New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Feb 24, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #947 of 2,442
Hi Folks

Got a pair of the HD 800's yesterday - very nice.

Now have a good cross section of phones now --- the Audez 2 and 3, the HD 800's the Grado 1000's, the HIiFi Man HE 500's  the AKG Q701's and the Audio-Technica ATH -W5000

james

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #948 of 2,442
I'd run the Bryston on thick or bass heavy cans. Like the HD650, LCD-2, HE-500, etc. The bright cans like the AKG, Senn 800, etc can be used with a musical source. Otherwise you may think it overbearing. One of the best pairings with the Bryston was the LCDs. Plenty of power for that bass and brought out the highs without sacrifice of it mids. I felt it better running the LCDs than the Mjolnir but had a short time with the Mj pairing. This was with a Anedio D2 balanced.

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #949 of 2,442
^^ This^^  Also just like the MJ for the BHA-1 to sound really good with the HD800.  IMO a pretty good DAC is needed.  D2, PDW2 or better.

Really would like to know how the new Bryston DAC fairs..

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #951 of 2,442
Quote:
I'd run the Bryston on thick or bass heavy cans. Like the HD650, LCD-2, HE-500, etc. The bright cans like the AKG, Senn 800, etc can be used with a musical source. Otherwise you may think it overbearing. One of the best pairings with the Bryston was the LCDs. Plenty of power for that bass and brought out the highs without sacrifice of it mids. I felt it better running the LCDs than the Mjolnir but had a short time with the Mj pairing. This was with a Anedio D2 balanced.

That's interesting because I am also using an Anedio D2 with my Bryston. I really like the combo of the D2, BHA-1 and LCD-2. I find the D2 is very revealing yet not etched and the BHA-1 adds a little oomph to the bass. Overall though I like a very neutral presentation best and I'm wondering if I might get closer to that from the HD800. Plus of course the Achillies heel of the LCD-2 is the soundstage. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #952 of 2,442
Were those of you who were finding the single ended operation inferior to the balanced operation also running single ended inputs, or balanced?

I'm not hearing congestion running balanced in and single ended out - but then again I don't have a proper set of balanced cans to compare.

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #954 of 2,442
Feb 26, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #955 of 2,442
Yes. I don't have an unbalanced cable for my 2.2.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #956 of 2,442
Were those of you who were finding the single ended operation inferior to the balanced operation also running single ended inputs, or balanced?

I'm not hearing congestion running balanced in and single ended out - but then again I don't have a proper set of balanced cans to compare.

Yes, good question, is balanced out still better if the input is single ended?

Maybe James T can answer that one for us.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #957 of 2,442
James' opinion is that they are the same. Not sure where he posted that, but that is the gist of his comment.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #959 of 2,442
Quote:
If it's  as neutral as the BP26/ 4BSST combo, it is a good one to own, I wish Bryston would do away with the 20 years warranty to keep the pricce lower.

Most of people I know do not keep the same unit for some 20 years. I know I do not so why should I have to pay for the "package deal". Come on , 5 years warranty is more than enough.

I respect your point of view and others might like to see the prices dropped but, I've always been of the thought that bryston sits at the ideal price point to consistently offer premium high end hi fi equipment. Anything that could compromise that would be a bad decision in my opinion. The most enticing fact about the whole bryston pride of ownership is that it is backed by that 20year warranty. I dont plan on switching gear... Once high end comes into play pleasure is always had and i choose to be happy all around with the quality rather than drift from Component to component like some do. Yes, theres reasons to want another head amp as well.. Like a tube driven amp.. But i think sometimes we either need to compromise one way or the other.. Either sound signature or product quality.  Lest we forget, for those who do chose to sell a piece of bryston equipment, that excellent warranty is one of the most value added features on the used market as well.. And sure to command higher used prices. .. Also.. With such premium quality build, the failure rates are likely so low than even 20years hardly requires substantial service... So offering 20 years probably affects their sales more than their prices.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #960 of 2,442
One of the great results of the 20 year warranty we started back in 1990 is it forces our designers to think long term when designing products.  So part choices and integrity of design is paramount in their minds.

james 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back