New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Jun 27, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #1,606 of 2,442
Hi,

Have just purchased a 'new to me' BHA-1 unit to go with my Sennheisser HD800s. Prior set up was all HiFiMan rig, including their excellent EF5 Hybrid Tube amp.

All I can say is what a revelation. While my HD800s certainly sounded wonderful with the HiFiMan EF5, they simply sing and punch and reveal so much more from the same source with the Bryston BHA-1 (source BDA-1 + Sonos service).

Thanks!

Jay

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #1,608 of 2,442
I agree with most of this new review just posted. BHA-1 really shines with ALL HPs.
beerchug.gif

Its preamp out is underwhelming, however, on my system. Tried the pre-out to my 4B-SST2 and VA Mozart Grand SE spkrs. No go, putting it politely. That's OK, though. It's a headphone amp first and foremost, not a preamp. For that, I stick with my B100-SST! 
wink_face.gif

p.s. it's hilarious that El Hefe commented twice on his own review on that site.

Jun 27, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #1,609 of 2,442
Sorry, I got a little confused. Could you guys clarify me if that review is about one new model of Bryston BHA-1, a 2015 model if you will, or he is just talking about the "regular" BHA-1 compared to that 49 first units that came out with NO preamp output?? 

I could not find differences between the unit he is reviewing and my own.

Thank you for any clarification. 

Jun 27, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #1,610 of 2,442
  Sorry, I got a little confused. Could you guys clarify me if that review is about one new model of Bryston BHA-1, a 2015 model if you will, or he is just talking about the "regular" BHA-1 compared to that 49 first units that came out with NO preamp output?? 

I could not find differences between the unit he is reviewing and my own.

Thank you for any clarification. 

Hi 

Yes the first 49 did not have the Balanced outs since then all of the BHA-1's have the preouts

james

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #1,611 of 2,442
Hi James,

Is Bryston ever going to have a BHA-1 with remote volume control, using existing Bryston remote? Can an existing BHA-1 be retro-fitted for remote volume -- or just too expensive/detrimental to SQ?

thanks.

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #1,613 of 2,442
Hi Folks,

I wrote this a while ago but it may help.

Is Your System Out Of Balance?

One question which keeps coming up over and over is the controversy regarding audio components being "fully balanced" versus what is sometimes referred to as "balanced converting to single ended" at the input of the electronic component (preamp, electronic crossover, amplifier etc). The correct term for this balanced converting to single ended is more accurately referred to as "differential amplifier balancing" 

Popular mythology has seen fit to 'bless' the concept of 'fully-balanced' (meaning of course, two completely separate signal paths through a component, with its attendant doubling of parts cost and complexity, and halving of reliability). This approach completely misses the point, which is, of course, to eliminate hum and noise picked up by the audio cables feeding the component. 

The reason for this is that a differential amplifier, and this is -REALLY IMPORTANT- ‘rejects any common-mode noise’ which appears at its input, by a factor equal to its common-mode rejection ratio, (normally over 1000:1). A 'fully-balanced' circuit has a common-mode rejection ratio of precisely zero, since all signal, common-mode or not, is simply amplified and passed along via the two signal paths. It then remains up to the following component to attempt to reject that amplified noise, if it has a differential amplifier. 

Thus, fully-balanced circuitry is subject to passing along any noise which might be picked up on all the cables. Then it hits the final component in the system, usually the power amp, where the differential amplifier at its input is left to deal with the sum total of the common mode noise in the signal path, (multiplied by all the gain in the system).       I don't think this is an ideal scenario. If each component, (source, preamp, electronic crossover, power amp), had its own differential amplifier input, it would cancel any common-mode noise which appeared ahead of it, rather than amplifying it.  

james

Thanks for clarifying that! :D

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #1,618 of 2,442

internally mounted would probably impact the noise floor -- servo motor for the knob?

Actually, yes. Servo with a feedback not a great choice, as it always has to have a control PPM signal. Any other motor will do, though. The control system can be sent to deep sleep to avoid unnecessary noise. 
So, the noise only could be "heard" during actuation.

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #1,619 of 2,442

So, the noise only could be "heard" during actuation.

well. that's the essence, eh? thru headphones, too. adjusting the volume while listening...

A bit like having a brain surgeon with Parkinsonian tremor in his hands....(sorry) ...consequences can be very unpleasant.

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #1,620 of 2,442
just noticed your signature...how is the BDA-2?

Toyed with upgrading, but apparently the word (even from Bryston) was that don't bother unless you use USB or can live with very very subtle (tiny) changes from the BDA-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back