New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Feb 10, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #931 of 2,442
Excellent pics!

any plans for running balanced 'phones?

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #932 of 2,442
Quote:
Excellent pics!

any plans for running balanced 'phones?

I'm sure curiosity will cause me to re-terminate the SP-1 and make a single ended adapter out of the leftovers so I can run both ways.

Really enjoying the combo single ended for the time being though, so it might be a bit!

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #933 of 2,442
Wyred4sound DAC-2 would be my last option if I intended to use it with the Audez'e offerings. The sound loses every sense of purpose and dynamics and generally, my opinion on this DAC is not good at all. For less money, Exposure 2010S2 for example offers a lot more. If price and specifications don't impose superiority in your eyes, then a converter like the aforementioned Exposure is the better choice. A slightly more expensive M2Tech Young is also a good choice. I just don't like the fact you have to pay an extra premium for a solid power supply, something that should be the inherent part of any device that has aspirations towards high fidelity. I'd rather they offered the Young as a full-sized component that cost the same as a Young/Palmer combination. Someone mentioned the Bryston BDA-2. It is a good converter indeed and considering the performance, the price is really fair. Naim DAC would also be in this league though Bryston trumps it slightly. There are lots of good choices and the Wyred4sound is not one of them. At least when Audez'e offerings are in question but then again, I am not really fond of their headphones. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #934 of 2,442
Quote:
Wyred4sound DAC-2 would be my last option if I intended to use it with the Audez'e offerings. The sound loses every sense of purpose and dynamics and generally, my opinion on this DAC is not good at all. For less money, Exposure 2010S2 for example offers a lot more. If price and specifications don't impose superiority in your eyes, then a converter like the aforementioned Exposure is the better choice. A slightly more expensive M2Tech Young is also a good choice. I just don't like the fact you have to pay an extra premium for a solid power supply, something that should be the inherent part of any device that has aspirations towards high fidelity. I'd rather they offered the Young as a full-sized component that cost the same as a Young/Palmer combination. Someone mentioned the Bryston BDA-2. It is a good converter indeed and considering the performance, the price is really fair. Naim DAC would also be in this league though Bryston trumps it slightly. There are lots of good choices and the Wyred4sound is not one of them. At least when Audez'e offerings are in question but then again, I am not really fond of their headphones. 

Well, that's one opinion of the W4S DAC-2 and the LCD3's
blink.gif

I use that combination with my BHA-1 quite often and have quite the opposite opinion.   I've tried enough other DACs in the system to be sure the W4S doesn't lose "every sense of purpose and dynamics".  Not enough to claim that the W4S is the best, but certainly enough DACs to know it wouldn't be a "last option".

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #935 of 2,442
So, pre-BHA-1 ownership... headphones were a nice addition to my audio consumption problems while I worked at my desk.  My preferred, recreational listening came from the external Canton setup in the home theater/listening room.  I've pretty much always preferred external setups... it's just a different listening experience

Post BHA-1 ownership... I am finding myself actually CHOOSING to roll with headphones sometimes - and I can't tell if it is because I'm intrigued now by what headphones are capable of or if I am just impressed.  Likely both.

My point, really digging this amp.  It really fixed the treble congestion problem and cold character of the D100/SP-1 combo.  Definitely in a closer to neutral place with a much more separated, articulate, and controlled treble.  Harshness is gone, and the added low end body is a nice addition as well.

Thanks for the info you guys provided on this thread

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #936 of 2,442
My opinion, yes! By all means, disagree!

I have a somewhat different perspective because prices here are a lot different and ultimately, it always comes to that. Not to say that majority of expensive things are good but good things usually are expensive. I just don't think W4S is one of them.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #937 of 2,442
So, pre-BHA-1 ownership... headphones were a nice addition to my audio consumption problems while I worked at my desk.  My preferred, recreational listening came from the external Canton setup in the home theater/listening room.  I've pretty much always preferred external setups... it's just a different listening experience

Post BHA-1 ownership... I am finding myself actually CHOOSING to roll with headphones sometimes - and I can't tell if it is because I'm intrigued now by what headphones are capable of or if I am just impressed.  Likely both.

My point, really digging this amp.  It really fixed the treble congestion problem and cold character of the D100/SP-1 combo.  Definitely in a closer to neutral place with a much more separated, articulate, and controlled treble.  Harshness is gone, and the added low end body is a nice addition as well.

Thanks for the info you guys provided on this thread

Same here, was planning for a one can one amp solution but now I'm looking to buy more headphones after I got the bryston. Guess ill never learn :p

Feb 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #941 of 2,442
Last week I finally got to really play with my BHA-1. Using Audeze LCD-2s.
I have been using the single ended 1/4" outlet for the factory cable and have always had to turn the amp up near maximum - over 3/4 of the way - to have the volume level I like. I could hear what I called "distortion" or signal breakup regularly when using CDs to feed the amp. I finally got a beautiful set of balanced cables - single 4 pin XLR connector to the amp - from Norse Audio - Skuld 8 copper. Now I am not the type that believes much in cables making a difference and purchased the cables as they were attractive, far better built, and needed to get something aftermarket to have the XLR connections. The sound differences were quite dramatic and I attribute most if not all of that to now using both channels in the amp. James had explained to me - I may have the terminology wrong - that using the 1/4" connector only used 1 side of the amp and that I really should try out using the XLR connections to use the full capability of the BHA-1. Now, I find myself constantly turning down the volume control and am quite a bit lower than 1/2 way. ALL of the perceived distortion and signal errors have been eliminated. Much more enjoyable system. These headphones are really showing off what they can do.

So the summary is - if you can - try using balanced connections for your headphones with this wonderful amp. Even an old guy with tin ears like me can easily discern the difference!!
And take a look at the Norse Audio cables - exquisite construction - fabrication and the price is very reasonable for what you get.

Thanks to everyone here that recommended the Bryston to me.
Pete

Feb 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #942 of 2,442
With my BHA-1 and LCD-2 on low gain I max out around 10-11 o'clock on the volume knob. Normally I listen around 9-10. My HD800 also on low gain usually sits around 8-9 with top out at 10.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #943 of 2,442
I set the amp on low gain with my balanced LCD-2s and the volume knob at 12 noon, and use the volume control on my DAC. Before I had my balanced cables (Audeze) I did the same only using the high gain setting on the BHA-1.

If you are having to really crank the BHA-1 you might see if there is a way to increase the output level on your DAC.

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #945 of 2,442
Quote:
Is the BHA-1 considered a good choice for use with the HD 800? If so I might buy a pair.

Yes...Check out Maxvla's comments:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/652394/my-take-on-lcd-2-and-hd800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back