New headphone amplifier from Bryston
May 2, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #2,341 of 2,442
Think a good upgrade from rebel amp would be the bha-1? Want the balanced option + a little more power
Bha-1 is a terrific Amp, especially the balanced output

May 2, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #2,343 of 2,442
Dear all,

Some of you may have heard of Bryston, the well-known maker of audio equipment for both the Consumer and Professional market. Quite a number of its current line of products have received critical acclaim and these include the BCD-1 CD player, the BDA-1 D/A converter, the recently released BDP-1 Digital player and the 28B-SST2 1,000 watts monoblock amplifiers. What many people love about Bryston, besides the high build and sound quality of its products, are its 20-year transferable warranty, parts & labour, on its analogue products and its 5-year transferable warranty on all its digital circuits.

Coming our way (probably September) is the first Bryston headphone amplifier the BHP-1. I know there are already many excellent headphone amplifiers at a wide spectrum of prices available in the market. But if you guys are considering a sensibly priced, high-quality headphone amplifier may want to wait out for BHP-1's arrival before making any decisions now.

Here's a picture of the prototype:

[Disclaimer: I am only a happy Bryston equipment owner and I am not in any way related to, or have any financial interest in Bryston]
This is exciting. I've been driving my Susvara with the Woo WA5-LE. I switched out the excellent Bryston BDA 3.14 for the Holo Spring KTE DAC (which is everything the hype says it is, and more - it is "better", categorically (and I hate the term), than any DAC I've heard and could meaningfully compare).

The BHA-1 was itself a fine amp, and made a good try when I plugged the Susvara in. Despite the rated power being much less than what the Susvara wants, it didn't fail in any way....just became a bit pale. on the easy Elite and the pretty-hungry Abyss 1266TC, the BHA-1 is a high-end amp, no doubt. While I've been saving and waiting for a Holo Bliss amp, which will be able to drive any cans, now Bryston is coming out with a unit I hoped they would, a high-power, endgame amp.

I was gonna sell the Bryston and Elites and go a little austere, with just the May and Big Woo, stop the collecting. Now the shadow is whispering, get rid of the BHA-1, buy the Bliss and the Bryston BHP1 and have two very different matched systems - kid can go to a local college. I'm trying to be strong. Send me second harmonic vibes to be strong and choose good over evil. Thank you!

May 3, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #2,344 of 2,442
Yep, I hear its definitely an option, being a top tier solid state amp. My biggest issue is if it would be a good fit with what I daily which is the focal clear
my daily headphones are the focal stellia and the focal elear. perfect combo would not change a thing, such good synergy between amp and headphone. dead silent back grounds, loads of good bass and a midrange to die for

May 3, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #2,345 of 2,442
20210223_065831_HDR.jpg

Jun 3, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #2,348 of 2,442
Is anyone using the BHA-1 as a preamp driving a power amp through the balanced outputs? I would like to try this, however my amp only has SE inputs.

I should be able to use XLR to RCA cables to make it work right? Just wondering how this set up is working for anyone using it.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #2,349 of 2,442
I have just picked up a second-hand BHA-1 at a good price. I was always interested in this amp, but it was either out of my financial reach or just opted for something else at the time.

The clarity, resolution, micro details and dynamic impact are impressive. I am picking up details I couldn't hear with the Burson Soloist 3XP. The Bryston is also more spacious.

There seems to be a tendency with more recent amps (Soloist 3XP, iFi iCan) that even if they say they are neutral and reference, they actually lean towards some warmth. Compared to those amps the BHA-1 is really neutral and reference sounding. Not to mention the enhanced resolving capabilities.

Depending on your system and headphones, the Bryston can be a great match. It definitely lifted the resolution, clarity and dynamic impact of my Meze Elite to next level. Just what I thought I could further improve a bit with my favourite headphone so far.

Currently I am using the Soekris 2541 R2R DAC which I prefer to the ADI-2, but in a few days I will try a Qutest as well and see if I keep the Chord or the Soekris. I am not new to Chord sound and I love Rob Watts work; but I am new to R2R and I also like it, so it will be interesting to hear which one I prefer in a direct comparison.

Good times and I am happy with this amp.

