New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Jan 26, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #1,381 of 2,442

Try unplugging the source (the DAC) from the BHA-1, do you still get hum?

Yes, I tried that already. And although XLR input and Single Ended input. The hum is always noticeable with this 2 headphones. And when I plug in an W3000ANV a hum is there but very very low and you can only notice it in an absolutely quiet environment. But with TH900 and AKG 812 which are although efficient headphones the BHA1 is dead silent.

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #1,382 of 2,442

Yes, I tried that already. And although XLR input and Single Ended input. The hum is always noticeable with this 2 headphones. And when I plug in an W3000ANV a hum is there but very very low and you can only notice it in an absolutely quiet environment. But with TH900 and AKG 812 which are although efficient headphones the BHA1 is dead silent.

Looks like you did your best!

I wouldn't be surprised if Bryston reduced the gain on the next revision to the BHA-1.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #1,383 of 2,442
That's very strange. I have the LCD-X and have no hum. The LCD-XC have an input impedance below that of the T5p and the Signature Pros. The sensitivity of the LCD-XC are similar to that of the Signature pros, but the T5p's sensitivity is much higher.

I do with they had a lower gain setting. With the LCD-X I can barely turn the knob above 9 o'clock when connected to the balanced output.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #1,384 of 2,442
  That's very strange. I have the LCD-X and have no hum. The LCD-XC have an input impedance below that of the T5p and the Signature Pros. The sensitivity of the LCD-XC are similar to that of the Signature pros, but the T5p's sensitivity is much higher.

I do with they had a lower gain setting. With the LCD-X I can barely turn the knob above 9 o'clock when connected to the balanced output.

I have the LCD-XC and no hum! You are right the Audeze has lower ohm but is not such efficient as T5p and Sig Pro, means the two are much louder on same volume level as the Audeze and TH900 and AKG 812.

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #1,385 of 2,442

Looks like you did your best!

I wouldn't be surprised if Bryston reduced the gain on the next revision to the BHA-1.

I still have the problem with the unbalanced in, where max volume is at or below a comfortable level but not high enough for the output of my preamp and AVP when watching movies and the odd vinyl selection is almost a no go which oddly enough was the same problem I had with my previous Bryston BP25P and Bryston B60R headphone outputs.
I’ve not seen any preamps (not that I want to buy another) with balanced tape/processor out so that it matches the balanced out of the Bryston BCD-1 for music where most listening is between 9-10 o’clock on the dial.
Right now my only option (well not quite but i just happen to have them lying around) is to still use my 2BLP pro from the balanced outs of the BHA-1 or continue with my separate setup for movies which is the Bryston .4 pre and 2BLP pro combo, a bit silly but what’s a headfier to do.
confused.gif

I also have a Shanling PH100 on hand that has no problem with gain for movies and vinyl with plenty of output to spare even though it’s only single ended.
redface.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #1,386 of 2,442
  I still have the problem with the unbalanced in, where max volume is at or below a comfortable level but not high enough for the output of my preamp and AVP when watching movies ................

Teaching an old dog new tricks,

After all this time it just dawned on me to use the variable stereo mix outs (dah
redface.gif
) on the AVP, this also allows me to also use the optional 0-10dB gain (which is bypassed with the Rec out which was what I’ve been using) for each source, giving me maybe an additional 14dBs of gain.
wink.gif

(anyone like to buy a Bryston .4/2BLP pro?
tongue.gif
)

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #1,387 of 2,442
  Teaching an old dog new tricks,

After all this time it just dawned on me to use the variable stereo mix outs (dah
redface.gif
) on the AVP, this also allows me to also use the optional 0-10dB gain (which is bypassed with the Rec out which was what I’ve been using) for each source, giving me maybe an additional 14dBs of gain.
wink.gif

(anyone like to buy a Bryston .4/2BLP pro?
tongue.gif
)

Funny, I was just going to ask you for a more detailed description as to how you had everything wired together.

Looks like you have found success, so, nevermind.  
Sounds like you now route everything into the BHA-1, so you use the balanced and SE inputs on the BHA-1, then you use the BPA-1 output to drive another power amp?
Or I'm just confused.....
confused_face_2.gif

Great to hear that it is all working out for you!

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #1,388 of 2,442

Funny, I was just going to ask you for a more detailed description as to how you had everything wired together.

Looks like you have found success, so, nevermind.  
Sounds like you now route everything into the BHA-1, so you use the balanced and SE inputs on the BHA-1, then you use the BPA-1 output to drive another power amp?
Or I'm just confused.....
confused_face_2.gif

Great to hear that it is all working out for you!

Hi Chris don’t get confused,

As you know I’ve been going around in circles since I got the BHA-1.

