New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Apr 29, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #1,053 of 2,442
[size=14.0pt]This is hilarious[/size]  
regular_smile .gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxz6_utUsZo&feature=share

james

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,057 of 2,442
I think Bryston has a rather unique position in the market to manufacture high quality amplifiers that need not be advertised in order to be recognized by professional studions or audiophiles alike. This is important because the market is rampant with expensive marketing and the competition is fierce. Even if you have a great product, the chances of you succeeding without proper advertisement are negligible and advertisment costs money. making a cheaper amplifier would make no sense for Bryston and they are better off the way they do business now.

To be fair, you don't need to buy a Bryston to get good quality but don't expect the best if you don't. I tend to think of their products as an investment and peace of mind. There are a lot of high end manufacturers but I don't see Bryston owners changing hands so rapidly or even at all.

World would be a nice place if everyone had food to eat so I imagine everyone on this forum is wealthy enough.

May 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #1,058 of 2,442
Questions about the Bryston faceplates:

1. Am I correct in understanding that the 17" faceplate is exactly 17" wide? It appears to be wider (and taller) than the rest of the body, so is the body about 15-16" wide? I would like to make sure it lines up with the rest of my AV gear. If I place my CD player on top of the Bryston gear, will there be any problems with it hitting the faceplate?

2. Is the silver brushed aluminum the same color as the MacBook laptops? I'm using that as a point of reference for Cambridge Audio CD player gear.

May 3, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #1,059 of 2,442
Quote:
Questions about the Bryston faceplates:

1. Am I correct in understanding that the 17" faceplate is exactly 17" wide? It appears to be wider (and taller) than the rest of the body, so is the body about 15-16" wide? I would like to make sure it lines up with the rest of my AV gear. If I place my CD player on top of the Bryston gear, will there be any problems with it hitting the faceplate?

2. Is the silver brushed aluminum the same color as the MacBook laptops? I'm using that as a point of reference for Cambridge Audio CD player gear.

Hi

Yes it is exactly 17 inches wide but the Faceplate is 1/4 inch above and below the chassis in height on the C-Series. As long as what you place on top has feet all is OK.

I would say its very close looking at my MAC laptop.

james

May 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #1,060 of 2,442
Quote:

Hi

Yes it is exactly 17 inches wide but the Faceplate is 1/4 inch above and below the chassis in height on the C-Series. As long as what you place on top has feet all is OK.

I would say its very close looking at my MAC laptop.

james

Thanks for the info. What is the C-series? Are the BHA-1 amp and BDA-2 in that series?

Also, what happened to your CD player? I just google'd and saw that you discontinued it. Are you planning to release a matching CD transport sometime? I know that there are still many, many CD lovers.

May 3, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #1,061 of 2,442
Quote:

Thanks for the info. What is the C-series? Are the BHA-1 amp and BDA-2 in that series?

Also, what happened to your CD player? I just google'd and saw that you discontinued it. Are you planning to release a matching CD transport sometime? I know that there are still many, many CD lovers.

Hi,

C -Series is the Consumer series not the Pro faceplates. Yes the BHA and BDA are C-Series

The CD drives were no longer available so we had to discontinue our CD player - too bad it was exceptional!  We are looking at a CD transport that connects to our BDP-2 Player.

james

May 4, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #1,062 of 2,442
Apart from that James, are there any other differences between the SST2 consumer and pro amplifiers?

Also, I have a few questions about the new BDA-2 converter.

- how come you decided to use only one (and admittedly) larger toroid instead of two smaller and shielded ones you used in the BDA-1
- apart from the transition from Crystal Semiconductor to Asahi Kasei converters, were there the clocks changed as well (from what I could see, you use two of them - one for 44.1 and the other for 48 kHz multiplies)
- what's of most interest to me is the input stage before the converters; where you able to keep the discrete system found in the BDA-1?

Cheers!
Antun

May 4, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #1,063 of 2,442
Quote:
Apart from that James, are there any other differences between the SST2 consumer and pro amplifiers?

Also, I have a few questions about the new BDA-2 converter.

- how come you decided to use only one (and admittedly) larger toroid instead of two smaller and shielded ones you used in the BDA-1
- apart from the transition from Crystal Semiconductor to Asahi Kasei converters, were there the clocks changed as well (from what I could see, you use two of them - one for 44.1 and the other for 48 kHz multiplies)
- what's of most interest to me is the input stage before the converters; where you able to keep the discrete system found in the BDA-1?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

The pro version has gain controls on each channel so I usually recommended the consumer version if you want the cleanest simplest circuit path and the pro if you need to adjust each channel volume and rack mounting.

It is a dual core wired transformer so it is larger and behaves the same as two smaller units.  
No the clocks are the same as far as I know
Yes we kept the discrete system throughout.

james

May 4, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #1,064 of 2,442
Very interesting!

Then apart from the enhanced USB interface, there shouldn't be that much of a difference between the BDA-2 and BDA-2, except for the one derived from new converters, right? 

Also, apart from replacement of the two transformers for one, are there improvements in the power supply? Higher quality regulators for example?

Cheers!
Antun

May 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #1,065 of 2,442
Hi James, I was looking at the BDA-2 and BHA-1. Can  you update the Bryston website to include dimensions and weight of the units? They are not listed on your webpages nor in the "brochure" or other technical documents for the respective units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back