New HD650 owner, some thoughts.
Sep 24, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by sc53
Good for you, you realized you should swap your tubes. I had 650's with my MG Head (stock cable) for many months before, thanks to Head-fi, I went on a serious upgrade kick, and they sounded superb with a tube-rolled MG Head. I think you've got yourself a great combo there, just keep experimenting with the tubes till you dial it in precisely.

Can you tell me what tubes you were running?

Sep 24, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #17 of 51
I would consider the HD650 considerably improved over the HD600. I would also say the MG Head OTL is a dark amplifier. I am also not convinced of its ability to drive the HD650 correctly. I had the HD650 + MG OTL-H. The OTL-H is said to superior to the OTL.

Sep 24, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by yf920
what is your apt?
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow yf920, that's one of the strangest lines of questioning I've ever seen. Are you some kind of pervert or what? You're freakin' me out.

AuroraProject I found the Senn 600's to be too dark and uncomfortable for my liking. I traded them for some Grado SR225's and very happy I did. Sounds like from your later posts you're getting them dialed in right though so glad to hear you're enjoying them
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
I have not connected the Zu Mobius yet, but it would take a lot to open up the highs to what I was expecting.

You should swap the cables, might as well break-in HDs and Zu at the same time. OEM cable will only get darker with time.

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Can you tell me what tubes you were running?

Try to use RCA cleartop 12AX7 if you can find one.

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
OEM cables get darker after time? Wouldn't that imply cans get darker after time as well? I have not experienced either.

Hmmm... I ment headphones. I was thinking of cables and that's what I ended up typing. I do remember the sound turning darker after several hundred of hours.

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
I would also say the MG Head OTL is a dark amplifier. I am also not convinced of its ability to drive the HD650 correctly. I had the HD650 + MG OTL-H. The OTL-H is said to superior to the OTL.

You hit the nail on the head here. I've been swapping tubes for hours, listening and swapping, swapping and listening. Then I grew tired of the sound and decided to try the 650's with my ipod/Xin Superdual (yes it powers them) and low and behold the combo sounds decent. I cannot seem to get that amp (MG Head) to sound how I want it to which is odd because it sounded great with my Ety's. There seems to be a large midrange hump I can't seem to get rid of with the MG Head, everything sounds boomy and the treble is rolled off.

Oh well, my Gilmore Lite will be here by Saturday so I'll try the 650's with it and hope for the best.

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

I cannot seem to get that amp (MG Head) to sound how I want it to which is odd because it sounded great with my Ety's. There seems to be a large midrange hump I can't seem to get rid of with the MG Head, everything sounds boomy and the treble is rolled off.

Oh well, my Gilmore Lite will be here by Saturday so I'll try the 650's with it and hope for the best.

I had owned ASL OTL32 for few months in the past, and you pretty much have summerized some of their weaknesses. Although I wouldn't dismiss ASL amps like that. To me ASL amps including OTL32 was quite nice. I've done some tube rolling on my 12AU7 and I found RCA cleartops were the best, next to Amperex. However I wanted a better bass and slightly more extended high, and most of all, no hiss with low impedance cans. I eventually upgraded mine to RKV MKII and planning on buying Singlepower near future for home use.

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
I had owned ASL OTL32 for few months in the past, and you pretty much have summerized some of their weaknesses. Although I wouldn't dismiss ASL amps like that. To me ASL amps including OTL32 was quite nice. I've done some tube rolling on my 12AU7 and I found RCA cleartops were the best, next to Amperex. However I wanted a better bass and slightly more extended high, and most of all, no hiss with low impedance cans. I eventually upgraded mine to RKV MKII and planning on buying Singlepower near future for home use.

Hmm, maybe in the near future I'll devote some time and money to trying out some different tubes in the MG Head. Right now though time and money are two things I'm lacking! I'm definitely not dismissing the amp at this point, it just doesn't sound decent with the tubes I have right now. I'd love to audition one of the fabled Singlepower amps. Nor-Cal meet anyone?

Sep 24, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #27 of 51
the benchmark was bright with a pair of cd3ks, but its very nice with the 650s, its hard to do treble right on the sennheisers.
i now see the reason why geek put something like 'treat the hd 650s as a pair of 2000 headphones' in his info. other parts of the system have to be up to their jobs or its going to sound boring. oh well the road of headfi has no return...

Sep 24, 2004 at 7:56 AM Post #28 of 51
Quote:

I think you'll enjoy this combo. I'm having a blast right now!
600smile.gif

Sep 24, 2004 at 8:35 AM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Give them time and you will be rewarded. They'll open up and get that treble sparkle, probably from a combination of upgrade cable and psychological, driver, and headband break-in.

I second that. When I got my HD 650 it was dark and lacking treble as well. No comparison to how it sounds now. If I were you I'd burn in the Zu Mobius together with the headphone.

peacesign.gif

Sep 24, 2004 at 10:57 AM Post #30 of 51
The HD650 isn't dark, but it's not bright either. I think once you've weaned yourself off the unnatural sound of the ER-4S, you'll find yourself rewarded with the genuine detail and fluency of sound, as well as the more natural (although this is always subjective) rendition of the HD650. It does have a slight over-compensation towards pop/rock voicing, but with cheap or expensive sources (as long as you have a general idea of what you're supposed to be doing regarding pairing) I have to say I've never found the HD650 to be boring. In that way the voicing is a considerable improvement on the HD600 and as such I find it much better value as a very good $450 (but not a good $2,000
wink.gif
) phone.

There is a lot to be said about the acclimatisation process too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back