New Head-Fi Update
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #496 of 1,792
I think the main thing is people were taken by surprise. They had no warning, and were just told there was site maintenance. Then all of the sudden, boom, a whole new interface with major changes.

At the very least an announcement should have been made in advance.

I've studied user interface design and one of the major rules is you don't spring interface surprises on people without expecting widespread initial disorientation.

Somebody did drop the ball here, big time.

Looks like they took a page from the Android/Samsung play book. My phone just installed an update yesterday. it was a a MAJOR update to Android 7 (Nougat). My phone is totally changed.

No way to get to my Watched Threads on the mobile site on my phone.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #497 of 1,792
Bloody mess, period. No warning to the user base and a complete dysfunctional site replaces something that was up and running.

As an IT professional who has done this type of thing before I can honestly say I have never in my entire career seen a business of this size act so irresponsibly. If this were a corporate migration the team would be sacked and consultants brought in to sort it out before you can do more damage by bringing an incomplete site up and attempting to fix it while users are logging in and out and the data is changing.

Perhaps you should have spent more time understanding the infrastructure and a little less time cramming the ad's everywhere you possibly could.

Shame on you Head Fi.

Spot On!

Some hypothesis, thinking out loud...
  1. It could be Head Fi don't care about their forums users (make zero business sense)
  2. Management had very bad taste when it comes to web design (puzzling, the old site looked great)
  3. Management could be held hostage by a irresponsible web design consultancy (no evidence at this stage)
It shows that the management has no clue about IT and/or web design, either way.

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #499 of 1,792
Inform them of the problems?? There's too many for me to attempt that.

I'd have to publish a book to address this mess.

They did get the ads placed in there just fine though, so good work on that team.

I've expressed my thoughts on the matter, and, having done that, I am now going to move on.

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #500 of 1,792
I've had to do this kind of thing before, myself, so I know the pain involved. Much of it is because the entire forum software has been changed, itself a massive undertaking. For me, I consider it amazing that the site is up at all, and didn't fall apart. More amazing that it loads fast.

Changing forum software sucks, there's no way around that. You get used to knowing where everything is, then suddenly you don't. It's like changing from driving a Toyota to a VW, and every time you go to turn, you put on the wipers instead of the indicator. And What is the cruise control? How the heck do I operate the radio?

Well no really it's like coming to work one morning in your Toyota and finding that when you leave work some clown has replaced it with a VW, and a Chinese model at that. Then you get in and find the windscreen has been covered in glue on flyers to date women from other countries and the side windows are obscured by ads for other stuff. The saving grace is of course that you have to figure out it takes 3 kicks and a rabbit punch on the column before the ignition key works. All your belongings are still back in the Toyota which is nowhere to be found and Navstar screams a security warning when you try to get directions from it.

Make any excuse you want but this is a major finger in the eye of the user community, and a middle finger at that.

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #503 of 1,792
Well no really it's like coming to work one morning in your Toyota and finding that when you leave work some clown has replaced it with a VW, and a Chinese model at that. Then you get in and find the windscreen has been covered in glue on flyers to date women from other countries and the side windows are obscured by ads for other stuff. The saving grace is of course that you have to figure out it takes 3 kicks and a rabbit punch on the column before the ignition key works. All your belongings are still back in the Toyota which is nowhere to be found and Navstar screams a security warning when you try to get directions from it.

Make any excuse you want but this is a major finger in the eye of the user community, and a middle finger at that.

+100,000,000 :triportsad:

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #505 of 1,792
I am dismayed to see that the Metatagging feature seems to be gone.

I used to make sure that posts were appropriately meta-tagged to the right product. ....This made it easier for users to read about a product and navigate to other threads directly relevant to the same product. That was a really nice feature. It will be missed. :angry:

Apr 27, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #506 of 1,792
What a complete disaster. (I can tell you all right now what product I will never ever buy. Noble. I have seen enough of it to last a lifetime.)

I have been fairly active here for a while, but I can't really enjoy the forum the way it is. I might check in again a few months/years form now.

If there is one thing I have learned from this forum change is that the forum was a work of genius the way it was. You never really know what you have until it is take away from you, do you?

Apr 27, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #510 of 1,792
Actually, the indicator there is misleading, and we're looking to remedy that. The number you're seeing is the number of pieces of gear you added to the Head-Gear section, not the reviews. It lists my Showcase Items as 143, and I haven't reviewed anything (outside of a few tests.)
Thanks for the clarification, that's a relief!
:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back