New headphone amplifier from Bryston
May 23, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #1,441 of 2,442
Hello James,

I have problems with using low impendance phones with my BHA-1. It causes a backround hum. Do you have any plans for a mod? I already have the mod with lowered gain but this doesn't help to make the hum disappear.

May 23, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #1,442 of 2,442
May 23, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #1,443 of 2,442
Hello James,

I have problems with using low impendance phones with my BHA-1. It causes a backround hum. Do you have any plans for a mod? I already have the mod with lowered gain but this doesn't help to make the hum disappear.

Have you tried a different BHA-1 or at least tried to remove other possible causes by moving your amp and trying alternate power circuits in your home? There are many of us using low impedance phones with the BHA and to date, I don't recall anyone else reporting an issue.

I hope you get it figured out, but I really don't think the Bryston is the root cause of your hum.

May 23, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #1,444 of 2,442
The Bryston is the root cause. Have you ever tried T5p, Signature Pro, W3000ANV with the BHA-1? There is a hum very low but it is there. Of course I have tried connect BHA-1 at different plug sockets, with balanced, without balanced and so on. The amp hums!
I don't know why people outside germany don't want to hear it. But it's the same story as with Lyr. The Lyr hums a lot (much more as BHA-1!) and although with high impendance phones like T1. This is a no go for me! My Phonitor2 for example is dead silent with every headphone!

May 23, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #1,445 of 2,442
  Hello James,

Hi

I can not say we have this problem anywhere else as the noise floor on the BHA is extremely low - not sure why you are having the issue as we have tried the same headphones and they are fine?

james

May 23, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #1,446 of 2,442
I will.
smily_headphones1.gif
quick question: any issues ordering the digital player from the US? Thanks!

Hi

The warranty will be in the country purchased from so any issues means it has to come back to the USA for service.  It is not fair to ask our distributor to service units they have not sold.

Also we will only sell 120 V 60Hz units into the USA not 240 or 220 volt 50Hz.

james

May 23, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #1,447 of 2,442
  Hi

I can not say we have this problem anywhere else as the noise floor on the BHA is extremely low - not sure why you are having the issue as we have tried the same headphones and they are fine?

james

And now? I already have send the BHA-1 to Avitech and they modified the low gain. But that's not the problem because before the noise was there.

May 23, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #1,449 of 2,442
The Bryston is the root cause. Have you ever tried T5p, Signature Pro, W3000ANV with the BHA-1? There is a hum very low but it is there. Of course I have tried connect BHA-1 at different plug sockets, with balanced, without balanced and so on. The amp hums!
I don't know why people outside germany don't want to hear it. But it's the same story as with Lyr. The Lyr hums a lot (much more as BHA-1!) and although with high impendance phones like T1. This is a no go for me! My Phonitor2 for example is dead silent with every headphone!

Yes, I have tried a couple of the cans you list as well as some other very low impedance headphones. Many others have as well. Enough to say that the BHA-1 does not have an inherent hum.

That you experience this with other amps is another sign that there is something environmental occurring at your location.

May 23, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #1,452 of 2,442

here in italy i have no hum. I've tried the bha-1 with the akg k812 which is a low impedance headphone and it was dead silent. all my mains are properly filtered

May 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #1,453 of 2,442
Hi

The warranty will be in the country purchased from so any issues means it has to come back to the USA for service.  It is not fair to ask our distributor to service units they have not sold.

Also we will only sell 120 V 60Hz units into the USA not 240 or 220 volt 50Hz.

james

Thanks for the clarification, James. Will enjoy my rig as is for the time being then. :)

May 23, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #1,454 of 2,442
here in italy i have no hum. I've tried the bha-1 with the akg k812 which is a low impedance headphone and it was dead silent. all my mains are properly filtered

You're right, I also have the K812 and with this the BHA1 is dead silent. The AKG is far from the efficiency of T5p or Signature Pro. Test with it or plug an an InEar to the BHA1 and you know what I mean.
Curious is that with the TH900 the BHA1 is although Dead Silent. With LCD-XC there is a very little hum.

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #1,455 of 2,442
I am putting together my Hifiman HE-6 setup.

Can I leave the Balanced Outputs (in the back) connected to my Bryston 4B-ST if I am listening to either Balanced or Unbalanced headphones?  I don't mind disconnecting the headphones when using the preamp section but I would prefer not to disconnect the XLR cables in the back.

I will be using the BHA-1 as a preamp into the 4B-ST to drive the HE-6s.  However, I really like how the Grado RS1is sound from the headphone amp.  The amp section drivers the HE-6s okay but I think I would choose the HE-500s with my WA6-SE.

I am expecting my HE-6s driven by the BHA-1 and 4B-ST to be close to my endgame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back