New Head-Fi Update
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #121 of 1,792
Well, not really. As someone that works on a bunch of forums, not this one, nor am I angling for a job, the platform this site was on, Huddler, announced to all their site owners that they were getting out of the biz. They provided a very basic backup of the database to site owners leaving them on their own as to what platform to chose to migrate too. Due to a lot of crap years back in the forum software space that left pretty much the base software this site is now using as the only decent alternative. Other sites going through this are AVS forums, Backyard Chickens, Epic Ski, Home Theatre Forums and Makeup Talk have all have to quickly move. This is a new platform for the admins after using something totally different for years.

really that makes a lot of sense! I guess the only thing I miss the most, was seeing the threads I lasted posted to... update with new posts. It was numerical, and arranged with the newest top. It was a nice list. The Watched threads have never been as useful as the ... updating thread history was. I do know that it wouldn't load at times, so hopefully they will find a way for us to see the threads we visit update after we've left them

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #122 of 1,792
I like the update in terms of looks and readability. Only thing that was troublesome was logging in, but that was a onetime thing, I hope. Oh, and the “search this thread” function, I’d miss that as it’s been quite helpful for me this past week, with all the reading and “research”. Just have to get used to navigating the site now.

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #125 of 1,792
Correction: Old avatars still exist; they're just harder to find.

To go to your old avatars, click Gallery, hover over My Gallery, click My Albums, then Avatars.

Viewing old avatars of other members is a little trickier...

I do like the Facebook-style way the images load downwards on the page instead of having to click through multiple pages.

More gripes:

• This one's major: No way to check up on all the threads I've posted in like I used to. I used to scroll through my profile and click on threads with updates. Now there is only a Postings section on profiles that merely shows the posts you have made.
  • No option to display classified ads in signatures.
  • Avatars are resized. On profiles they have been increased from 175 pixels to 192 pixels. In posts they have been decreased from 100 pixels to 96 pixels.
  • Aside from the post itself, only a user's user name, rank, avatar, and signature are shown in posts. Post count, join date, and location are no longer shown. (This could be seen as an attempt to focus on the message rather than the messenger, but I'm sure plenty of people don't like this change.)
  • To view a member's gear listing and so on, you have to click the corresponding link on their profile. Too many options, too much work.
  • Random logouts even when you set it to stay logged in.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #126 of 1,792
Well I'm not one to complain about ads (as long as they don't smack my face with a 30 second video that I'm forced to sit through) so the banners to the top, bottom and side doesn't really bother me. Besides, the ads are why I'm getting to use this platform for FREE in the first place.

Just a couple of ideas to possibly improve the experience:

1. Remove the private message tab. Remain the account alert tab but moved it to where the private message tab is located right now. This can be where the 'centralized' alert hub for users be.

2. Place several icons below the now moved account alert, for private messages, subscriptions and settings. Kinda like old which just makes it easier to browse when on desktop.

3. Have the option to 'watch this thread' be available on the article page itself and not have to click more options and go to a separate page.

These are what I'm looking at right now. And does anyone have an issue where the threads that weren't replied to were tag as having new replies? Thanks.

@joe MY BADGES T.T

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #127 of 1,792
Well I'm not one to complain about ads (as long as they don't smack my face with a 30 second video that I'm forced to sit through) so the banners to the top, bottom and side doesn't really bother me. Besides, the ads are why I'm getting to use this platform for FREE in the first place.

Just a couple of ideas to possibly improve the experience:

1. Remove the private message tab. Remain the account alert tab but moved it to where the private message tab is located right now. This can be where the 'centralized' alert hub for users be.

2. Place several icons below the now moved account alert, for private messages, subscriptions and settings. Kinda like old which just makes it easier to browse when on desktop.

3. Have the option to 'watch this thread' be available on the article page itself and not have to click more options and go to a separate page.

These are what I'm looking at right now. And does anyone have an issue where the threads that weren't replied to were tag as having new replies? Thanks.

@joe MY BADGES T.T

The problem is that they are waayyyyy too big.

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #128 of 1,792

I went through and went to the last page of each one and now it's current. PITA but it took like 2 minutes tops.

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #130 of 1,792
Well, not really. As someone that works on a bunch of forums, not this one, nor am I angling for a job, the platform this site was on, Huddler, announced to all their site owners that they were getting out of the biz. They provided a very basic backup of the database to site owners leaving them on their own as to what platform to chose to migrate too. Due to a lot of crap years back in the forum software space that left pretty much the base software this site is now using as the only decent alternative. Other sites going through this are AVS forums, Backyard Chickens, Epic Ski, Home Theatre Forums and Makeup Talk have all have to quickly move. This is a new platform for the admins after using something totally different for years.

I understand they had to move to new software. But all the frickin' ads...everywhere. Also, they couldn't have tested the new setup very long because are a zillion problems.....

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #131 of 1,792
Happy to have https, though being on a slow internet connection I suffer for that a bit.
the Ads don't bother me so much

But, finding the new layout/design unattractive and somewhat dysfunctional. The old one wasn't exactly attractive but it had some of that charm as form follows function, like an HD25.
Hopefully in time they can can add a "classic" theme option or somesuch.

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #132 of 1,792
So I guess they want you to stay on the site 24-7, because if you leave and then come back, it does not remember your being logged in, even if you set it to remember your status. Either that or they've got the cookie/session login timeout set ridiculoiusly short.

What's worse though, is that when I came back and re-entered my credentials to log in, it gave me an error saying I had not filled in the Captcha... when there wasn't one on the login page to begin with. It shows after a failed login attempt, but not when you first load the login page, meaning you autofail on the first login even if your credentials are accurate.

Oy vey.

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #135 of 1,792
Correction: Old avatars still exist; they're just harder to find.

To go to your old avatars, click Gallery, hover over My Gallery, click My Albums, then Avatars.
More gripes:

• This one's major: No way to check up on all the threads I've posted in like I used to. I used to scroll through my profile and click on threads with updates. Now there is only a Postings section on profiles that merely shows the posts you have made.

This one, I'm still trying to figure out. For now I'm just updating my watched threads, has any one figured out how to search within a thread yet? I can crtl+f for the page I have loaded, but that doesn't search the entire thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back