IMG_20220624_124652.jpg

Jun 24, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #2,350 of 2,442
Bryston BHA-1 is so resolving, it helps things like my iFi Gryphon shine through and not sound like a portable-Fi device.

iFi Gryphon’s xBassii and the Bryston BHA-1 + Focal Utopia is amazing
(4.4mmLineout-to-dualXLR)

20220623_211755.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #2,351 of 2,442
I have just picked up a second-hand BHA-1 at a good price. I was always interested in this amp, but it was either out of my financial reach or just opted for something else at the time.

The clarity, resolution, micro details and dynamic impact are impressive. I am picking up details I couldn't hear with the Burson Soloist 3XP. The Bryston is also more spacious.

There seems to be a tendency with more recent amps (Soloist 3XP, iFi iCan) that even if they say they are neutral and reference, they actually lean towards some warmth. Compared to those amps the BHA-1 is really neutral and reference sounding. Not to mention the enhanced resolving capabilities.

Depending on your system and headphones, the Bryston can be a great match. It definitely lifted the resolution, clarity and dynamic impact of my Meze Elite to next level. Just what I thought I could further improve a bit with my favourite headphone so far.

Currently I am using the Soekris 2541 R2R DAC which I prefer to the ADI-2, but in a few days I will try a Qutest as well and see if I keep the Chord or the Soekris. I am not new to Chord sound and I love Rob Watts work; but I am new to R2R and I also like it, so it will be interesting to hear which one I prefer in a direct comparison.

I absolutely want to know how the Qutest measures up to the Soekris, please get back to us with your impressions, thank you!

Jun 25, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #2,352 of 2,442
I read this in a 2019 review:

"Unlike most brands, Bryston has not bothered with releasing new versions of an already great product. The downside to this approach is that since most reviews naturally are made close after the initial launch, “old” products get less attention."

I think, this is absolutely spot on and part of the reason I am posting here is to raise attention for a great product. :)
We have some classic products that simply withstand the passing flow of time, and they would deserve more attention. Sennheiser's HD600, HD650, Bryston BHA-1 and I am sure you could mention a few more.

Everyone is keeping an eye out for the next biggest hype, the next improvement. And in a way it is good, as this is what drives innovation. Every now and then a new classic emerges, but we only see them as true milestones after at least 3-4 years down the line.

We are swamped with new releases and hype trains which last a few months and then disappear. I am not naming any manufacturers here on purpose.
Bryston is one of those classic brands who refuse to take part of this modern madness. When you already put down some respectful results on the table decades ago, there is no pressure in competing all the crazy newbies.

Sure, there is a risk of getting outdated, but with Bryston that is simply not the case. I tried quite a few popular SS amps and have to say, the BHA-1 smashes them all when it comes to clarity, resolution, instrument separation, dynamics and impact. The BHA-1 is really the epitome of reference SS amps even in 2022.

I have to mention, after the first wow moments with the BHA-1 I started to think/feel/hear that this might just be too dynamic and impactful for me, event though I love dynamics and impact. Also I thought occasionally the BHA-1 might be too bright up top?

A warmer source definitely benefits the BHA-1 in my opinion, as it will bring out the best dynamics of any warm R2R DAC for example. After a few days with the Bryston however my brain adjusted even more and now I don't feel this extra punch and treble openness bothering at all. All I hear is a very tight, speedy, impactful, clean and clear sound which I love through a musically tuned headphone like the Meze Elite a lot!

20 years of warranty on the top of this? Even with my quite a few years old second-hand unit I am less worried about warranty issues than with any of my previous amplifiers. I still have a good 10+ years of warranty. Consider just this one aspect. :wink:

Jun 25, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #2,353 of 2,442
best amp i have heard and have no desire to upgrade my amp. do need a better streamer to catch up to the rest of my gear

Jun 25, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #2,354 of 2,442
No remote with this unit correct? I love Bryston and Simaudio. I told myself have to have a remote for volume next time. Sit about 12 feet away from gear. It’s a little thing but have told myself it’s a must next go. Also takes Pass off the table.

Jun 26, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #2,355 of 2,442

IMG_20220624_124652.jpg
I remain curious about this amp. Your descriptions are exactly what I thought the BHA-1 would sound like. I'm currently using the GS-X MK2 that I probably won't replace anytime soon and it sounds a lot what you are hearing with the Bryston. I have a Soloist 3X GT headed my way. If I don't like I'll sell and pick up the Bryston.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back