New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Oct 15, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #1,486 of 2,442
Greeting guys! I'm also a happy BHA-1 user for almost 2 years.

I'm pairing BHA-1 with HE-560 and Nordost Heimdall 2 headphone cable in balanced mode from the source (Lindemann Music Book:25 Music Server & CD Player.) The system is the best I have had in my home to date.

The 1/4" SE output is not so impressive... I connect Mac Book Pro with Amarra Symphony and Resonessence Labs Concero HD or HERUS into the SE input. (I do think that SE thru my Burson Soloist sounds much better.)

Cheers!
- ToMmY -

Oct 15, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #1,487 of 2,442
Greeting guys! I'm also a happy BHA-1 user for almost 2 years.

I'm pairing BHA-1 with HE-560 and Nordost Heimdall 2 headphone cable in balanced mode from the source (Lindemann Music Book:25 Music Server & CD Player.) The system is the best I have had in my home to date.

The 1/4" SE output is not so impressive... I connect Mac Book Pro with Amarra Symphony and Resonessence Labs Concero HD or HERUS into the SE input. (I do think that SE thrught my Burson Soloist sounds much better.)

Cheers!
- ToMmY -

Welcome! Yes, the Bryston is such an under appreciated amp, isn't it? But that's fine. As long as we enjoy it. :)

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #1,489 of 2,442
Any direct comparisons to the Burson Soloist?

Dec 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #1,490 of 2,442
I too am a new owner of this amp. Reading through everyones posts, reviews etc I had to pick this up.

I've been in the market for an amp that would jive well with my LCD2r2f and from what i have read it seems this pair were made for each other.

I take ownership on Tuesday. can't wait!

The only downside was I sold my beloved Project Ember. :frowning2:

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #1,491 of 2,442
Any direct comparisons to the Burson Soloist?

From memory as I sold my Burson Soloist, It drives the harder to drive headphones better. Does a better job with HE-6 and T1, for example. 
Very top notch sound.
The biggest difference is the excellent quality balanced outputs, making it so you can drive your Headphones, balanced of course, at their full potential. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #1,492 of 2,442
Received my BHA-1  today and have been listening to it all night. I have to admit that running my cans out of the SE output is disappointing. I have a balanced cable on the way and I hope that it makes a difference.

Out-put wise (gain/volume) I have the same "issue" as others have mentioned...from 0 to 9-10 o'clock the volume works good...after that the output is almost non existent until I reach 5 to 6 o'clock and then it just gets cRaZy loud! This kinda sucks as I would prefer more control over the gain. Of course sane people will listen to this around the 10 o'clock position; myself included most days but I do like to really blast it at times and I wonder if that is even possible. Maybe with balanced cables that can happen? I hope so anyway.

That said and out of the box I'm up in the air on this amp. SQ seems good. Music is pretty detailed, and airy, solid bass which is punchy. But so far not that much of an upgrade over the Polaris amp I have sitting next to it.....though it's a close call. Vocals are slightly better a little less recessed compared to the Polaris. Again I do hope that by running balanced cables it will take the amp to the next level which is what I had expected at this price point compared to my Polaris amp. The Polaris has a richer slightly warmer sound maybe slightly more 'open' and shockingly better separation of instruments. while the Bryston has a more neutral sound to it; maybe a little more body. Instruments are separated but not quite as well as the Polaris, (I can hear a pretty decent difference between the two amp's separation.) I think transparency comes to mind when listening to the BHA-1. Ultimately this is a good thing but will take an adjustment as I am so used to my Polaris and Ember amps. If anything it makes me have even more respect for Jeremy's amps.

I'll be burning this amp in and of course waiting on the balanced headphone cable. We'll see what happens.

For testing purposes I'm running both the Polaris and Bryston off a MHDT Labs Pagoda via Schiit SYS and both amps outputting to a Sescom A/B switch to Norne Audio Vanquish SE cable to LCD-2R2F

Oh by the way...this Bryston amp is built like a tank. Good lord it has weight to it. It screams "I'm gonna last you forever dude!"

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #1,493 of 2,442
There is a significant gain difference between the SE and balanced on this amp. If you are not using the gain switch to compensate the balanced output will sound much better than the unbalanced. There is no real difference.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #1,494 of 2,442
  Received my BHA-1  today and have been listening to it all night. I have to admit that running my cans out of the SE output is disappointing. I have a balanced cable on the way and I hope that it makes a difference.

Build quality is exemplary and with a balanced source and headphones the BHA-1 works perfectly, nothing added, nothing taken away and the volume gain if fairly linear.
But with a single ended source and unbalanced “inefficient” headphones, my AKG K712s for example….the results can be a bit disappointing  and with the wonky gain it makes setting a proper volume  level difficult.  

With regards to SE or balanced for the headphones, with levels matched… I’ve yet to hear a perceptible difference except …for the much appreciated 3db gain (6dBs with a balanced source.), with either the Sennheiser HD700s, HD580/600 or AKG K701s.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #1,495 of 2,442
My balanced cable should be here tomorrow. As it stands right now I can't see keeping this BHA-1. I cannot hear enough of a difference between this amp and the two others I have on hand. 72 hours of burn in so far and I understand Bryston actually burn them in themselves too.

