New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Aug 17, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #1,171 of 2,442
Not to subscribe to such a heated thread, but-I have a BHA-1 en route! Will be here next week-will be pairing it with my balanced HD800-mostly in comparison to the HD800/Mjolnir pairing I recently had (sold the MJ-what a great amp though).

-Daniel

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #1,172 of 2,442
You are on quite the shopping spree here lately, Daniel. Are you planning on keeping one next to the Leviathan as your SS option?

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,173 of 2,442
I don't know-just kinda trying everything that's interested me lately. Guess since I'm now planning on saving big $$ for the Analog Dac or Overdrive-I'd try everything in between to get a feel for it. The Mjolnir eventually impressed me with the HD800-and most reports are that this may be a hair above that. Figured I'd see for myself. Too bad I don't have any Audezes to try out with it (same when I had the MJ). I really like the look of this Bryston, have never owned any of their equipment so, what the hey, right?

-Daniel

edit: Did you ever try one of these??

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #1,174 of 2,442
No, I would like to. I followed this thread when it was rolling. Seems like When Maxvla decided to go for the GS-X MK II things cooled off a bit. I have listened to the Bryston stack (Pre, DAC2, BDP-2,7BSST-2) with their new speaker line and I like them. Gotta love the 20 year warranty too.

=Eric

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #1,175 of 2,442
Ooh yeah-almost forgot about the excellent warranty-almost as nice as the 25 year warranty on my Tempurpedic. :) You are right though-I am essentially looking for an 'end-game' ss amp-especially for the HD800s. I liked the MJ enough that I told myself I'd fore sure try the Rag when it hits-and since that won't be out for a bit I figured I'd give this a shot. I'm a bit hesitant though that the Levi might set a whole 'nother bar as far as amplification goes (within my budget anyway), that I may have a hard time finding an ss amp that comes close to it. OTOH, I'm really looking for an ss amp that I would primarily be using for movies/games as to not waste precious tube life on that. Mainly something with a grand soundstage since movie dynamics are already on another level compared to most music. I'm rambling...let me know if you're interested in the Bryston in another week or two lol. That seems about my limit these days with new gear-whether I like it or not. :wink:

-Daniel

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #1,176 of 2,442
Enjoy! I am saving up for a Cary SLI-80....Always something...
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #1,178 of 2,442
Bourne, hope you got a good deal. I've been trying to sell mine for quite a while and have had it well priced.

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #1,179 of 2,442
Well I'm splurging this week apparently. I just bought my FIRST Audeze-a balanced LCD-2.2 from th FS forums. Probably the exact polar opposite of my HD800 love affair-but I'll try.  figured since they are supposed to be THE best hp for the Bryston-I'd get on board. Got a Dac100 incoming to to try with the Senn too. What's wrong with me?? I'm already sensing a selling spree in the coming weeks lol-but I do like to try stuff out for myself...mainly hoping the HD800s fair as well as you say Maxvla, with the Bryston. I'm sure it'll please me because I really liked the MJ/HD800 combo (after burnin).

Maxvla-maybe it hasn't sold because it is a non-preamp version, idk. Kinda dumb since it's just a lousy bullet point most people here wouldn't care about anyway I'd imagine.

-Daniel

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #1,180 of 2,442
You will like the Bryston if you liked the Mjolnir. Amps with similar sonic attributes. Fast, energic with lots of resolution. I compared the two last year with some headfiers in a mini-meet and everybody slightly prefered the Bryston. A bit more refined.

I love my BHA-1 with LCD-2r2 and NAD M51 with Audiophilleo2 + PurePower.

You will be impress by the feel of that amp. Really well built.
Quote:
Well I'm splurging this week apparently. I just bought my FIRST Audeze-a balanced LCD-2.2 from th FS forums. Probably the exact polar opposite of my HD800 love affair-but I'll try.  figured since they are supposed to be THE best hp for the Bryston-I'd get on board. Got a Dac100 incoming to to try with the Senn too. What's wrong with me?? I'm already sensing a selling spree in the coming weeks lol-but I do like to try stuff out for myself...mainly hoping the HD800s fair as well as you say Maxvla, with the Bryston. I'm sure it'll please me because I really liked the MJ/HD800 combo (after burnin).

Maxvla-maybe it hasn't sold because it is a non-preamp version, idk. Kinda dumb since it's just a lousy bullet point most people here wouldn't care about anyway I'd imagine.

-Daniel

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #1,181 of 2,442
Quote:
Bourne, hope you got a good deal. I've been trying to sell mine for quite a while and have had it well priced.

It's a shame that your amp didn't find another home yet. If only people knew the value this amp represent at your asking price.

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #1,182 of 2,442
The BHA-1 is a great amp and a bargain compared to almost anything on the market in terms of what you get with its build, FR and especially warranty. I would have kept mine with an LCD3 if I could; but fact of the matter is, I traded the BHA-1 plus cash for an LCD3! 
eek.gif

I do like an open and ever-so-slightly forward sound (mostly neutral), but the NAD M51>BHA-1>Audez'e headphones makes one hell of a system.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #1,183 of 2,442
Good to hear about the positive comments regarding the NAD M51, BHA-1 and LCD-3 rig as that is want to get as well over time. I recently tried out the  BHA-1 and LCD-3 with BDA-2. It was quite good but a bit too aggressive. Still very, very nice. When I asked the dealer about the NAD, he said he "finally" got rid of the final NAD M51 awhile back and that the dealers there thought it was boring as hell.

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #1,184 of 2,442
Quote:
Good to hear about the positive comments regarding the NAD M51, BHA-1 and LCD-3 rig as that is want to get as well over time. I recently tried out the  BHA-1 and LCD-3 with BDA-2. It was quite good but a bit too aggressive. Still very, very nice. When I asked the dealer about the NAD, he said he "finally" got rid of the final NAD M51 awhile back and that the dealers there thought it was boring as hell.

The aggressiveness would be from the BHA-1 IMO (as I found it more on the aggressive side of things), but the BDA-2 with the GS-X MKII sound absolutely amazing. Dynamic (without being aggressive), spacious and highly detailed.

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #1,185 of 2,442
Quote:
The aggressiveness would be from the BHA-1 IMO (as I found it more on the aggressive side of things), but the BDA-2 with the GS-X MKII sound absolutely amazing. Dynamic (without being aggressive), spacious and highly detailed.

Hmmm, I also tried the BHA-1 with Arcam D33 and another DAC. The BHA-1 wasn't aggressive with the other DACs. Even my D2000 single ended from BHA-1 w/ BDA-2 was very tamed. No nasty treble that you get with lower rigs.

How do you guys find BDA-1/2 in comparison to NAD M51?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back