• At first I had just unbalanced connections from my Bryston BCD-1 and AVP or preamp, none of which gave me enough gain for my AKGs or Senns, ok for casual listening but the volume control was maxed out.
  • Then I hooked up the 2BLP pro to the balanced out from the BHA-1, but as you the 2BLP has a much higher noise floor., although way below listening level.
  • Next I added balanced cables running directly from the BCD-1 to the BHA-1, solved the music side of things and the 2BLP pro could handle the movies from the AVP but I then needed to make sure to lower the gain on the 2BLP when I switched to the balanced input or blow the headphones if I forgot to disconnect them from the 2B.
  •  I then was using a Bryston .4 pre to boost the unbalanced signal to the BHA-1 so I could use it’s single and balanced outputs when watching movies and therefore both the balanced and unbalanced inputs into the BHA-1were at unity gain. Obviously this was all getting a bit silly as I just wanted and should have been able to just use the BHA-1
  • I then remembered that the input signal could be boosted up to 10dBs within the programming of the AVP, unfortunately all processing is bypassed when using REC out.
  • So yesterday it dawned on me to use the stereo mix out on the AVP and program a separate config for Netflix and Blurays and use the 10dB gain which then would go to the BHA-1s unbalanced input.
  • End of Story

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #1,389 of 2,442
  Hi Chris don’t get confused,

As you know I’ve been going around in circles since I got the BHA-1.

• At first I had just unbalanced connections from my Bryston BCD-1 and AVP or preamp, none of which gave me enough gain for my AKGs or Senns, ok for casual listening but the volume control was maxed out.
  • Then I hooked up the 2BLP pro to the balanced out from the BHA-1, but as you the 2BLP has a much higher noise floor., although way below listening level.
  • Next I added balanced cables running directly from the BCD-1 to the BHA-1, solved the music side of things and the 2BLP pro could handle the movies from the AVP but I then needed to make sure to lower the gain on the 2BLP when I switched to the balanced input or blow the headphones if I forgot to disconnect them from the 2B.
  •  I then was using a Bryston .4 pre to boost the unbalanced signal to the BHA-1 so I could use it’s single and balanced outputs when watching movies and therefore both the balanced and unbalanced inputs into the BHA-1were at unity gain. Obviously this was all getting a bit silly as I just wanted and should have been able to just use the BHA-1
  • I then remembered that the input signal could be boosted up to 10dBs within the programming of the AVP, unfortunately all processing is bypassed when using REC out.
  • So yesterday it dawned on me to use the stereo mix out on the AVP and program a separate config for Netflix and Blurays and use the 10dB gain which then would go to the BHA-1s unbalanced input.
  • End of Story

Wow!
No wonder I was lost.    
confused_face_2.gif

Thanks for clearing that up.
Now maybe you can help me find my car keys?  LOL!

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #1,390 of 2,442

Wow!
No wonder I was lost.    
confused_face_2.gif

Thanks for clearing that up.
Now maybe you can help me find my car keys?  LOL!

Long story short, the whole idea in getting the BHA-1 (besides the impeccable build quality, superb neutral noise free amplification ete,etc.) was that I assumed I’d get more gain than I could from my previous Bryston BP25P pre and the B60Rs headphone outputs with unbalanced inputs.

So I was a bit perplexed and somewhat disappointed that all three units had the same maximum output with single ended inputs and output to the phones.

Obviously the BHA-1 was always touted as a balanced headphone amp from input to output, and it is indeed a fine one at that but…….......

Ok, now where was the last place you remember having your keys?
cool.gif

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #1,391 of 2,442
Please anybody,

BHA-1 compared with the HDVA 600?

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #1,392 of 2,442
Long story short, the whole idea in getting the BHA-1 (besides the impeccable build quality, superb neutral noise free amplification ete,etc.) was that I assumed I’d get more gain than I could from my previous Bryston BP25P pre and the B60Rs headphone outputs with unbalanced inputs.

So I was a bit perplexed and somewhat disappointed that all three units had the same maximum output with single ended inputs and output to the phones.

Obviously the BHA-1 was always touted as a balanced headphone amp from input to output, and it is indeed a fine one at that but…….......

Ok, now where was the last place you remember having your keys?:cool:

Ummmm, the shelf in the hallway were I usually put my keys when I get home.
Hey, that's where they are!

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #1,393 of 2,442
  Please anybody,

I can't compare them directly. I auditioned the HDVA 800 when I was also auditioning the NAIM DAC-V1. It was warm sounding. I prefer more treble with the LCD-X. I have the BHA-1 now, and it's very close to the same sound signature as the Naim dac on it's own. So, as far as sound signature, I'd expect the HDVA to be much warmer than the BHA-1.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #1,394 of 2,442
  Please anybody,

Seeing that the HDVA 600 from what I understand is basically the HDVA 800 without the DAC I'm sure they're very similar, so you may have more info searching for the BHA-1 and the HDVA 800.

http://hifilounge.tumblr.com/post/48205921616/at-long-last-the-sennheiser-hdvd-800-is-now-with-us
"Compared to the Bryston BHA-1/BDA-1 with the HD 800’s, well they do things very differently, the Bryston rig hasn’t got the out and out resolution, detail and separation but offers a fuller more analogue, organic and I guess natural presentation, that if I’m honest I could probably listen to for longer periods without fatigue. To be fair, my BHA-1 has had a lot of use and I’m really hoping that when the HDVD 800 has got similar hours on it that it will fill out a little and the higher frequencies will smooth out a little, hopefully without affecting the detail..............."

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #1,395 of 2,442
Thx guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back