After matching the volume between my amps I cannot hear a difference at all. If anything the Bryston has less volume output as well.

Gonna try the balanced cable but if I don't become happy with this I'm going to send it in and find another amp.

I have to admit the amp sounds good. It just doesn't do anything better than my current amps so I'm starting to feel like my money was wasted. I mean why spend $1400 on a amp that sounds just like my other amps? Doesn't make much sense.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #1,496 of 2,442

Out-put wise (gain/volume) I have the same "issue" as others have mentioned...from 0 to 9-10 o'clock the volume works good...after that the output is almost non existent until I reach 5 to 6 o'clock and then it just gets cRaZy loud! This kinda sucks as I would prefer more control over the gain. Of course sane people will listen to this around the 10 o'clock position; myself included most days but I do like to really blast it at times and I wonder if that is even possible. Maybe with balanced cables that can happen? I hope so anyway.

That said and out of the box I'm up in the air on this amp. SQ seems good. Music is pretty detailed, and airy, solid bass which is punchy. But so far not that much of an upgrade over the Polaris amp I have sitting next to it.....though it's a close call. Vocals are slightly better a little less recessed compared to the Polaris. Again I do hope that by running balanced cables it will take the amp to the next level which is what I had expected at this price point compared to my Polaris amp. The Polaris has a richer slightly warmer sound maybe slightly more 'open' and shockingly better separation of instruments. while the Bryston has a more neutral sound to it; maybe a little more body. Instruments are separated but not quite as well as the Polaris, (I can hear a pretty decent difference between the two amp's separation.) I think transparency comes to mind when listening to the BHA-1. Ultimately this is a good thing but will take an adjustment as I am so used to my Polaris and Ember amps. If anything it makes me have even more respect for Jeremy's amps.

I'll be burning this amp in and of course waiting on the balanced headphone cable. We'll see what happens.

For testing purposes I'm running both the Polaris and Bryston off a MHDT Labs Pagoda via Schiit SYS and both amps outputting to a Sescom A/B switch to Norne Audio Vanquish SE cable to LCD-2R2F

Oh by the way...this Bryston amp is built like a tank. Good lord it has weight to it. It screams "I'm gonna last you forever dude!"

I have the BHA-1 with LCD-2r2 since june 2012. Now with a NAD M51 dac. I'm one of the firm believer that this amp is a dream match for the LCD-2. I tried other headphones with it (HD-800, Beyer T1, HE-500) and my favorite by far are the LCD-2. Yes the balanced mode will make a difference especially if you have a very good balanced cable. But also remember that break-in is very important. It's unfair IMHO to compare a brand new new component to a well breaked in component.

And I will give you this really important tip about the Bryston:

The BHA-1 sounds much more dynamic and full bodied when powered for a really long period (I means a couple of hours) and when it's really hot. Maybe it's the nature of his Class A design. Do not worry, your pairing will be  a lot of good things but certainly not disapointing. I just can't imagine it.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #1,497 of 2,442
I haven't shut my Bryston off since I first turned it on after pulling it out of the shipping box. And yes it does put off a lot of heat.

Been A/Bing it between my HK amp and Polaris amp. The Polaris sounds better IMO and the HK and Bryston sound exactly the same.

But like I said I will wait for my balanced cable to arrive and see how things go. After reading the reviews I expected this to be more detailed than my current amps. So far I'm not too impressed but time will tell.

Let me put it in a better way; The amp sounds awesome. It doesn't sound like an upgrade though.

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #1,498 of 2,442
I have to admit the amp sounds good. It just doesn't do anything better than my current amps so I'm starting to feel like my money was wasted. I mean why spend $1400 on a amp that sounds just like my other amps? Doesn't make much sense.

I too was disappointed with my Bryston gear at first. I was in doubt that it provided the value. The SQ increase seems marginal to me. But when I went to local meet and tried some of the rigs I previously liked I was surprised that BHA-1/LCD-2 sound was visibly better in comparison. Sounds just right to my ears. Even though I used to like more of a warmer sound which BHA-1/LCD-2 are not.
So be careful you may have a withdrawal.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,499 of 2,442
Well I have been A/Bing the HK and Bryston more and I still believe it isn't audibly better than what I also own for amps. The HK and it sound very very close with the Bryston having a bit and I mean a very very slight edge in weight to the music.

My balanced cable didn't arrive yet so I still have to wait for it. I'm giving it every chance to impress. I want to like it. I don't care about the money considering that even if I return this amp I will just spend that same money and maybe more for another amp.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #1,500 of 2,442
My balanced cables arrived......WOW. What a difference. Output is MUCH greater. Bass is much tighter too and slamming. This is more in line with what I was originally expecting. I'm willing to give this amp more time now to impress. I was ready to return it. I even have my RMA number from Audio Advisor but I think I will wait for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back