New Head-Fi Update
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2017 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,792

akg fanboy

Headphoneus Supremus
Your opinions about this update? I think this was a long overdue update, the UI is much more modern and we finally get HTTPS encryption. Navigating certain things are a bit harder because menus no longer have a drop down option for quickly going into a certain thread

Apr 26, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 1,792
It's pretty, it's polished, and I don't like it.

There, I said it. As an old fuddy duddy, I like the familiar. Change is evil.

Acceptance will come with use.

That said, I do have some observations:

1. I don't like that the default forum page only shows the main category forums at a glance. You can't just browse the list of available forums. Yes there's the little menu icon at upper left that takes you to a raw text formatted list of the forums, but there should be a way to have the pretty formatting of the former showing everything of the latter.

2. Where is the persistent subscription activity notification at the top? I REALLY miss that. I don't like having to hunt for topic subscription updates. Show it to me all the time like on the old forum.

Probably more whining to come. :wink:

Apr 26, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 1,792
Honestly I didn't find anything wrong with the old UI even if it was a bit bland. Also there's more ad banners for various companies that I like, but otherwise I'll see how I adjust to it in the next couple weeks or so

Apr 26, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 1,792
It's more colorful, so there's that. But I did liked the previous layout better.
This one seems to me like a candid magazine, where everything is glittery, the content has been pushed to a side, and rest of the space is just banners, advertisements.
Looks a bit too cluttered and difficult to read. Just my 2 cents.

Apr 26, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 1,792
More:

1. Front page does not recognize that you are logged into the forums. It shows a "log in" button even though you are already logged in.

2. Watched thread list defaults to a collapsed state where ONLY the threads with new activity are shown, forcing an action to see all threads. I think the default should be in expanded state, or that it should be a user-configurable setting. I use that page as a list of threads I am interested in for reference purposes, and frequently go back to threads without new activity to check something.

3. Ginormous banner ad across top of page overlaps and covers the breadcrumb navigation (Firefox, Win10).

4. With the change, Auto-subscribe and auto-notify settings have reverted to both being off. This may prove frustrating for many. Should be announced.

5. Related to #1, authentication appears to be wonky throughout various sections of the site. If I click on the link provided by Joe above, https://head-fi.org/f/watched/threads, I get an error page telling me I have to be logged in, despite my being logged in.

I've seen this with PayPal, banking websites, etc., with the shift to responsive design now focusing almost exclusively on mobile visitors, general usability takes a big step backwards. What used to be one click is now two. Information that was displayed en masse is now buried in subentries.

Information is just harder to find.

It may be easier for people who only exist on cellphones, but for those operating in a traditional desktop environment, everything takes longer.

*grumble* AND STAY OFF MY LAWN!!!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 1,792
Found a few more things; edited above. Would you prefer I make new replies as bugs are discovered rather than updating the original post(s)?

Apr 26, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 1,792
A few things from my limited interaction so far:

1) Missing the ability to scroll recent posts on the home page, but I can go here for that: https://www.head-fi.org/f/find-new/149/posts But doesn't look like threads I am subscribed to are highlighted anymore. A nice feature when scrolling through new posts.

2) Can't figure out how to mark a classified as closed, bump a classified, or change the price in a classified.

3) Agree that I miss the drop-down option to go to a specific sub-forum. That was such a quick and easy way to get right to the IEM forum, or the Headphones for Sale Forum. Multiple clicks not needed.

AND, I'm curious to hear what added functionality and features have been added! Hoping this is more than a cosmetic upgrade, since some great UI features are no longer there. Good luck with all the wrinkles!

Apr 26, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 1,792
Hey everyone! We've been working hard on this new platform, and we know we have more iterations to go.

I understand where you're coming from, heavyharmonies. We're working on refining it, and do value feedback. For your thread subscriptions, you can head here: https://head-fi.org/f/watched/threads

I tried the link you supplied but I get "The connection has timed out"...

Apr 26, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 1,792
It looks like there's a layout bug when the thread title spreads more than 1 line then the menu link will be shifted up and be hidden by the top banner.

Capture.JPG

Apr 26, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #15 of 1,792
Frankly, we lost a TON of functionality with this update. Including what seems like the ability to bump a classified posting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back