they do start to compress at higher volumes.

Someday I hope to hear the Model T’s.

Thanks so much.....very happy customer.

Regards,
Daniel Lee

May 14, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #1,073 of 2,442
Quote:
has anyone used the AKG K 702 (65 A) Bryston bha1, how does this statement?

I have the K702-65.  I'll check it out this weekend and report back.

May 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #1,074 of 2,442
Well, if K701 is anything like the K702/65 then it should be pretty good with the Bryston. Bryston is very flat and accurate to a fault and if that is something you value (I wouls say so given the choice of headphones) then the BHA-1 might be a good choice for you. But wait till Mike tries it out since he has the very headphones, he's the king!

May 23, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #1,077 of 2,442

We are looking at a CD transport that connects to our BDP-2 Player.

a small drive-only enclosure, using the bdp to control playback and bda to decode the audio? i like this idea!

Better - yet... id suggest a CD/DVD-A/SA-CD/BR transport/drive integrated within a bdp, or bdp-like, digital player. As the transport alone is incredibly simple and the drive units which make up a bulk of the tech are cheap as borsch and sourced externally (such as phillips' etc..). ...does the bda dac decode pcm? ..(i dont think so... i guess this is another reason why a bdp would be a good plan as its playback software could be programmed to do the pcm conversion and control the drive unit

it would be nice if you make the cd transport very inexpensive and drive bda sales by selling the transport (and vice versa). a bda as a two (or three) chassis multi-disk format playback setup would be nice

May 23, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #1,078 of 2,442

We are looking at a CD transport that connects to our BDP-2 Player.

a small drive-only enclosure, using the bdp to control playback and bda to decode the audio? i like this idea!

Better - yet... id suggest a CD/DVD-A/SA-CD/BR transport/drive integrated within a bdp, or bdp-like, digital player. As the transport alone is incredibly simple and the drive units which make up a bulk of the tech are cheap as borsch and sourced externally (such as phillips' etc..). ...does the bda dac decode pcm? ..(i dont think so... i guess this is another reason why a bdp would be a good plan as its playback software could be programmed to do the pcm conversion and control the drive unit

it would be nice if you make the cd transport very inexpensive and drive bda sales by selling the transport (and vice versa). a bda as a two (or three) chassis multi-disk format playback setup would be nice

May 23, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #1,079 of 2,442
motorized or unmotorized pots are noisey and cause sound quality issues and wear out ... i really dislike them. this wouldnt be a great way to add a remote function for volume.
digitally controlled (by rotary  encoder) relay-controlled resistor-based attenuators can be made to offer 0.5db steps easily with a small number of relays, and these systems adapt well to remotes.
im integrating one into a balanced preamp im building for myself from one of passlabs designs.

im not even sure it would cost much more than a top quality motor-pot. the required components are cheap, but i realise they are labour intensive to design and build - which escalates price rapidly.. it would make sense if the bha was actually designed to have preamp functionality, but the pre-outs are in no mans land.. where it seems they have limited use.

the bha "preamp feature" is somewhat misleading ive found....
the gain of the amp is too high for preamp use and theres no switch to ground/mute the pre-outs in headphone use, or vice-versa. it needs a lower gain setting (like around 5 to 10 db gain) for preamp use and for use with sensitive headphones.
the volume knob is operated at the lowest end where theres a lot of channel imbalance and volume attenuation is overly sharp.
the bha volume control is ...not good

i was looking forward to using my bha as a preamp too until i received mine and realized this pre-out feature wasnt ideal/well thought out... a few small design mods would make it functional, but for some reason bryston doesnt seem interested in doing so today.. so i started building my own preamp... which ive discovered isnt half as difficult (provided a good design is available( as id previously thought.

May 23, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #1,080 of 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormosaWest /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... the gain of the amp is too high for preamp use and theres no switch to ground/mute the pre-outs in headphone use, or vice-versa. it needs a lower gain setting (like around 5 to 10 db gain) for preamp use and for use with sensitive headphones.
the volume knob is operated at the lowest end where theres a lot of channel imbalance and volume attenuation is overly sharp.
the bha volume control is ...not good

If everything else is OK, except for the high gain, then all you may need are some inline attenuators to connect to to outputs.
For example: http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back