New Head-Fi Update
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #708 of 1,792
I have to say the mobile version looks a lot more usable to me, however the quote feature doesn't seem to work on mobile.

Many of the JS widgets on mobile (but sometimes also desktop) H-F have that error.

How come I keep getting bumped out and need to log in again....?

Do thay have a post limit per log-in...?

Seems like some sort of credentials issue. I wonder if it is tied with the undefined security errors that occur with clicking the widgets, attempting to view recent activity on profiles in the mobile version, etc. It happens less on the desktop version.

umm. why am I formally known as Male? Formerly known as oleWhiskey, bwrian, Male. ((Male))??

haha. why does my profile have Male at the very bottom? makes no sense. Is that from the site template. you all used and just forgot to take that off? LOL. I think its funny its on there but others may not care for that little Easter egg

People's personal information have been showing up inside that box. That includes birth date, age, and gender. I reckon it was something we had to fill in when initially signing up (it's been so long, I can't remember the signup process), but just never showed on our profiles on Huddler. Now that they've moved to Xenforo, all of this is public. I find it creepy and do hope that they remove it.

Any way to see when a person was last logged on or if a message was read?

Depending on their privacy settings, you can see right under the status on their profile page. It will look something like:
XXXXX was last seen:
Viewing XXX YYYYY, ZZZ ago.
This also shows if they are viewing their account settings, which I think is a bit too personal. I'd recommend setting the preferences to show activity to at least "Members", if not "People You Follow".

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 29, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #709 of 1,792
You can upload images by choosing "upload a file" below the composition window on the desktop view. Then click the thumbnail button to embed that image in the post.

If this was mentioned before, I apologize, but is there any way to search for our previous photo albums? For instance, everybody had one full of their avatar pictures by default. H-F's search is not that specific (although I did ask about search parameters earlier), and there's no way of filtering by album through any third-party search engine.

Apr 29, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #710 of 1,792
Pretty jarring change. A lot has been said here that was on point. It's the result of these changes that's a bit more unfortunate:

1) Privacy
  • Zero craps were given about user privacy. seriously. What.
  • The default settings in the privacy setting had me floored and should be inspected by all users.
  • This should have been a mandatory settings setup upon a user logging into the new site.
2) The site has taken a major hit in UX.
  • Navigation is no longer manageable at a glance (hopefully not for improving ad-selling metrics)
  • key waypoints are still a mess
  • and features users consider significant are no longer available (in-thread search and sales forum features for example)
  • I hope this can be addressed over time, sooner than later.
3) The overall design and approach is diluting or straight up hurting the brand.
  • The lack of staff to vet or manage the ad "experience" is an affront returning users
  • Even with user vs. visitor ad management, the layout is set up to manage the ad experience and this is readily observable. This inherently relegates users to being the second tier citizens here.
  • Gaps created by unbalanced ad placement look horrendous and just says "we don't really care"
  • Non-curated ads make the site look tacky and give the appearance of a cash-grab
  • There's very little identity, change the logo and this could be any site/forum
  • The site is only cohesive in the most general sense
  • What little original design assets there are, are unfortunately out of place with this attempt at a flat modern design.
  • Per the last 3 points and to be absolutely blunt: hire someone to do this right. You are in over your head or just don't care, neither of which is a good position.
Edited for rudeness =/

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #711 of 1,792
If this was mentioned before, I apologize, but is there any way to search for our previous photo albums? For instance, everybody had one full of their avatar pictures by default. H-F's search is not that specific (although I did ask about search parameters earlier), and there's no way of filtering by album through any third-party search engine.

At the moment I don't know of any methods to search for past photo albums, but I'll look into this.

Edit: Joe with the answer. See the next post.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #712 of 1,792

Once you do a search, click the "Search again" link in the upper right. There you can search pictures or albums and search by username to find them.

Apr 29, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #713 of 1,792
Thanks Joe. Seems like everything's still there. However, it looks like setting photos as an avatar through the gallery UI always results in an error.

Attemping to change it through the profile page fails as well, but it does not give an error page, instead it just resets back to your previous avatar without any prompting. (no way to strike this through without BBCode, so will italicize instead) I believe that changing the avatar through the profile page did work, but the effect was delayed, and it is not across all pages. It is a hassle to have to reupload pictures that are already in an existing album, though.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #716 of 1,792
@joe I just went to David Mahler's review of the flagships thread, wanting to quote his HD800 review, and none of the hyperlinks in that review seem to work. Can you guys please check it, when you have time?

Thank you,
RCB

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #717 of 1,792
Cleared cache and settings, restarted browser, and some JS widgets (like the multi-quote button and the switching to BBCode button) no longer give this security error on mobile (haven't tried desktop yet). However, browsing Recent Activity on the profile page on mobile still results in a security error. Uploading pictures, inserting quotes on mobile also does this.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #718 of 1,792
Pretty jarring change. A lot has been said here that was on point. It's the result of these changes that's a bit more unfortunate:

1) Privacy
  • Zero craps were given about user privacy. seriously. What.
  • The default settings in the privacy setting had me floored and should be inspected by all users.
  • This should have been a mandatory settings setup upon a user logging into the new site.
2) The site has taken a major hit in UX.
  • Navigation is no longer manageable at a glance (hopefully not for improving ad-selling metrics)
  • key waypoints are still a mess
  • and features users consider significant are no longer available (in-thread search and sales forum features for example)
  • I hope this can be addressed over time, sooner than later.
3) The overall design and approach is diluting or straight up hurting the brand.
  • The lack of staff to vet or manage the ad "experience" is an affront returning users
  • Even with user vs. visitor ad management, the layout is set up to manage the ad experience and this is readily observable. This inherently relegates users to being the second tier citizens here.
  • Gaps created by unbalanced ad placement look horrendous and just says "we don't really care"
  • Non-curated ads make the site look tacky and give the appearance of a cash-grab
  • There's very little identity, change the logo and this could be any site/forum
  • The site is only cohesive in the most general sense
  • What little original design assets there are, are unfortunately out of place with this attempt at a flat modern design.
  • Per the last 3 points and to be absolutely blunt: hire someone to do this right. You are in over your head or just don't care, neither of which is a good position.
Edited for rudeness =/

Where did you find the privacy settings? I looked all over my profile and couldn't find it.

Also, it seems that on mobile, quoting is messed up. Clicking the quote button leads to a "added to multi quote" message with no actual quote in the comment box. I have to open the quote link in a new tab to quote someone.

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #720 of 1,792
how do you send a private message to another member?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back