New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Dec 8, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #706 of 2,442
Bring it on! Why did you choose a sliding pot? Why not a stepped attenuator, resistor-ladder or whatever alternatives there are?
Quote:

The Noble is very linear throughout is range and it is one of the reasons we chose it.  I can get a more 'engineering' answer if that helps.

james

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #708 of 2,442
Quote:

"The most obvious sign that something special is going on is the row of three DIN sockets next to the 1/4-inch headphone jack on the front panel." LOL This is so embarrassing, calling XLR connectors DIN... what planet is this Phil Gold from?

I asked and  he tells me his British roots!!!

james

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #709 of 2,442
Quote:

I asked and  he tells me his British roots!!!

james

From the people who call fries - "chips". 
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #712 of 2,442
Now I finally have my BHA-1 after 11 weeks of waiting! First BHA-1 in Sweden!
biggrin.gif
  I got everything I ordered, except the locking mechanisms on XLR connectors.
frown.gif
  Feels kind of "naked" without locking XLRs, but I’ll get used to it I guess...

Initial impression is that BHA-1 sounds a little bit "fuller" or "richer" than my EAR909. More impressions to come. Maybe I’m imaging but I prefer the hi-gain setting with LCD-3, it’s like it has a little bit more power (sound wise), clarity and "oomph" than the corresponding volume setting on low-gain.

It’s very nice to have a real volume pot instead of a coarse stepped attenuator (that is either too low or too high).  I set the volume with balanced LCD-3 @ approx. 9 o’clock with hi-gain and driven by Lynx Hilo balanced +4dBV (if I understand it correctly BHA-1 should be able to handle this level).

I must comment on how similar the Lynx Hilo built-in HP amp’s sound signature (or rather lack of) is to BHA-1! I guess both got it right. It’s sad that you HP maniacs seem to have missed this excellent DAC.

How much burn-in does my brai... BHA-1 need?

Wow, "Lean Down" from Ilya’s album "Fathoms Deep", 24-bit FLAC, sounds soooo good with this setup! (with the 112dB redline monitor plugin of course, otherwise it’s the usual HP mess)

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #713 of 2,442
Quote:
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

Initial impression is that BHA-1 sounds a little bit "fuller" or "richer" than my EAR909. More impressions to come. Maybe I’m imaging but I prefer the hi-gain setting with LCD-3, it’s like it has a little bit more power (sound wise), clarity and "oomph" than the corresponding volume setting on low-gain.

It’s very nice to have a real volume pot instead of a coarse stepped attenuator (that is either too low or too high).  I set the volume with balanced LCD-3 @ approx. 9 o’clock with hi-gain and driven by Lynx Hilo balanced +4dBV (if I understand it correctly BHA-1 should be able to handle this level).

I must comment on how similar the Lynx Hilo built-in HP amp’s sound signature (or rather lack of) is to BHA-1! I guess both got it right. It’s sad that you HP maniacs seem to have missed this excellent DAC.

Wow, "Lean Down" from Ilya’s album "Fathoms Deep", 24-bit FLAC, sounds soooo good with this setup! (with the 112dB redline monitor plugin of course, otherwise it’s the usual HP mess)

Let it burn in while in use.  What you see is what you get. IMO

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #714 of 2,442
Quote:
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

If your area is like mine, the snow is faling and its time for a winter of headphone action! Great way to burn in a new piece of gear....

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #715 of 2,442
My BHA-1 is to be delivered tomorrow and will used with my brand new LCD-2s. So now I have some cable connection questions.
I did scan through the 48 pages to this thread but did not find any clear info on my question.

My LCD-2s have the factory cable with the 1/4" plug. With the BHA-1 amp, what are the benefits and drawbacks of the various connections available for my cans? Will there be noticable advantages to the XLR connections? Is there any difference to using the single stereo 4 pin XLR versus the two 3 pin XLR connections? I don't own the proper XLR cables to test this out myself so would love some education on this. :) Thanks!

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #716 of 2,442
Quote:

Hi Jon,

No that is not normal - email Mike Pickett at Bryston - we may have to have a look at your unit.
mpickett@bryston.com

james

Hi James,

Got it sorted. The low hum was due to my voltage regulator which is too close to my amp. It's a good thing I didn't send out the amp for inspection.

Thanks,
Jon

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #717 of 2,442
My BHA-1 is to be delivered tomorrow and will used with my brand new LCD-2s. So now I have some cable connection questions.
I did scan through the 48 pages to this thread but did not find any clear info on my question.
My LCD-2s have the factory cable with the 1/4" plug. With the BHA-1 amp, what are the benefits and drawbacks of the various connections available for my cans? Will there be noticable advantages to the XLR connections? Is there any difference to using the single stereo 4 pin XLR versus the two 3 pin XLR connections? I don't own the proper XLR cables to test this out myself so would love some education on this. :) Thanks!

Balanced will sound significantly better on this amp. Not sure why, but the unbalanced output just doesn't sound that good. XLR headphone outputs are the same quality, so use 4 pin if you can. It makes cables cheaper to buy and easier to use. The first balanced headphone amplifiers had 2 x 3 pin outputs, but that has changed to 4 pin as the standard (thankfully).

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #719 of 2,442
Nice video. Gave you a thumbs up. That 19" faceplate looks a little goofy. Glad I went 17".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back